Hacking Been out of the scene

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hello. :) Just recently, (Less than 2 hours from this post.) I bought a N3DS XL. And as the title states, I've been out-of-scene for quite some time. Please don't bash on me, I know hundreds of threads already exist. I want some help from our users to help me out with what's currently the best option of downgrading. This is a 9.9U N3DS XL. KTM was cancelled, I've been out of it, and overall I'm lost. I have a gateway card and I'd like to set up my SD card to downgrade to 9.2 and set up the ability to use GW EmuNand. I recently lost all the data on the SD card, so, it's a nice, fresh start. Anyone care to run me through the SAFEST way to downgrade to 9.2? Please don't be mean, I don't want to risk this device.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
At this point you'd be better off following Plailect's guide and setting up a9lh. You can stop after downgrading if you want though: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Because this is a brand new device, you won't lose anything by formatting it, so do that before downgrading, I suppose. It should be fine either way but better safe than sorry.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I've been hearing of this a9lh thing and I'd like to ask what method of booting EmuNand it uses if you don't mind?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I've been hearing of this a9lh thing and I'd like to ask what method of booting EmuNand it uses if you don't mind?
a9lh is an exploit that lets you run arm9 code (needed to run CFW) at boot, this means that you get a stock-like boot (100% boot rate, stock boot speeds). It also means that no matter the firmware version it will work, so you can completely ditch emunand if you want.

GamingAori

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The a9lh currently doesn't work with the Gateway so wie recommen you to use Luma3ds instead which is a free, easy to use cfw

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
a9lh is an exploit that lets you run arm9 code (needed to run CFW) at boot, this means that you get a stock-like boot (100% boot rate, stock boot speeds). It also means that no matter the firmware version it will work, so you can completely ditch emunand if you want.
If my sysnand bricks, I'm screwed. I don't like the fact it uses the SysNand. :l But you said I can if I want. Everything to set up all this is on that page? I have my NNID unlinked from the old system and I'm basically ready to redownload all my stuff after it.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my sysnand bricks, I'm screwed. I don't like the fact it uses the SysNand. :l But you said I can if I want. Everything to set up all this is on that page? I have my NNID unlinked from the old system and I'm basically ready to redownload all my stuff after it.

You can unbrick the SysNand since A9LH loads before the OS loads. It's amazing.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Well, that isn't a problem on a9lh as even if CTRNAND is bricked you can still restore it as you run D9 before firmlaunch. That being said you can still use EmuNAND on a9lh, but there's little reason to.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ONLY reason I would see a person using EmuNand with A9LH, is if they are a developer, and they want a safe-to-use area to test their exploits, homebrew, or whatever the hell they're doing.

Other than that, it's sort of pointless.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm kinda confused... I just want to downgrade to 9.0 or 9.2 and use MSET like my old 3ds. I really am not interested in modifying the SysNand or using an EmuNand that is child proof or anything that won't work with GW.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda confused... I just want to downgrade to 9.0 or 9.2 and use MSET like my old 3ds. I really am not interested in modifying the SysNand or using an EmuNand that is child proof or anything that won't work with GW.
Like I said earlier, follow parts 1 and 2 of the guide for now then.

Reactions: nickwhit

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Gateway should release a new update with A9LH soon, so that's coming to everyone.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
But then I'm stuck and can't use my 3DS... I want to finish this today and play some MK7. :/
If you just need to downgrade follow parts 1 and 2 of the guide then set up Gateway however you do that. Although mine (and many others) recommendations would be to go for arm9loaderhax (especially because like @VinsCool said GW will release an a9lh compatible payload soon), it's certainly not required.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Is GW EmuNand completely safe with a9lh...? I'm (NOT) looking forward to a brick since getting ahold of a 3DS in my region is a pain in the ass. (And expensive as hell.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)