Question Been out of the loop for a while, Nintendo Switch online + Homebrew safety?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by themperror, Sep 28, 2018.

1. themperror
    OP

themperror GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    Ok so like the title mentions I've been out of the switch homebrew game for some time now since my left Joycon started showing issues with the analog stick it's been dusting away, I've recently sent it in for repairs and am awaiting it back.

Now... The last time I did -anything- homebrew was basically run Duke Nukem 3D through the album app on 4.1 back when the RCM bug was brand-new and we were all playing around with 3D printed jigs or paperclips. This is quite some time back and my switch has never been online since before that.

Now I'll be wanting to play some of the newer games (and online as well) though I've heard nintendo stepped up it's security.

If I make a backup of my current NAND (providing the 1 or 2 homebrew launches aren't enough to ban me already) and update my device after, can I play online "without risks"? Also could I use my nand backup for any homebrew purposes then or potentially back up my games and play those?

With that said I'll also ask if there's a "dual-nand" solution to easily switch between my NAND's then? Like 1 for legit purposes ('clean') and 1 for homebrew and all that stuff?

I have never "installed" any titles as far as I know (unless copying homebrew to SD card would count as installing), so no pirated games or anything.

Am I still good?

2. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Your NAND isn't clean as you already ran homebrew. So forget about online

3. themperror
    OP

Aug 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    have people been confirmed banned for just running homebrew once?

Also seems there's something called creport that I could use to delete any logs about that?

Last edited by themperror, Sep 28, 2018
  4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes, especially on firmware 6.0. Whether or not you will be banned is not up to us to decide but rather Nintendo.

5. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Only one person has said they were banned for just homebrew, many people including me haven't been banned from just using homebrew

6. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    People have been confirmed banned for just running homebrew, yes. Basically if you want to play online safely don't hack. even JUST homebrew can get you banned, especially now

7. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    NO.

If its just homebrew without crashes... you might be totally safe :)

8. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Ummmmm...yes, yes they have. And there's no such thing as "totally safe"

9. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    I can assure you that is Fake News, homebrew only wont get you banned. I am living proof. Restored my savefiles from my banned console to my new console and all is good.

10. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    I was online with homebrew until July, made a NAND backup and stayed offline until a few days ago, restored it and I've been fine back online

11. Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    Sweden
    You're probably fine, but there's a possibility that you may get banned. I've been running homebrew for a while now with no issues. NSP installation, using CFW online, and crash reports seem to be what cause bans. If you truly don't want to be banned, stop using homebrew altogether.

12. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Check the reports, it's happened. Just because it didn't happen to YOU doesn't mean it wont happen to other people. Cause it has. ESPECIALLY on OFW 6.0

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can check the spreadsheet for people appended with the tag (Homebrew) if they were banned for only using homebrew. Of note, all but one of these users were on firmware 6.0 when it happened. I have also contacted all of these people for follow-up with some responding while others haven't so do keep that in mind.

14. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    What do you mean? They used homebrew, updated to 6 and then got banned? Or used homebrew on a console with 6.0 and got banned?

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Its hard to capture that level of precision in the data but I imagine most of the cases followed the former leading me to believe that firmware 6.0 has increased telemetry compared to previous firmwares (which is a given).

alexj9626 likes this.
  16. themperror
    OP

Aug 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    While we're at it, If I back up my 4.1 NAND and then proceed to update, I can't restore it anymore right? Because the fuses get burned?

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Depends. If you update through official means, you will burn fuses. However, you can update without burning fuses if you use a homebrew app called ChoiDujourNX.

18. Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    Sweden
    You have to options here:

1) Update without RCM = burned fuses.
    2) Update with RCM = no burned fuses for as long as you don't boot without RCM.

Either way, you can still downgrade back to 4.1. However, if you do option 1, RCM mode is now required to boot back into your 4.1 firmware.

Last edited by Freezerbomb, Sep 29, 2018
  19. themperror
    OP

Aug 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    Hmm but if I boot with RCM and go online I might get banned right?, So requiring RCM for my 4.1 FW doesn't matter.

There is no Dual NAND solution yet right?
    Also, Is there anything I should look out for, or any specific tools/programs to use (CFW or anything?)

20. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    There kind of is but it's on the SX OS, meaning you have to pay for it. But even that wont keep you safe online