Hacking Been out of DS homebrew/backup/carts for over a decade, need advice!

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title suggests, I haven't been in Ds homebrew hacking, flashcards or backups for many years. My wife want's a 3DS and I told her I would buy one only is a good flashcard solution was available. So, I guess you can consider me the newest of newbs when it comes to 3DS since I have never even owned a 3ds. Back int he day, DS card stuff was easy as pie with the right setup. I am a veteran of XBOX, PS2 and GameCube hacking and mods so I don't need to be taught how to double-click an icon, only I DO need some advice on what the best available setup for 3DS is. I will be buying a brand new, never used, new 3DS XL so I will assume it's on a late version of the firmware. If all you guys would have access to was a brand new unit right from Walmart, what solution would you choose for homebrew, rom loading etc? Homebrew being especially important.

Just start with the assumption I have no idea about any kind of 3DS hacks and you will be on the right track in helping me make my wife the happiest woman on the planet. :D

In advance, I will say thank you to anyone willing to spend some time helping me find a good solution to get into 3ds stuff. If any community can do it, it's you all!

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just use https://3ds.guide/
if you get the right 3ds version you can do it without paying for a flashcard
but some new 3ds have the newest version and you need a flashcard for that
its really simple and easier than other consoles just read that guide before buying anything
Hey, thanks for the heads up on that! I was super confused with all the contradicting information from my google searches. For reasons any married man will likely relate to, it must be the Galaxy New3DSXL which seems to require a flashcard based on the info I can glean. The process seems to be super simple but it kind of blows my mind imagining a physical magnet being required to trip the sleep mode sensor. I get the biggest tickle out of that one fact. :rofl2:

Again, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction here, should be a cinch to get this rolling with the prerequisite hardware. :yay3ds:

Reactions: NoNoNeko

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, since you have been so helpful already, I was wondering... Do you have a recommendation of an easy flashcard to use? I do intend to switch it to normal DS mode once the bootloader and all is installed. I was looking at the R4i Gold 3DS Plus that is listed in that guide you posted. Would you buy this one if you were starting from scratch and didn't have any other equipment lying around? Thanks a lot for the help!

EDIT: Sorry, I olny ask because I have my CC out and am ready to buy but am a tad torn on which one I want. :P

Last edited by cammelspit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool