Been out of the Scene awhile, Need some help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by RiotShooter, Jul 19, 2009.

Jul 19, 2009
  1. RiotShooter
    OP

Member RiotShooter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So as the title says i have been out of the scene for a while now. I have a wiikey installed with the lastest firmware for that. I dont remember what it is exactly but i dont think it really matters. My wiis current firmware is 3.1u. I have the homebrew channel installed with some wiiware and vc games that i've put on it. I want to update to 4.0 so i'm able to use the sd card to hold vc and wiiware games but i'm a little unsure on how to do so. Yes, i have checked out the guides but it still doesnt make much sense to me. I'm confused by bootmii and hackmii and every other type of ____wii thing they have come out with these past few months. I still want to be able to play my copied wii games and gc games. So what exactly do i need to install to make everything work the way it does now but with the newer features?

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The WiiKey should ensure you can play your backups.

BootMii can hijack the Wii's boot process in case you get bricked. The HackMii installer is the new, all-in-one installer that gives you DVDx, BootMii, and the HBC.

All you really need to do is run something to upgrade to 4.0/4.1 (4.1 just patches a Wii Sports Resort issue). Waninkoko's Firmware Upgrader or Nintendo's update service can give you either one. (Nintendo will fix the fakesigning bug in all of their IOSes, so install a cIOS prior to upgrading.)

If your WiiWare/VC games were pirated (shame on you!), do not move them to your SD card to play via the SD Menu. The IOS will reject the pirated games since they are fakesigned. (No problems if you keep it on your Wii, though.) If you want to run pirated games in the SD Menu, I *think* you need to use Dop-IOS on IOS60.

3. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    To get around that issue with the SD Menu, all you have to do is install a patched version of IOS60.

4. RiotShooter
    OP

Member RiotShooter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What cIOS are you talking about that i need to install prior to upgrading?