Hacking Been away for some time - can the Vita run PSP games or PS2 games?

dancooper93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can the Vita be hacked for a start?

And if so, can it run PSP ISO's extracted from UMD's or PS2 games?

If so, how do I do this?

Thanks!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's never been able to play PS2 games.

There is official support for PSP games, but only those bought online.

There has been some homebrew, but they rely on online shop games and Sony is pulling+patching those exploits within hours sometimes, and even then it only gives you a limited PSP-mode (usermode homebrew only).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There has been some homebrew, but they rely on online shop games and Sony is pulling+patching those exploits within hours sometimes, and even then it only gives you a limited PSP-mode (usermode homebrew only).
Total Noob's solution gives you kernel access, so it's a CFW equivalent for the Vita's PSP sandbox. That said, yes, you gotta hunt down an exploit first.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Total Noob's solution gives you kernel access, so it's a CFW equivalent for the Vita's PSP sandbox. That said, yes, you gotta hunt down an exploit first.
Did that ever actually, you know, come out in a usable form?

'Cause if not then it's not relevant to the OP, who I'm sure is more interested in what's actually possible. :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So was I thinking of something else that had the game name leaked early and patched?
Probably. I'm not sure I'm familiar with what you're referring to. In any case, all the latest exploits involving eCFW were kernel exploits - first a usermode exploit was executed and then the rights were elevated, allowing for eCFW installation. This method still works in 2.00 and 2.01, but the name of the game involved has not yet been released.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
In order to get the next exploit, I would thinks that he would need to download the exploited game from PSN first (once named, before pulled/patched by Sony). In order to use PSN, he would need to update first, right?

So there's little point in holding back from updates unless you happen to already have an exploitable game (unlikely).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In order to get the next exploit, I would thinks that he would need to download the exploited game from PSN first (once named, before pulled/patched by Sony). In order to use PSN, he would need to update first, right?

So there's little point in holding back from updates unless you happen to already have an exploitable game (unlikely).
Yup - that's entirely correct. Besides, there are already videos on wololo showing an exploit working on 2.01, so yeah - we all might as well stay up-to-date.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup - that's entirely correct. Besides, there are already videos on wololo showing an exploit working on 2.01, so yeah - we all might as well stay up-to-date.

for People like me and others who have not got a eCFW compatable game yet, this is true, but for those that can already run eCFW, its bad as you would need to buy a new game again and try to not miss the window to get it.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
for People like me and others who have not got a eCFW compatable game yet, this is true, but for those that can already run eCFW, its bad as you would need to buy a new game again and try to not miss the window to get it.
Nope.

http://wololo.net/2012/12/08/did-you-miss-the-ninja-release-then-hurry-up-and-get-ecfw/

Also what's so bad about buying a game to play other games? It's not like the exploitable games have cost that much so far compared to the price of the console?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope.

http://wololo.net/2012/12/08/did-you-miss-the-ninja-release-then-hurry-up-and-get-ecfw/

Also what's so bad about buying a game to play other games? It's not like the exploitable games have cost that much so far compared to the price of the console?

It does over time. it has the same effect as Microtransactions. a 5-20$ every now and then is nothing compared to the Vita but after 5 times of doing it. you have spent 25-100$ buying exploit games depending on their price. a little over 1/3 of the cost of a vita.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It does over time. it has the same effect as Microtransactions. a 5-20$ every now and then is nothing compared to the Vita but after 5 times of doing it. you have spent 25-100$ buying exploit games depending on their price. a little over 1/3 of the cost of a vita.
Then again, how much do you know of the original PSP hacking and how it was done regarding the price point? Wololo.net has a good post regarding that too.

http://wololo.net/2012/12/18/psp-exploits-and-the-vita-how-hacking-psp-minis-became-relevant/

It may not be good to buy a new game every time an exploit is released, but it sure is the only way to get an exploit running on the current PSVita. The PSP hacking changed when the private keys for the PS3 were released since the PSP keys were bundled with the results of that hack. Before that, it was pretty much a public demo not via PSN or a game with an exploitable feature. Just like the Wii and pre-Letterbomb hacking.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then again, how much do you know of the original PSP hacking and how it was done regarding the price point? Wololo.net has a good post regarding that too.

http://wololo.net/2012/12/18/psp-exploits-and-the-vita-how-hacking-psp-minis-became-relevant/

It may not be good to buy a new game every time an exploit is released, but it sure is the only way to get an exploit running on the current PSVita. The PSP hacking changed when the private keys for the PS3 were released since the PSP keys were bundled with the results of that hack. Before that, it was pretty much a public demo not via PSN or a game with an exploitable feature. Just like the Wii and pre-Letterbomb hacking.

but with PSP and Wii hacking, the games were usually available on disk/UMD so you could rent one to exploit the console, i rented Twilight Princess back when the Twilight hack came out. now, since the games are digital only, the exploits until now were focusing on full games and not mini's making it expensive to buy a game since you can not rent digital games and sony charging near or at full price for digital copies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol