Hacking Been a while since I've last been on, now I want to know a few things...

kado2999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has been quite a while since I've last been on. My old 3DS XL is still on 4.01 Firmware and still using the Gateway 3DS Flashcard along with it's emunand. Last time I was on was almost 2 years ago when Gateway 3DS released it's own way of using cheats. But now I'm coming back and new things has happened so before I decide to goto CFW, I really need to have these questions answered.

1 - What is the risk of being banned playing cartridge/rom/.cia games online on a CFW?

2 - If any Nintendo Updates come through will it always be safe to update it via the CFW?

3 - Will my 3DS be banned by Nintendo for just using a CFW to shop on eShop?

4 - How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

5 - Will I still be able to use my flashcards on a CFW?

6 - Are there any known games that does not seem to work on CFW?

7 - Will I be able to backup my SYSNand and my emuNand that I originally had before moving to CFW and restore it should I choose to return it to it's original state?

That's basically all the questions I have before I decide to move on.

doughmay

Huh. Time went by fast.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. ROMS have high chances of getting banned by using a public header and CFW doesn't get you banned and CIAS are the safest way to go.

2. FW updates are very tough sometimes so be patient and keep an eye on the forums don't update until the OK has been granted by multiple users
3. Nah I somtiemes use Eshop on my CFW and it's fine.

4. Smea

5. Yes I have used mine, just make sure your cart has latest kernel, also don't use gateway anymore after following 3DS.guide you can convert saves from gateway to CIA saves and use freeshop to get your titles back easy and simple.
6. Not that I know I've used all kinds of games even out of region
7. Yeah it's in the tutorial on 3DS.guide

ALSO use like a 16gb as cars for CFW if you want all of your games back and then some. DONT FOLLOW VIDEO GUIDES. Use 3ds.guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by doughmay,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 - What is the risk of being banned playing cartridge/rom/.cia games online on a CFW?
1a. dont cheat and none 1b. dont cheat dont play online before release and use a private headder none 1c. dont cheat dont play online before release and no risk
2 - If any Nintendo Updates come through will it always be safe to update it via the CFW?
people normally say its always safe but in reality as with any unofficial piracy method you should always look it up before updating
no

more than i can stack before they fall over

yes

no

7 - Will I be able to backup my SYSNand and my emuNand that I originally had before moving to CFW and restore it should I choose to return it to it's original state?
yes. . . although the process will be different than you describe

Reactions: MeAndHax

kado2999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok you guys convinced me. Now I ask where should I start since I'm still using the emunand that Gateway had installed.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Am I suppose to boot the decrypt9.3ds on my Emunand or my Sysnand. As sysnand is giving me a black screen when trying to boot it.
There is no Decrypt9.3ds in the guide, where did you get that from? Everything should be done on sysNAND. What page, section and step are you doing exactly?

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
After you get cfw, either stop using gateway or KEEP your emunand ONLY for using gateway. As it has been proven that using gateway on the latest version (11.3) can leave you SoL with an unhacked console in 11.3, removing cfw and rendering even your GW useless on that FW.

This is due to the gateway card NOT having firmware protection (this avoids that anyone or nintendo can overwrite your cfw) luma and other cfw support firm protection. But gateway does not.

So if you want to get the best out of both worlds after putting a9lh+cfw keep your sysnand on 9.2 and update your emunand to 11.3 there you'll be completely safe and be able to keep using GW PLUS getting to use the rest of your console's SD card for more backups.

Reactions: DarthDub

kado2999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no Decrypt9.3ds in the guide, where did you get that from? Everything should be done on sysNAND. What page, section and step are you doing exactly?
I clicked the get started button and it gave me this link: https://3ds.guide/get-started
and then following that, I clicked the appropriate image for my 3DS which then lead me to this link: https://3ds.guide/get-started-(old-3ds)
then following that, since my console FW is 4.0 and does not have a browser, I clicked the Decrypt9 (MSET) link: https://3ds.guide/decrypt9-(mset)
I then downloaded the lasted Decrypt9WIP on the page, loaded the loader.dat and Decrypt9WIP.dat onto the root of my SD Card along with creating a new folder called files9. I then loaded the Decrypt.3ds onto my microSD card on my R4 flashcard and now when I boot it, it gives me a black screen.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I clicked the get started button and it gave me this link: https://3ds.guide/get-started
and then following that, I clicked the appropriate image for my 3DS which then lead me to this link: https://3ds.guide/get-started-(old-3ds)
then following that, since my console FW is 4.0 and does not have a browser, I clicked the Decrypt9 (MSET) link: https://3ds.guide/decrypt9-(mset)
I then downloaded the lasted Decrypt9WIP on the page, loaded the loader.dat and Decrypt9WIP.dat onto the root of my SD Card along with creating a new folder called files9. I then loaded the Decrypt.3ds onto my microSD card on my R4 flashcard and now when I boot it, it gives me a black screen.
Do you mean .nds? Can you play other DS roms?

If you can't get it to work you can also try updating to 9.0-11.2 with a game cartridge (might be able to do it with Gateway) and using soundhax.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

kado2999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean .nds? Can you play other DS roms?

If you can't get it to work you can also try updating to 9.0-11.2 with a game cartridge (might be able to do it with Gateway) and using soundhax.
ah yes i meant .nds and yes my 3ds can play other DS roms.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yup just black screen, doesn't do anything for me. I guess I'm out of luck with CFW unless I update and risk not being able to use any exploit or my current gateway emunand.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
ah yes i meant .nds and yes my 3ds can play other DS roms.

Yup just black screen, doesn't do anything for me. I guess I'm out of luck with CFW unless I update and risk not being able to use any exploit or my current gateway emunand.
Don't update! You don't know if 11.3 will ever be hackable.

Why not just switch to Luma being booted from the DS profile just like your Gateway card? Then you can use an 11.3 emuNAND. Have a look at https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade

Reactions: wormdood

kado2999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Quantumcat

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It has been quite a while since I've last been on. My old 3DS XL is still on 4.01 Firmware and still using the Gateway 3DS Flashcard along with it's emunand. Last time I was on was almost 2 years ago when Gateway 3DS released it's own way of using cheats. But now I'm coming back and new things has happened so before I decide to goto CFW, I really need to have these questions answered.

That's basically all the questions I have before I decide to move on.
Did you just quote a goofy movie?

Reactions: kehkou and kado2999

kado2999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you just quote a goofy movie?
You have earned my respect.

Ok I am running into a new problem now. I can't get my Gateway Flashcard to work on this. I've searched the forums and so far I am not finding a guide for it or probably because I'm searching it wrong. Can someone point me to the right direction?

Reactions: WeedZ

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You have earned my respect.

Ok I am running into a new problem now. I can't get my Gateway Flashcard to work on this. I've searched the forums and so far I am not finding a guide for it or probably because I'm searching it wrong. Can someone point me to the right direction?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691

Just an extra reminder: don't boot Gateway sysNAND mode

kado2999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users