Be wary of online user-based reviews (for now)

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TheCyberQuake, Mar 7, 2017.

?

What rating would you give the system?

1. 1 Star

10 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. 2 Stars

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. 3 Stars

15 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. 4 Stars

44 vote(s)
    37.6%
  5. 5 Stars

42 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. TheCyberQuake
    OP

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Just as with any other console launch, there seems to be a lot of fanboys from other consoles giving one star reviews, and possibly also Nintendo fanboys giving 5 stars, all without actually owning the console.

Like this beautiful example I found and replied to on amazon, where the person was spouting nonsense that wasn't even true:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

And here is my points on how literally every point that review made was wrong or only needed two seconds of research to not even be a problem:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Pretty much as with any other console release, give the online retailer reviews some time before actually paying attention to them.

Extra: Just for curiosity's sake I added a poll asking what you would rate the system with your current experience with the Nintendo Switch.

cheuble, jpx86, osaka35 and 5 others like this.

2. Imacaredformy2ds

Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
    *Online reviews taken seriously
    Is it 2011?

3. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    A solid 4/5. Can't find the activity app thing that tracks how many hours a user has played a game for.

4. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    For me right now it's a 4 star. It's really better than I expected, but.... the online part might lower or higher the score for me.

5. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Just for fun, I gave the console a 4/5 on this poll even though I haven't opened it yet.

6. Imacaredformy2ds

Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
    OP, add an option for 0 stars please.

jimbo13 likes this.
  7. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Its that time of the year again.
    The same shit happened when Pokemon GO came out, oh well, I guess when something's popular people tend to talk either good or shit about it.

8. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    A 4/5.. Easily. There are some minor gripes, but they'll be fixed down the road. I've no doubt. Also, to add to the joycons? Yes, they're small.. but even using them as separate controllers to play Bomberman with my 3 year old? I didn't have an issue, even Fast RMX was a decent enough experience with one joycon. The dock, they'll fix. They've pulled it from their own store.. No way they'll leave it unchecked..

Can we also talk about how they went from 6 to 8?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Pokemon GO was nowhere near what was promised. Even with the updates it's just.. meh... Opinion, of course.

9. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official dragon look-alike axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Just saw dragon quest heroes running on switch. If third party games are gonna look like that the console is worth 2.5 or 3 stars out of 5.

Only first party games won't save the system this time.

Meteor7 likes this.
  10. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    All of these points are common knowledge to all who buy the system. Bundles, however, are available. I'm interested in buying a switch, but couldn't find any available besides a bundle at Gamestop (which was available a few days ago but is now sold out).

11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Even the Vita gets more consistent FPS from it. D:

DrkBeam and DeslotlCL like this.
  12. jimbo13

jimbo13 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    I am not buying it. That first review seems spot on and I want to slap Nintendo in the face with my member for the multi-year game droughts on Wii/WiiU and personally fuck every Fanboi who said "Buy a switch" and lobbied for a cancellation when people were trying to discuss BOTW on Wii-U.

My role will be a single brick in the wall holding that user-base low enough that you get no third party support. Enjoy your yarn versions of old franchises, I hope you get no Metroid and may the only Zelda that comes out is a remaster of phantom hour glass.

13. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I am personally happy with it so far. I haven't run into any issues yet. Well there's ONE complaint I have, but it's not critical enough to knock off a star from my rating: 5/5.
    The issue? The minus button.
    I often have rather long finger nails, just because they grow super fast. Now they're not that long, but still long enough to cause a problem for me to push the minus button from holding it normally. I have to alter my grip slightly to reach it with the side of my thumb instead. The Left stick is in the way otherwise, and my nail stops me from pushing it right on. That's something I'll get used to, or maybe it'll be better if I just trim my nails more often (hell, I'm a guitar player, so I'll have to trim them anyway).

14. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Oh, hey. While we're here, does anybody elses speakers crackle when you turn the volume all the way up?

15. rizzod

rizzod Not a New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    No offence Issac, that's more your problem and not the systems. But I'm glad you're acknowledging that it's a 5 star system, because it really is great. I love mine, so many haters right now because of a stupid scare-mongering campaign.

16. TheCyberQuake
    OP

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    So even though I pointed out that most of their points made were completely false and not based on any fact, the review seems spot on? That makes total sense.

So because the last console failed, you want all of their systems to fail, even though they are trying to correct those problems by having a great release schedule across the year. Again you sound like a complete retard right now. Wanting an entire company to fail because one of their systems you bought was a flop is ludicrous. All companies make a product that just doesn't do well. Microsoft had kinect, which frankly was a failure in my eyes.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake, Mar 8, 2017
  17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Seems like a tool to me. The WiiU died because it had such a terrible start, middle and finish. Not because of Nintendo's "drought" like he claims. Nintendo kept pushing what first party games they could to it. A severe lack of third party support killed it. The Switch aims to change that. I hope it does great. I actually skipped the WiiU...

18. jimbo13

jimbo13 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    Really? More last-Gen ports and not a single major triple A title is a great release schedule?

No, I want them to fail because they are using gimmicks on old hardware and doing nothing to subsidize or encourage third party support while being so tight fisted they couldn't do something simple like put 3DS games on the E-shop for Wii-Users to supplement their non-existent library.

19. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Nah, I consider it a design flaw. I don't think any button should be placed so that it can be pressed only by using the tip of your thumb. If it was to the left of the control stick, or below it, it would've been fine. It's just too close to the stick, at least for my adult hands.
    Even if it would have been half a centimeter more to the right (but the joy-con isn't that large) it would've been great.

20. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Now that's just grasping for straws. My issue is that with all of these first party games scattered throughout the year, that may pose a long term sales issue. Third party support can only come after a successful start. Most 3rd party devs and publishers walked away from the WiiU in the first year.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I keep reaching where the capture and home buttons are for minus and plus.. Hm...