Been out of the Wii scene for a few years, help me get up to speed?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by seren3, Sep 9, 2018.

1. seren3
    OP

seren3 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2018
    United States
    So, long story short I lost some peripherals and I haven't touched my Wii in about three years. I finally got round to replacing some of them and I want to update my stuff, but I don't know how the scene has changed, and I'm concerned that I'll break something unexpectedly when I update.

My current setup is system menu 4.3U and has d2x v6 set up to work with USB Loader GX. Is it safe to update d2x? Do I need to update any other cios to run newer programs? Can I update straight to the latest USBGX without breaking? Do I need to update Dios Mios Lite? Has anything cool come out that's changed the scene in the last while? Also are there any workarounds to play Gamecube games with a Classic controller, or a PS3/generic usb controller? I haven't replaced my GC controllers yet.

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Crappy Chiptunist

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    - You can update the d2x cIOSes directly, latest I know it's v10 now.
    - You won't need any other cIOS.
    - You can update USB Loader GX directly and nothing should break, unless you used a very old version. Though it's not a very difficult thing to solve, usually by using default configurations.
    - DIOS MIOS is now obsolete, use Nintendont instead to play Gamecube games.
    - Nintendont is the latest and coolest thing that happened in a while.
    - And finally, using Nintendont will let you use any controllers, including Wiimote+Nunchuck, classic controller, WiiU Pro Controller and many HID compatible controllers via USB.

I hope that helps.

seren3 likes this.
  3. seren3
    OP

seren3 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2018
    United States
    That does really help a lot. Thank you!