wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
Battle of the Worlds DEMO
New Homebrew
dslite.jpg

Gemisis (Super Smash Bros. DS fame) has announced his new project. He has put SSBDS on hold and is releasing a PAlib style collection of code to aid others. His new game, not surprisingly, is another 2D fighting game. Gemisis mentions that "there is NO LIMIT to how many characters or levels you can have! The only limit is how big your flash cart is!"

The unique aspect of this homebrew is that the user can script custom levels and characters for the game engine. One can quickly see a fan base popping up with support of the creation tools. This should become a homebrew to keep an eye on!

Battle of the Worlds is the ultimate fighting game. Have you ever played a game where you thought of the perfect character? One that you thought should be in the game, but isn't? How about a level? A level that, once again, should have been in the game, but wasn't? Well guess what? You just found the perfect game for you!

Battle of the Worlds is my homemade game that solves those problems. Using the tools that are provided, you can easily convert your own levels
and characters into .bin files, and then load them into the game! There are certain requirements that must be met which are explained in the readme in the tools folder. However, they are relativly small things, such as how to do the collision maps, which are not seen in this. Same goes for characters, but they have specific frames and stuff instead.

Battle of the Worlds was named for the fact that each character and level comes from a specific "world" which consists of more characters and levels. I will add more details to this later on, but for now, it shows the main thing that I find the most important: there is no character or level limit! As of now, only 2 can be chosen, but I am currently working on a way to select any level or character in game. But technically, because of the way the game is made, the only limit to how many characters or levels you can have, is how big your flashcart is! Also, do not forget to patch with the correct DLDI!

I plan to also make level packs, and character packs, both of which you can download and put in the botw_custom folder, and then load from there. If you would like to help with the designs, please send me an email at: [email protected]

How to load a custom level in this demo:

In order to change a level in this demo, create the level by following the instructions in the readme in the tools folder. Then navigate to botw_custom. Once in the folder, go to levels, and rename either lv1 or lv2 to something else. Next create a new folder with the original name of the previous folder. Copy all of the .bin files from pagfx into this folder, then create a new text file with the name of the folder as its name too. Now, add in the following information, all on one line, exactly as shown below (replacing certain stuff with your information):

lvname groundfile skybackground extrasbackground collisionmap width height

How to load a custom character in this demo:

In order to load a custom character in this demo, create a character by following the instructions in the readme in the tools folder. Then navigate to botw_custom. Once in the folder, go to characters and rename the chara folder to something else. Then, create a new folder named chara. Then, place the characters _Texture.bin file into this folder. Now create a new text file called chara. Put the following info into it, once again replacing stuff with your own info (note: speed does not work, but put it anyways):

charactername characternamefortexture(without the _Texture.bin) speed width height

Once again that all goes on one line. Also, when i say width and height, I mean the original width and height for the gif file. NOT THE PNG FILE!

Thanks to VagueRant for the news!

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Homepage
discuss.png
Discuss

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So why did he stop making SSBB:DS? Does he want someone else to create the art of the characters + levels instead while he does the coding?

..I can understand. That's the only reason why I hate game programming (not much of a computer-art person.) Too cheap for a cintiq, and a mouse is not the greatest art input device.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
imgod22222 said:
So why did he stop making SSBB:DS? Does he want someone else to create the art of the characters + levels instead while he does the coding?

..I can understand. That's the only reason why I hate game programming (not much of a computer-art person.) Too cheap for a cintiq, and a mouse is not the greatest art input device.

my speculation is that he likes to code 2d fighting engines but can never own the rights to the nintendo characters in super smash. doesn't it make more sense to take what he learned, recode it (so its better), and then offer up the ability to add your own characters and levels. this way the engine works and is not limited to what he wants to make it do. a user could easily make the ssb levels and characters and release them. depending on how crazy he goes with this, like if we get the ability to script ai controls, text, add music, you could use the engine to make your own personalized game. this might be the ultimate goal... we have to wait and see what news he releases in the next few months.

it is really easy to track down gemisis on palib forums. why not register and ask him why he stopped development. or drop him an e-mail. he seems to be a really nice guy.

