Gaming BBC iPlayer for users out of UK

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I downloaded the BBC iPLayer from the Shop Channel (by changing my country to UK) but when I try to watch a video or listen to a Radio Station an error pops up... This is happening because my IP is non-UK huh? Is there any possible way to disguise my IP to a UK one so I can access all the shows?

MattJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No offence intended, but why should you have access to iPlayer services? We pay for access to it with the TV license fees.

But as far as I know, the only way you could would be to use a proxy server, which are usually very slow if you use a free one.

MattJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And you not having the BBC channels over there means you should get a service we pay for, for free? If it was funded by advertising I could understand, but the British people pay for this service from the TV licensing fees, I see no reason that it should be made available for free to everyone else.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MattJ said:
And you not having the BBC channels over there means you should get a service we pay for, for free? If it was funded by advertising I could understand, but the British people pay for this service from the TV licensing fees, I see no reason that it should be made available for free to everyone else.

The iPlayer is free, all you need is a UK internet connection. And your reasoning is terrible. You're simply saying that since we're not British we shouldn't be able to watch the BBC. We pay extra for BBC America here, so touche.

I would be interested as well, I guess. And the proxy method is kinda bad, since proxies are mostly slow and don't work all that well.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
while I do understand what the above person is saying, bbc does have other channels in other countires like in USA which no doubt english people are paying for as US dont have a tv license scheme, the shows can be downloaded from other sources, so in retrospect if you can watch bbc in whatever country your in then good for you, stick it to the man and to the bbc all a bunch of criminals anyway

I dont see his reasoning as terrible you dont pay fopr a tv license, how much extra do you pay for bbc in usa? I bet its nowhere near the 142.00 GBP

142.00 = 238.617 USD per year and for us if we dont even have a tv and just have a pc we still have to pay the money and half of us dont watch bbc because its shite

Matt140

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The iPlayer service is a UK-only one, therefore it is funded by UK TV license payers. However, I have heard that it is going to be made available abroad (although I've no idea when). And as Am0s said, we do pay quite a lot for the service.

Also, proxies don't work with iPlayer.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
MattJ said:

The iPlayer is free, all you need is a UK internet connection. And your reasoning is terrible. You're simply saying that since we're not British we shouldn't be able to watch the BBC. We pay extra for BBC America here, so touche.

I would be interested as well, I guess. And the proxy method is kinda bad, since proxies are mostly slow and don't work all that well.

I dont see his reasoning as terrible you dont pay fopr a tv license, how much extra do you pay for bbc in usa? I bet its nowhere near the 142.00 GBP

142.00 = 238.617 USD per year and for us if we dont even have a tv and just have a pc we still have to pay the money and half of us dont watch bbc because its shite
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

MattJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I admit, I was not thinking about BBC America. But still, does that really mean that the British people should pay for everyone with an internet connection to be able to use the service?

Maybe if you pay for BBC America, you should be able to watch the shows from BBC America on it. But I don't think it should become free to everyone outside the UK

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh gtfo. "we'll have to pay for it." All of a few hundred people, tops, would have the know-how and interest to install it on their Wii in the US. And at most, lets say, 50 of them watch it at the same time. It wouldn't dent the bandwidth.

You pay more for the queen to wipe her ass than that would cost.

Not that I care, I don't see the fascination at all.

MattJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so how about Americans pay for everyone in the world to watch their TV? How would you feel if your taxes were increased so everyone in the world could watch American TV for free?

I don't have a problem with other countries watching iplayer, if there was some other method of paying for it. Even if it was funded entirely through advertising like Hulu does, I would have no problem.

What I do object to is paying for the rest of the world to have access. Maybe its selfish reasoning, but I think most people would object to it too.

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
capt.fruitcake said:
check the internet settings of your wii. you should be able to give a proxy there and all i-net apps listen to that setting.
I've found a free UK proxy server but I don't know what port to give to my Wii...

D

Deleted-171178

8080 is used for web, that SHOULD work for websites, not sure about videos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night