been out of the scene for a while...whats new?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cokeman118, May 20, 2009.

May 20, 2009
  1. cokeman118
    OP

Newcomer cokeman118 Advanced Member

United States
    Ok, I haven't been playing or messing with my wii for a while now...decided to come on here to see if anything is new. I see that a new system menu 4.0 is out with SD support. My wii is at USA v3.2, with whatever the older version of CIOSCORP was... It was pretty much new when I did it. Basically all my IOS's are at 249 if I remember correctly. I also have BootMii installed and the HBC. Disc channel works with backups, so...basically my question is if I follow the 4.0 update thread I can update to 4.0 no problems right? Can I just update my wii to 4.0 and then reinstall everything like the thread says? I just skimmed through it real quick but I'll go back to it. I've updated my system menu many times before when I had 3.2 and would always start from scratch that way. I've just been out so long I don't know what the latest hacks are.

Thanks.

2. icefireicefire

Member icefireicefire GBATemp Fails.

United States
    I'd stay the way you are unless you NEED to update for some reason.

3. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    What you should look into is the USB Loader. It's so much better than discs.

4. Praxis

Member Praxis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've never touched cIOSCORP, but System Menu 4.0 + USB Loader for all of your games is really the most amazing setup ever.

5. cokeman118
    OP

United States
    I'll look into the USB loader...how do the games run? Is there any lag due to transfer speed?

6. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    To the contrary load times are FASTER with the usb loader. Even over retail discs. Problems like the stuttering in house of the dead overkill are nonexistant when using a usb loader.

7. cokeman118
    OP

United States
    so I can upgrade to 4.0 and not even use the CIOSCORP and just use the USB loader then correct? Sounds pretty simple...now I just have to get a new USB drive

8. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The usb loader doesn't REQUIRE 4.0, but it does need cios rev 9 or 10 so install one of those first if you're on a lower version before you upgrade (some loaders require rev 10, but some people say there are a couple bugs in rev 10 so just look for a loader you like and go with the cios that it needs).

9. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Bootmii is out it allows backing up and restoring the NAND.

Nintendos sys menu 4.0 is great, faster copying, bigger (SDHC up to 32gb) SD cards and channels from SD (sort of)

A guy called Hermes has reworked some IOS to allow USB mics etc with USB backups too.

To get IOS and Menus you can now use a tool called NUS Downloader, get them direct from Nintendo.

Tantric has given all the Nintendo emulators (Nes, Snes & GB/GBA) a facelift and lots of extra features.

WiiPower has reworked SoftChip and the Gamma (named NeoGamma) loader to now allow many games that didn't work before, most notable is Sam & Max and also Far Cry now 100% working.

Forwarders are the new way of doing channels, and Multi Forwarders are the new forwarders.

Lots of emulators have been released, too many to mention, on April 1st the N64 Wii team showed a video of their up and coming emulator and it looks amazing.

Installing wads has changed now you only need 1 app wadmanager.

USB loaders have taken over [​IMG] you can make sort of shortcuts to games too that are tiny channels that launch a specific game from USB.

A coder called icefire (2nd post) has combined and improved upon several wad tools to make a n00b proof way of making channels called wadder.

Lots of tools and libs have been released to help coders so apps are getting made at a really rapid rate these days.

Waninkoko has started to release source for his apps now too, so expect many improvements from many people to his apps.

People have started to make their own custom menus, not custom in features yet, just looks but with bootmii expect that to change again soon. (I want a USB icon like the SD icon in my menu [​IMG] )

Dolphin the Wii/GameCube emulator has come a long way too meaning you can do a lot of testing to things on pc before adding to the Wii.

I've missed out loads from the last month or two but thought I'd type quickly and see what sprang to mind. Maybe give you a suggestion or two for things to look into.

10. cokeman118
    OP

United States
    sounds like a lot of cool stuff. So if I already have cIOSCORP installed, when I update will it revert all the IOS's back to normal? Some of my backups only work when patched to IOS 249 and running through the disc channel. If I use a USB loader do the ISO's need patched or are they all working 1:1? Also will patched ISO's work with USB loaders? For any patched ISO's I made I also kept a 1:1 so some ISO backups I have doubles, just incase I ever needed a 1:1. Keep in mind I have the ISO files on my hard drive so I know with USB I don't need the physical disc.

I was reading about cIOSCORP v2 but it seems there are still bugs...also read about getting CIOS60BF or just getting certain IOS out of the cIOSCORP v2 package. Sounds kind of complex right now, with so many different threads saying different things, I want to make sure I know what to do before I mess with my wii again. I was also reading about a new version of BootMii that is susposed to have a newer cIOSCORP that is built in for SM 4.0. Or is it SoftMii...damn, now I'm getting confused [​IMG] I downloaded SoftMii 2.1.1 which is the latest correct?? I believe I used SoftMii for my 3.2 SM. With all this new stuff out, and more than one guide, and tons of threads....it's a lot to go though right now. That is why I'm asking these specific questions.

One other thing, got cIOS rev10, like someone posted it seems to have bugs and I should use rev9 correct? Haven't installed anything yet...just gathering everything I need before I start. I got everything in the 4.0 guide.

If I use the upgrader, does it only update certain IOS's? Back when I did 3.2 system menu I remember I could just "reinstall" the 3.2 system menu and basically have a fresh wii ("factory") and then install everything else I needed (cIOSCORP) and if I ever messed up, I could just start over with a 3.2 system menu install...which I have as a WAD actually. Just wondering if going to 4.0 is similar.
    I also read about "banner bomb" but haven't went into detail...this is the exploit with 4.0 correct...no more twilight hack.

Lastly with USB loading, do these work as if they are loading from the actually DVD drive, or do they work just like the regular disc loaders where there are compatibility issues and patching involved. I understand they are loading from a ISO file, but does the wii know any better hardware wise? Is this working sort of like the FlatMii where the DVD drive is bypassed.

Sorry for all the questions, but sifting through tons of threads, guides, and contradicting statements can really be a PITA [​IMG]

Any help I would appreciate! And thanks for the help thus far.

11. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    usbloader has next to NO compatibility issues, only a few games like sam and max and the metroid 1 remake don't work because they use two IOS's and switch during the game or something like that.

12. ricflairandy

Member ricflairandy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    im in the same situation, not looked at the scene for a few ,months.

Im currently using a jap wii, changed with anyregion changer to usa 3.2 it also has a d2ckey chip. What would i need to install to start using usb loader. Also, can you run wiiware games from usb?

13. cokeman118
    OP

United States
    Well, I upgraded to system menu 4.0 last night using the 4.0 guide...couldn't get any easier [​IMG] Not sure why so many people were/are having problems with it according to a lot of the threads about it. I installed the BootMii as an IOS, but from what I read you have to have the latest Homebrew Channel installed to load the BootMii menu...but then you loose some SD support. So until a new Homebrew Channel gets made that fixes it, I'm keeping my current channel. Besides I have preloader installed and it pretty much functions the same. I wanted to backup my NAND before I did the menu upgrade just incase something happened. No big deal though. I haven't installed cIOSCORP and not sure if I will right now. I loaded a 1:1 backup with Gamma that I had on 3.2 and it worked fine. If I go the USB route, which seems the best right now, I probably wont need to use the disc channel for backups. I just don't have a USB drive right now, so that is the next thing I'll need to get. Still looking into the SD menu stuff, and VC/Wii ware running off of SD.

Can anyone give me a quick run on how that works?? Before I would just install the VC/Wii ware WAD with wad installer and get a channel for that wad. Do the wads load off of the SD card now...or is it a different process??

Thanks.