Beat up japanese DS lites from ebay

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Dies-Irae, Jan 10, 2019 at 2:47 AM.

1. Dies-Irae
    OP

Dies-Irae Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    Are they worth it? I mean, to get the parts inside and frankenstein them in a new chinese shell.

My worry is that they sell it so cheaply because they got all the good parts out and know they're unrepairable.

2. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    they can be fixed (for the most part, some people just dont trust themselves to fix them so will sell them because of minor problems like a broken screen or speakers ect) but the real problem is they rarely label what is broken so you could end up needing to buy several before you could successfully combine them . . . when its all said and done its likely much cheaper to find working one

3. Dies-Irae
    OP

Dies-Irae Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    I intend to get like 4 or 5 of them from the (probably known around here) dora_ts17 seller. It says on the description that if you buy multiple consoles he'll give you a discount in the shipping cost, but I wonder if the base cost for shipping of the bigger and heavier box would increase so much as to "nullify" his discount.

I sent him this question but I don't know if he'll answer XD, he sells so much stuff he probably doesn't even have time or patience to answer this kind of thing.

4. Dies-Irae
    OP

Dies-Irae Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    Holy shit, is this guy trying to scam me?
    There's no way in hell im paying 35 dollars to get 1kg shipped from japan WITHOUT TRACKING.

Attached Files:

5. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    well i did say

6. Dies-Irae
    OP

Dies-Irae Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    I was planning on refurbing and reselling 4 of them and keeping 1 to myself, but with that shipping cost its 100% guaranteed that the customs vultures will rape my little wallet even further, especially since its coming from japan

although if i manage to sell them for 150BRL i could still make more than enough money to cover the costs, even if i get taxed, as i calculated that the cost for each unit + charger + new shell is 100BRL and at worst i suppose i could sell it at cost price if there isnt demand, im not doing this for money anyway

want to get experience with this kind of stuff for when i gather enough courage to replace my n3dsxl screens to IPS ones, but I'm not sure if i should really go on with it, would appreciate if more of you gave your opinions

Last edited by Dies-Irae, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:32 PM
  7. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2018
    Romania
    Now you know why they are so cheap. All the japanese sellers do that. dora_ts17 send them as gift. And if you talk to him/her, the biggest discount in shipping is 2usd per item. But only if you buy 5 items.

8. Dies-Irae
    OP

Dies-Irae Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    What do you mean exactly? That they sell it for little money because they know the shipping is expensive or that they trick you with the low prices so you have to pay their "fake" expensive shipping price where their actual profit comes from?

9. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2018
    Romania
    I exagerated a little bit. I was referring to the japanese sellers that sell junk items. And yes, they earn a lot from shipping. Last month i won a few faulty wonderswan consoles. He was asking 7 usd for shipping for each console. And he also refused to send as gift. Not to mention that one console is about 100 grams. So in my case 28usd (-2usd discount) for 400 grams for shipping. After that I got a few wonderswans from dora_ts and he charged 5 usd for shipping per item, but he send them as gift. The consoles were cheap, most of them under 2 usd. So it's a little trick to earn money from shipping. Because of that they don't ship to Japan. Only international shipping. So to answer your question, they trick you. If you check the description "we combine shipping, we do our best to make you happy, etc..". Japanese post is cheap, especially if the destination country has SAL. To get an ideea, 1Kg sent as small package by SAL from Japan to UK will cost 1,080 yen ~ 10 USD!!

Last edited by gorgyrip, Jan 15, 2019 at 1:14 AM
  10. Dies-Irae
    OP

Dies-Irae Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    well shit i already paid

but i live in south america (which has more expensive shipping from japan) and he said he has to send it via registered mail, so maybe it wasnt trickery after all?
    if anything i'll screencap all that and then complain on paypal if he sends it via SAL and the stuff comes with more things broken than what the description says

Last edited by Dies-Irae, Jan 15, 2019 at 1:17 AM