Hacking BATTERY LIFE WITH CIA vs CART

petrieslastword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought I wanted to ask about. I know the 3DS battery life when running games off the Gateway cart is less than otherwise. Now, when installed to the SD card via a cia file, is there an improvement since the game would be running from the SD instead, or since we still need the Gateway inserted is it still the same?

This would be the main thing that would get me to install certain CIA versions instead.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought I wanted to ask about. I know the 3DS battery life when running games off the Gateway cart is less than otherwise. Now, when installed to the SD card via a cia file, is there an improvement since the game would be running from the SD instead, or since we still need the Gateway inserted is it still the same?

This would be the main thing that would get me to install certain CIA versions instead.
Unless the CIA is properly signed it will not work without being in gateway mode.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Unless the CIA is properly signed it will not work without being in gateway mode.

I think he's asking about a difference running .cias as opposed to a cart being constantly read.

And I wouldn't know, I use .cias, I seriously doubt running roms from the gateway card drains any noticable amount of battery charge though.

The supercard dstwo did, but that has an extra processor in it.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If nots not being read by the card and on the system I still see it being the same. You're basically swinging power usage over to the SD card in the 3ds.

petrieslastword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers. If it isn't noticeable I'll continue only installing CIAs of games I'll be playing forever, like Smash, MK, and Theatrhythm.

krikkit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if i have the red gateway card plugged in my shiny new 3ds xl (fully loaded) it is empty after a day of standby (without gaming), but if i do the same with emunand enabled und i remove the red cardrige after booting gateway mode, it looses only one bar in the power display after one day of standby... so it would last for about 3-4 days in standby when fully charged... so my solution to this power drain problem it to install the games as .cia and only insert the gateway card for booting (which is rearly needed)

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Does anyone have actual numbers ? If not, anyone willing to do a test to see the following:

1 - Retail cart sleep mode vs same game on Gateway .3ds file sleep move
2 - eShop game sleep mode vs CIA same game sleep mode
3 - Retail cart idling on title screen vs Gateway .3ds file same game idling on title screen?

Would be curious to see the numbers and calculate %.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone have actual numbers ? If not, anyone willing to do a test to see the following:

1 - Retail cart sleep mode vs same game on Gateway .3ds file sleep move
2 - eShop game sleep mode vs CIA same game sleep mode
3 - Retail cart idling on title screen vs Gateway .3ds file same game idling on title screen?

Would be curious to see the numbers and calculate %.
I'm.. Too busy playing games to do those tests. Sorry. I can just say it does soak a lot more juice than using CIA. That much is for certain. How much? No clue. Just 'a lot'.

StarPlatinum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My battery while playing .3ds on my gateway last the same as when I was using retail cartdrige.
Stand-by while on emunand use a lot more power, but I just don't use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse