Hacking Been out of the loop for awhile. Has the 3DS battery drain on DS flashcarts been fixed?

Helios747

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I didn't know which forum it belonged under, considering the subject.

So, a long time ago (2ish years?) I bought a Supercard DSTWO to play DS ROMs after lurking these forums and reading countless threads to make sure I was making the right purchase from the right website. Worked great. The only snag was that I couldn't leave the cart in my 3DS XL in sleep mode for extended periods of time because it for some reason drained the battery REALLY quick.

I haven't really touched my DSTWO much lately beyond keeping it updated to circumvent 3DS firmware updates. Is there a better DS flashcart out there now a days that doesn't have the battery drain problem?

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Any of the R4i stuff won't have that effect because they don't have a separate CPU on the card itself. I don't know that there is a 'fixed' card with a CPU that won't drain battery while in sleep mode.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
That's probably what the + in DSTWO+ is all about - fixes the power drain in sleep mode

(and yes, almost any new R4i card will do ds roms with no power drain in sleep)

Reactions: Margen67

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
That's probably what the + in DSTWO+ is all about - fixes the power drain in sleep mode

(and yes, almost any new R4i card will do ds roms with no power drain in sleep)

If it's like the drain which occurs with the Gateway then I wouldn't' think so. Who knows though.

Doesn't the DSTWO drain DS/DSi battery in sleep too? I don't think this is a 3DS specific problem. I'm not even sure this belongs on the 3DS forum (as opposed to the DS forum)

Helios747

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard it had something to do with the DSTWO's on card CPU. I might look into getting a different card. The metal contacts are getting a bit crappy on my DSTWO and doesn't always read properly.

The R4i is worth looking into?

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
I heard it had something to do with the DSTWO's on card CPU. I might look into getting a different card. The metal contacts are getting a bit crappy on my DSTWO and doesn't always read properly.

The R4i is worth looking into?

R4i has been cloned to oblivion, so can't be 100% sure, there was a period a while back where a few R4i look-a-likes got locked out by firmware updates, but most retailers will say if they're compatible. Shouldn't need to pay more than $10 for one btw

Helios747

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool! Seems like a pretty cheap fix to rectify that pesky battery drain. I never ended up using a bunch of the DSTWO's features anyways. I believe the only reason I got it was for the automatic AP bypass with untouched pokemon ROMs. Although apparently it's easy to get patched ROMs now? So yeah. I'll probably look into R4i. Thanks!

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Cool! Seems like a pretty cheap fix to rectify that pesky battery drain. I never ended up using a bunch of the DSTWO's features anyways. I believe the only reason I got it was for the automatic AP bypass with untouched pokemon ROMs. Although apparently it's easy to get patched ROMs now? So yeah. I'll probably look into R4i. Thanks!
Most loaders were made compatible with unpatched B2/W2 a few weeks after they launched. Nowadays I just assume every DS flashcart has 100% compatibility with clean ROMs. Even my ancient AK2i manages this.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country

A lot of the issues with the later pokemon roms (black/white) could be fixed simply by reformatting your sd card with a proper tool https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

At least that fixed the issue with the Pokemon White rom for me, and I wasted a lot of time downloading all sorts of patched roms before I discovered the SD Card reformat solution

(backup everything on the sd card (just copy and paste into a windows folder for example), do the reformat with the formatting tool, and copy everything back)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: