Becoming a game developer...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by kevenka, Sep 6, 2008.

1. kevenka
    OP

kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Texas
    Do you guys know what it takes to become a game developer? I am somewhat interested but all I can think that would lead me to such a career path is computer engineering or software engineering. Any one know much about it?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    There are many colleges with majors that are specific to game designing. I suggest you choose those if you plan on becoming a video game developer.

Computer/Software engineering are broad majors and don't necessarily mean game designing, but you will have higher job flexibility in case you can't find a game developer job.

3. Razorwing

Razorwing Elite Four Member

Mar 1, 2007
    England
    I did Computer Science with Games Development for my degree, with going into the games industry in mind. Being able to code in C++ and DirectX are a must and you need to be pretty good at maths as well cause there is a surprising amount of equation work to work out the effects of gravity etc.

Bear in mind it is a very competitive market to get into straight out of uni and you will probably need some 'professional' experience. I am now working as a normal Software Engineer, doing some stuff for aerospace and defense whilst building up a decent portfolio of games I have coded myself, as these can really tip the scales in your favour during an interview.

4. kevenka
    OP

kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Texas
    thanks graem and demon,
    Yea, I want to be a developer but sometimes I don't know how risky that career path is. (My idea is to integret learning how to read, play, and understand music thoery such as chord progression on a system such as the wii) I am not sure if they are developing that, but I tihnk that would be a big hit if they design it with enough option and competitiveness.

5. Foxle

Foxle GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2008
    United States
    For the love of [insert deity here], do NOT get a "Gaming Degree" from your local technical college.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...a-waste-of-time

They've been proven to be almost worthless. Your best shot is to major in Computer Science and do some graphics design work as a minor.

6. Panzer Tacticer

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here
    My advice, talk to a person that actually KNOWS.

I for instance like a few wargames that were made by guys that are basically one man companies.

Strategic Command from Battlefront.com for instance is made by a fellow Canadian named Hubert Cater. He has a very success design according to his audience that being wargamers.

Now that is a guy that can tell you what HE thought was important to make games.

Of course if all you wish is to be a slave in a cubicle working for some mega company, well I suppose I can't give you any answers there.