Battery Trouble With The EZ-Flash Expansion Pack

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Mimma, Dec 19, 2008.

Dec 19, 2008
  1. Mimma
    OP

Newcomer Mimma Newbie

Singapore
    I just bought an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 Expansion Pack off DealExtreme.com, for use with my R4. I've patched the roms, put in the loader, done everything that the tutorial videos show. However, my games won't save. Specifically, FFTA and Pokemon FireRed won't save, on NOR mode or otherwise. They play perfectly well.

I think my problem is that the battery has gone flat. In this case, is it better for me to demand a replacement, or can I just go down to a watch shop and get them to replace the battery?

And if I were to replace the battery, which one should I use?

2. triften

Newcomer triften Advanced Member

United States
    I feel for you. I have the exact same problem. Brand new 3-in-1 loads/plays all games, but won't hold saves. I purchased from DealExtreme.com, so watch out for them.

But yeah, I have no soldering experience. Is there a simple tutorial that shows how to replace the battery? Or should I just buy a new one...

3. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    *sigh. I was afraid to ask this question as well.

I have tried this with about 4 games now.

Fire Emblem
    Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
    Golden Sun
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Every single one of them. Tried it, and the save wouldn't stay. It was working a few times with my Fire Emblem: Sacred stones one. But then it stopped and I would always start over.

The Golden Sun ones won't save from the in-game saver. It just says battery un-detected.

Anyone know why the problem is like this?

(BTW I ordered one from KickGaming.com. So if I demand a replacement, what should I tell them?)

4. Splych

Philippines
    Neh. Too lazy to edit.

=====

I tried my Fire Emblem again. Not the Sacred Stones.

I am using the GBAExploader made by Rudolph. And the flashcart I am using is a SuperCard DS One v3.

Here's the thing. Right now, Fire Emblem has a .sav file created by Visual Boy Advance. I then copied it onto my SD Card to two places, GBA_Save and where the rom is.

I played the game and then shut the DS off. One slot out of 3 are being used by my one gameplay.

I then turn the DS back on and run the GBAExploader. It then asks which SAV file should be wrote onto by the SRAM. (If not, it;s the other way around)

I chose the first and only one. And then I load Fire Emblem again and it shows my file which I was using before I shut off my DS.

I don't understand the whole concept, but just make sure this:

- There are 2 SAV Files for you game. One in GBA_SAVE and another with the rom
    - Use the latest of the GBAExploader
    - Load the rom on PSRam mode. That's what I am using.

5. Mimma
    OP

Newcomer Mimma Newbie

Singapore
    triften: I opened up the cart to have a look at it, and it seems that the connection of the battery to the chip is actually pretty simple- not that I have any soldering experience either. Or can find a battery. >_>;;

Echo: It works! [​IMG] I tried it with Pokemon FireRed and it works! I'll still look into replacing the battery, but thank you so much for finding that out. Does it mean that only the NOR needs to be battery-powered?

6. Splych

Philippines
    Keep on researching about replacing the battery. I am look into replacing it as well.

I think the NOR needs battery power and the PSRAM uses the internal ram.

I am still trying to solve the Golden Sun issue. Maybe those kind of games need to be loaded in NOR since in PSRAM, it doesn't detect the back-up battery.

7. Djay187

Member Djay187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not sure if my problem is battery related but my saves with exploder the R4 and the 3 in 1 are really temperamental. Some times it saves sometimes it doesn't, I've played a game for a coupe hours before, saved it, later on gone back to it no save.
    I just wish there was a way to make it more reliable, or to find out whats wrong, the battery, the software or the 3 in 1. It's really doing my head in I've only had the 3 in 1 about month and it seems next to useless.

8. triften

Newcomer triften Advanced Member

United States
    Djay187: Same here, man. The thing is completely unreliable, regardless of which software I'm using. I've tested extensively.

I'm planning to buy a dedicated slot2 device, like maybe EZ Flash IV lite. Can anyone recommend this?

9. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    So we must find a save file for every game we are going to play? And the 3 in 1 is starting to seem unreliable.. Why did they recommend this? [​IMG]

EDIT: works fine for me so far. I've only tried it a few times

10. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    the golded sun games require you to play in NOR mode on the 3in1. it uses extra space and calls it backup memory.

11. Djay187

Member Djay187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Triften thanks for replying, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I find I have to play a game for like 10 minutes, save, turn off DS see if the thing saved, rinse and repeat. Which isn't to bad for the small games but a pain for the NOR ones.
    Also there's only a couple games I really wanna play but they happen to be KH.COM and Mother 3 so to buy another card is a bit much.
    I just wish I could find out why it's so unreliable because it doesn't seem like a battery thing to me.
    If anyone has any ideas please reply.

12. Wizard298

Newcomer Wizard298 Advanced Member

United States
    I feel ya. listen to my story

Group: Newcomers
    Member No.: 94,524

[United States]

Warn: (0%) -----

Anyone else having this issue?

2 months ago I ordered a 3 in 1 gba pack, I get it and then it took me a day to realize the battery may be the cause of it not working. So I went to my local interstate battery and got the correct battery and de soldered the battery that was in the cart and resoldered a new one.

After about 2 weeks I did not play my gba cart, when I went to go play it; it kept asking me the same thing would you like to set such and such to slot 2. When the battery works like it should, you don't get this message you get intilizing and then it loads the last place you were playing your game in, weather it was nor or SRAM.

Anyways I turn the system on and my save files were not there and it would not load my save files at all.
    So I took the battery back, because it was no good, I got a new one and again 2 weeks later same thing. I then thought maybe leaving the cart in while I charge my DS had something to do with it so finally just a week ago I got my 3rd and final battery made, because the battery has to be pin welded. I installed that one and started removing the cart when it was time to recharge my ds lite battery.

Last night I went to check the cart and sure enough the !*@&!(*@&)!*)&@(! battery is dead yet again!!!!!

The battery was not shorting itself out I made sure of that and even had the protective ring around the battery just like the original.

SO now there HAS to be no doubt a short in the board causing the battery to short out. These batteries your supposed to get at least 6 months out of it, hell I have super NES carts that have battery s and they still work and they are over a decade old.

So does anyone else have had this issue before? I went to order a new one while I send this back to get my warranty on it, to speed things a long quicker so I won't have to wait so long for warranty mad.gif one.

13. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    bad wall charger maybe, if your living in an older building it might be the wiring to the outlet itself.

I charge mine through a usb hub and not the charger, it takes longer but I don't have any issues with the battery being dead in a few months.

another option would be to pull the 3in1 out while charging. the 3in1 has a non rechargable anyways, so pulling out when you charge will not shorten the life of the 3in1.