Battery life

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by misticknight, Sep 3, 2006.

1. misticknight
    OP

misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 4, 2004
    i get around 7 hours battery life on the 2nd lowest brightness setting with my SCL? is this normal, i heard before buying it it drains it but not by that much, this however is almost half, i used to get 13 hours before. i'm just a bit worried there may be soemthing wrong.

2. DrTek

DrTek GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Gambia, The
    totally normal

3. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    k thanks, its so annoying it drops by that much but least i know its normal. maybe its punishment for all those games i'm stealing aye [​IMG]

4. DrTek

DrTek GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Gambia, The
    I was kinda disappointed, too [​IMG]
    Then I made the mistake and bought a cheap ass
    DS lite battery with 200mAmpereres more than
    the original battery.
    A total rip off.
    Playtime with the cheap ass battery: 2 hours *lol*

5. meangreenie

meangreenie Banned

Banned
    Nov 14, 2005
    Nah you got something wrong there, the delta between playing a DS game on even SC-CF's is only 10-15% worse than the same real DS cart, on the old Fat DS's. This has been confirmed by quite a few members over the months. (@5 - 5 1/2 hours compared to @6 - 6 1/2 hours)

Maybe you need to clean the contacts, as a 50% drop is way too much, also check you really get 13 hours out of the same game DS cart. I would of thought 9 hours would be the average game time for DS games on level 2 brightness on the DS-Lites (this would equate to 16-18 hours GBA time which is line with nintendos official figures)

6. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    REALLY! are you sure? what do yu mean clean the contacts, if there is something wrong i gotta fix it.

and btw yer i tested out the battery life when i first got the DS, i was getting around 12-13 hours on 2nd level brightness, and GBA games, well, put it this way, i played FFIV advance for like 4 days straight before having to recharge, i didnt actually time it like i did the DS the first time, but i guess it was at least 20 hours, possibly more.

7. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    Is this with flashme installed or are you still using the superkey / passme of some sort? Because I've heard that passme devices chew a lot of battery power, so that would account for the shorter playtime.

8. yee

yee DOTA 4EVER

Jul 9, 2006
    Canada
    Vancouver
    GBA games only use one screen, lol

9. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    "Is this with flashme installed or are you still using the superkey / passme of some sort? Because I've heard that passme devices chew a lot of battery power, so that would account for the shorter playtime. "

i'm using a superkey, would that really make that much of a diff?

"GBA games only use one screen, lol "

i know that but that in reply to meangreenies comment that i should be getting at least 9 hours on DS games and 16-18 on GBA games when played on the 2nd level brightness. i wanted to clear it up thats it more like 12-13 for DS and well over 20 for GBA.

10. 5kuzgib

5kuzgib Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2006
    If you're playing GBA games I thought you get less battery life because it's reading from RAM instead of reading directly from the card?

11. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    i dont think so man, GBA games lasted super long for me

12. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    anyone know what i can do to fix this if it is indeed not normal?

13. meangreenie

meangreenie Banned

Banned
    Nov 14, 2005
    buy an M3 .. shrugs, maybe that will get 13 hours from a DS game on level 2 brightness

14. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    so then it is normal for supercard to have that much battery life if your suggesting i buy another card? i can live with 7 hours i dont play it out much anyways so when it dies i just put it on the charger, the only reason i'm worried is if its not normal.

15. Sick Wario

Sick Wario Club Nintendo

Jul 24, 2006
    NNID: godrugal
    with 2x supercardSD and 2x superkey (v1 and v2) in both a dslite and red ds fattie, i can tell you the play time is about 75% compared to playing actual DS/GBA carts. also, your usage of WIFI network kills the battery the further you are form the AP/router/WIFI USB

edit : this wiki page under 'disadvantages'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_homebrew

16. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    i dont use WiFi.

perhaps i should explain what i have, i have the Supercard lite with a superkey and a 1 gb Sandisk micro sd(normal one, not that ultra II crap or whatever). its on the 2nd lowest brightness level, where normally i goet 12-13 hours now i'm getting around 7.

is that normal or is there something worng, if there is perhaps i can return it now before its to late.

17. FifthE1ement

FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2006
    United States
    Those are very good times if you were getting the other times before! Flashcarts usually cut battery time in half on the DS so everything is good.

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

18. misticknight
    OP

May 4, 2004
    thanks Fifth, i trust you you seem to know alot when it comes to the Supercard. takes a load off knowing theres nothing wrong [​IMG]

19. CatScam

CatScam ScamaRama!

Apr 29, 2006
    United States
    I also agree whit FifthE1ement, your bat time seems perfectly normal.
    With my SC & M3 my bat time gets cut in about half, although there
    are other things that come in to play. A flashed unit will get an hour or
    two more, WIFI is a big drain, the volume level, & MP3’s & movies or
    anything that constantly runs off the SD is also a killer. Even how graphic
    intensive the game your playing is makes a difference & we already know
    what brightness levels can do. So if someone says they get 3 more or less
    hours then you, many things can come into play.