Be careful buying/selling over paypal!

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Zarxrax, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Zarxrax
    OP

Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2005
    United States
    Just wanted to share an experience that just happened to me. I've been aware that in the past, paypal has shut down their accounts with shops that sell flash carts. I had been under the impression that Nintendo probably tells them about these shops, and then they go from there.

But apparently it goes much deeper than that. They are apparently running automated searches over all transactions looking for any keywords, and then banning accounts just based on that. Doesn't matter if you run a store or if its your personal account.

I simply sold a DSTWO to someone, and when he sent me the money, he just mentioned in the subject line that it was for the DSTWO. Very next day I had an email in my inbox telling me that my paypal account of 15 years has been permanently limited and I can no longer send or receive money.

If you do any transaction over paypal involving a flash cart MAKE SURE you don't mention it in the subject or comments of the paypal transaction!
    I thought its interesting that in ShopTemp, people can buy and sell their own products, and it specifically recommends paypal. Not a good idea I think :P

I would suggest that anyone dealing with these items might use a better payment service, like dwolla or square cash. They don't rip you off with huge fees like paypal, either.

2. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks for the info.

Paypal is a force unto its own. It can do what it likes with your money.

3. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I am the moron who wrote "Thanks for the DSTWO" in the subject line. I had no idea that paypal would scan memos for things like that... I suggest one of the two money services above.

4. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Paypal acts like a bank if and only if it's convenient. It's just... ugh.

5. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Has anyone here had experience with Square?