Hacking Been away for a while - Few Gateway Questions

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi folks,

I've been away for a while so I'm playing catchup. I have a 3DS XL on 9.2 and just have a few questions about Gateway...

1) Regarding the blue card, since it's no longer used for the new exploit, could I still use it to play DS games (there's only 1 I want to play to be honest)?

2) I plan on installing online-enabled games (Smash, MH4U, etc) as .cia and other games as .3ds, to use my console header for online games. I read a while ago somewhere that Nintendo was starting to ban...?? Is that still occurring or is it safe to play .cia files online?

3) Regarding dlc, how does that all work out? To my knowledge, you download dlc as .cia. So if you already have Smash for example, as a .cia, and want to install new dlc, do you delete the existing Smash and "obtain"/install the new Smash .cia (with the new dlc), or is it only the new dlc? Will the new dlc have it's own .cia icon (I wouldn't think so since it's only dlc. I imagine it just... merges with the existing game? I dunno)

4) Also read that the new emunand (9.6 I believe?) is not functioning as of yet. Is there anything different I should do when setting up gateway + gateway for the 1st time, to ensure that I only install 9.5 instead of 9.6?

5) Last one! Is there anything that a new user should be weary as to not do? Is it still adviseable to not go into System Management (As it would wipe all of your .cia and .cia saves), or is there a workaround for that?

Thanks!!!

rickycoe123

Trophies
XP
Country
1. Yes you can use it to play DS games.
2. Using a .cia is fine to play online.
3. Your correct.
4. Just create and it will be fine :)
5. Do not enter it, I done that mistake and deleted everything.

Reactions: Kenneth196

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Yes, you can still use it to play DS roms, but you'll need to download the whitelist cia file and install it using devmenu/bigbluemenu. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-use-blocked-ds-flashcards-on-3ds-probably-n3ds-too.376719/
  2. It's mostly safe to play online using .cia. For .3dz, you have to use a private header(s) from a game you physically own yourself.
  3. I don't know how that works since I don't play games as .cia. I just think that you can install the .cia update and you'll be fine.
  4. EmuNAND 9.6 does not work on New3DS since it has a new encryption that Gateway needs to break through. Not sure about the Old3DS, but you're fine where you are. There's not much of a difference between 9.2 and 9.5. The only thing that would stop you is if there's a game that requires a higher firmware. For example, Codename Steam which has the 9.4 update. You can update EmuNAND 9.2 to 9.4 using Codename Steam through the Gateway menu, but you have to buy the game yourself to do that. The method to upgrade the EmuNAND 9.2 to 9.4 through Gateway menu can be answered by someone else because I've never done it before and I forgot what the procedures were.
  5. Yes, going into System Management would delete all your installed .cia stuff.

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Yes, you can still use it to play DS roms, but you'll need to download the whitelist cia file and install it using devmenu/bigbluemenu. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-use-blocked-ds-flashcards-on-3ds-probably-n3ds-too.376719/
  2. It's mostly safe to play online using .cia. For .3dz, you have to use a private header(s) from a game you physically own yourself.
  3. I don't know how that works since I don't play games as .cia. I just think that you can install the .cia update and you'll be fine.
  4. EmuNAND 9.6 does not work on New3DS since it has a new encryption that Gateway needs to break through. Not sure about the Old3DS, but you're fine where you are. There's not much of a difference between 9.2 and 9.5. The only thing that would stop you is if there's a game that requires a higher firmware. For example, Codename Steam which has the 9.4 update. You can update EmuNAND 9.2 to 9.4 using Codename Steam through the Gateway menu, but you have to buy the game yourself to do that. The method to upgrade the EmuNAND 9.2 to 9.4 through Gateway menu can be answered by someone else because I've never done it before and I forgot what the procedures were.
  5. Yes, going into System Management would delete all your installed .cia stuff.

Thanks for the prompt responses you two - much appreciated. I'll test the .dlc install later when I cross that bridge so no biggie on that.

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post - if I needed to go into System Management for any reason (I've probably only been in there once just out of curiosity), could I go in there through the Gateway menu (if that's possible? I don't have a Gateway yet so pardon my ignorance)?

Ohhhh also... I *think* I read in the install instructions that you have to format your Sysnand. I could be wrong. But if so, then would that delete basically everything (specifically, mii stuff)? I played the mii dungeon game (forgot what it's called) a lot and got a number of items so just curious...

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post - if I needed to go into System Management for any reason (I've probably only been in there once just out of curiosity), could I go in there through the Gateway menu (if that's possible? I don't have a Gateway yet so pardon my ignorance)?

You can on EmuNAND, but it's still not a good idea.

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go ahead and unlink them and go into system management to see what happens, but I still say that you shouldn't go into system management no matter how curious you are.

What if you're super duper curious and someone offers you $1 mill to do it?!?!? Lol jk. That's a good point though.

Monty: Thanks Monty. I think I'll take Linkmstr's advice and just now go into it at all (when I buy a Gateway).

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post again!! Thank you all for your help. One last question.

Regarding the blue card, I have a friend who's daughter has a 3DS, and I was thinking about giving it to her to play DS games. Is there anything special that would need to be done, or can I just throw games on it and she can play it like any other flashcard?

Jim~

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep the blue card. You should use gateway's downgrade method to put yourself on 4.x sysnand, then you can use the blue card to install the old ds-profile method. The browser exploit launcher is a pain because you need to enable wifi (which can result in you accidentally getting an update nag)and either have an internet connection or a phone which can host the exploit with tethering every time you need to launch gateway.

Blue Lamb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5) Last one! Is there anything that a new user should be weary as to not do? Is it still adviseable to not go into System Management (As it would wipe all of your .cia and .cia saves), or is there a workaround for that?

I thought this was for accessing Data Management - or are we thinking the same thing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.