-another world

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody tried out the demo? I just want to know how the general game plays. I would, but I'm out of town and I don't have my cyclo on hand.

Ein-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds good, just as everybody stated, it's like Mugen on DS.

Would love to try it, but unfortunately, I don't create (or rather, don't know how to make one
tongue.gif
) characters (for Mugen). I can, however, make sprite / edits or .GIF animations based from other sprites (my avatar, it's a sprite edit for a Minstrel (Ragnarok Online)).

I'll try reading the readme.txt first, maybe it's not that hard as Mugen, I hope.
smile.gif

GEMISIS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I just thought I would let you guys know, that if you already know how to use palibs PAGFX, then it should be very easy to make your own levels and characters. The only thing you would need to know in that case are things such as the sprites frames, or which tile to use for collision maps.

also, i am currently adding a search function that will search the folder botw_custom for that level or character, that way you don't have to rename it each time. this part is already done, i just want to add a few more thing before i release it. also, i am currently only aware of 1 bug and that was the collisions (which has been fixed) so if you guys know of anymore, then please, let me know.

finally, when i do the next release, i may add a new level pack. please keep in mind that the hyrule level was not made for this game, as the collision map is wrong. also, i missed one of the platforms on the mario level.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gemisis, thank you for joining up here to post your comments. it's always something special to be able to talk to the developer behind the homebrew. do you have any plans on writing a complete "how to" guide using all the tools required to make levels and sprites? i am not familiar with pagfx at all, i'm curious how difficult it is.

-another world

GEMISIS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its actually a rather simple program to use. when you click on the file "PAGC Frontend.exe" that's included with the game (and with palib) it comes up with a window that has 3 tabs: sprites backgrounds and textures. sprites are for 2D sprites (ie: buttons, characters, etc). backgrounds are for backgrounds, and textures are for 3D textures. what pagfx does is it takes textures, sprites, and backgrounds and converts them not only to .bin files, but it also makes them .c and .h files for use with palib. with it, you can set transparency, which files to convert, etc.

for my Battle of the Worlds, you only need the backgrounds part (for backgrounds) and the textures part (for characters). the reason why you need textures for the characters instead of sprites, is because i am using palibs 3D sprites, which i can not only do a lot more with, but i can have up to 2048 of them instead of 128 2D sprites. conversion is fairly straight forward: you click on the corresponding tab, add the files, and then push convert.
yaynds.gif
then, you can do whatever with the output (which will be in the same directory as "PAGC Frontend.exe"). The only ones you need for my game are the .bin files found in the bin folder.

Either way, pagfx is a great tool for DS homebrew and is extremely useful in general. it can probably be used with wii homebrew too, but i've never tried.

edit: and yes, i do plan to write a more "complete" guide on how to do this. but i want to finish with most of the loading parts 1st.

Cema

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, the character, they have to be in a size divisible by 8?

As in, would 64x64 work, or 32x10, or 8x8?

GEMISIS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, the characters size has to be divisible by 8.

64 X 64 will work because 64 divide by 8 = 8

32 X 10 will not work because 10 divided by 8 = (gets calculator) 1.25 (no decimals allowed)

8 X 8 will work because 8 divided by 8 = 1

the same goes for levels as well.

GEMISIS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know if i can do that TSorbera, as I am pretty sure that the 3D sprites for palib are sort of preset. I'll look into it. Actually, I may even be wrong about the whole divisible by 8 thing, not sure though.

Cema

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it is still early, but I've got a couple of suggestions.

First, as the game boots up:

Top screen: Made in PALib with help from ...
Bottom screen: Created by Gemisis and the fans.

From here, you are led to the main menu:

Top screen: Logo.
Bottom screen: 2 blocks; much like the R4 menu. The left saying, "Quick Play" and the right saying "Data".

Quick Play let's you choose a character and a level and play, Data should display the files sizes of folders and give you quick access to the custom files on there.
The whole 'Data' thing sounds hard, but really, you just output a couple variables. I've only worked with Java, I'm not sure how different PALib is.

By the way, change your .NDS icon. I could help with stuff like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water