Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Broadcaster's commercial division Worldwide wants to turn key IPs into DS, Wii, iPhone and online games, MCV can reveal

After spending years sat on the fence, the BBC is returning to games in a big way, MCV can exclusively reveal.

Via its commercial arm BBC Worldwide, the broadcaster is courting both publishers and developers to turn Doctor Who, Top Gear, In The Night Garden and many, many more into games for all audiences.

No stone will go unturned: the BBC wants to see its brands on iPhone and Facebook as much as it wants to see them on DS and Wii.

“We are open to conversations with anybody in games about all kinds of business models to see how we can extract more value,” said Neil Ross Russell, MD of children’s and licensing.

“Outside of Disney we have the most well-known line-up of children’s characters around the world.”
Article continues below

Advertisement
Koch

It’s a big about-turn for the broadcaster. The BBC closed its Multimedia division in 2005 after sales crashed in its boxed product business, subsequently aborting an attempt to get a PS2 game of spy thriller Spooks
off the ground.

“We’ve been reactive to the market in the last few years,” explained Dave Anderson, head of multimedia development at BBC Worldwide.

“There were a few opportunistic licensing deals, but we were largely aggregating and holding on to our properties to wait and see how the market developed.”

The new effort will push key kids’ IPs towards games for DS and Wii, while more long-running brands find their feet on all sorts of platforms.

But the move goes beyond just licensing out properties.

Said Ross Russell: “What we’re trying to do is build the brands here – this is not about opportunistic licensing. If we wanted to do that we would have done more with these key brands over the last few years.”

As part of the move, BBC Worldwide has hired former EA and Yahoo exec Robert Nashak as EVP of digital entertainment. More details on his appointment will follow tomorrow.

MCV will reveal more on BBC's new strategy to fund new titles based on its properties and work closer with games publishers and developers next week.

There have been many many games based on BBC shows, unfortunatly that translates into many many fucking awful pieces of shovelware. I don't use the term shovelware lightly, I use it only on titles that lack any kind of creativity and are only made quickly for profit.

I would love if they could get licenses into the hands of developers who can do something GOOD. I hope for a Doctor Who title that is great and focuses on what the show is, some kind of action/puzzler would be great or even an adventure title.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
It got good scores. Was it really a good game, or just good for a cell phone game?
It was ok 6/10. Oddly the best part of the game was the mini games where you didn't drive.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
PMSL, THeir not happy just taking shed loads of money from us for our TV Licence they now want to rip another hole in us for the half assed ideas

Top Gear i can understand, its very popular but anything else......Come On, UK Gets raped by them often enough we dont need it anymore!........Unless they do another alan partridge series / film and a good game!!!!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My lack of love for the current output of the BBC is not undocumented but my first thoughts on seeing the title ran to a flashforward however many months from now and me seeing a PS3 playing what amounts to a flash game (except not half as addictive). Thinking about it though aside from kids shows (and even then it is the exception rather than anything remotely common that they are good) I reckon TV shows to games are worse than film to games.

Option 2: we see point and click adventure games making a return.

On the other hand they have been responsible for some more than passable CGI these last few years so I hope they hit up their people who do that for something.

Edit: I also predict game show games- not quite sure how they will manage some of the BBC2 gameshows but I am sure I will see something.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
Top Gear and coctor who fair enough, i hope that they will finally give us a doctor who console game!

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they'll make a doctor who game that sucks as much as the actual show?

I've been to the uk, the best thing on the BBC channels are American TV programs.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
SPH73 said:

I've been to the uk, the best thing on the BBC channels are American TV programs.

err... no

american crap ruins british tv tbh,

doctor who has been running for almost 50 years and is still a major success, so im sorry, but that clearly proves that it does not suck.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is probably a recipe for one of two things, depending on how it's cooked, or in other works how it turns out. We have a recipe for either.

A. Disaster
B. Epicness.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SPH73 said:
*Trying not to flame the HELL out of you*

They made a Doctor Who game which is alright...except it was TOP TRUMPS...:superhypermegafacepalm:

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZenZero said:
doctor who has been running for almost 50 years and is still a major success, so im sorry, but that clearly proves that it does not suck.
There has been some really awful episodes in the 80's, most of the ones with Sylvester McCoy make me sick from how bad they are (Hale & Pace in an episode? GTFO).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No BBC, no.
We pay you money through TV licenses to provide us TV, and we've allowed you to branch out into Radio and Internet because they too are methods of broadcasting.

Video games are not broadcasting.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
No one seems to remember it has already happened...

3492939.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.