kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys know what it takes to become a game developer? I am somewhat interested but all I can think that would lead me to such a career path is computer engineering or software engineering. Any one know much about it?
Thanks,
Kevin

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are many colleges with majors that are specific to game designing. I suggest you choose those if you plan on becoming a video game developer.

Computer/Software engineering are broad majors and don't necessarily mean game designing, but you will have higher job flexibility in case you can't find a game developer job.

Razorwing

Elite Four Member
Trophies
XP
Country
I did Computer Science with Games Development for my degree, with going into the games industry in mind. Being able to code in C++ and DirectX are a must and you need to be pretty good at maths as well cause there is a surprising amount of equation work to work out the effects of gravity etc.

Bear in mind it is a very competitive market to get into straight out of uni and you will probably need some 'professional' experience. I am now working as a normal Software Engineer, doing some stuff for aerospace and defense whilst building up a decent portfolio of games I have coded myself, as these can really tip the scales in your favour during an interview.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks graem and demon,
Yea, I want to be a developer but sometimes I don't know how risky that career path is. (My idea is to integret learning how to read, play, and understand music thoery such as chord progression on a system such as the wii) I am not sure if they are developing that, but I tihnk that would be a big hit if they design it with enough option and competitiveness.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My advice, talk to a person that actually KNOWS.

I for instance like a few wargames that were made by guys that are basically one man companies.

Strategic Command from Battlefront.com for instance is made by a fellow Canadian named Hubert Cater. He has a very success design according to his audience that being wargamers.

Now that is a guy that can tell you what HE thought was important to make games.

Of course if all you wish is to be a slave in a cubicle working for some mega company, well I suppose I can't give you any answers there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse