Battery life benefits

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Tir, Dec 10, 2006.

Dec 10, 2006

Battery life benefits by Tir at 5:27 AM (682 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. Tir

Member Tir GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2006
    I assumed the main advantage of flashing would be to extend battery life, and I remember reading how some people even got a few hours more playtime without having to use a pass device... but there's no real reports like that lately, I mean there's even a thread suggesting it could kill the battery life instead.

So to those who have actually flashed, was there a noticeable improvement without using say a Passcard 3? And does keeping a real DS cart in instead for sleep mode affect it much?
  2. fr3kazoid

Newcomer fr3kazoid Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I have read everything I could find on these forums and other forums around the net regarding this. There are no definitive test results on actual life span of a charge but it is definitely shortened by leaving the passcard in slot 1 (DS Slot). Flashing your DS just saves you from ever having to use your passcard again. Leaving the Passcard in to use sleepmode has apparently be proven to drain the battery in no time at all.

You can swap the passcard for an original DS game card or a Dummy Card before loading, or flash your DS and leave an original DS game or Dummy Card in at all times.

You do not need any card in Slot 1 at all but it will keep dust out and also enable you to use sleep mode.

I have not found one properly controlled test here yet regarding battery life. (Not that anyone is expected to or required to even do testing for us!) I do not have everything I need to conduct a proper test yet but it would be nice to see the time comparison from using a Passcard vs. DS Game Card vs. Dummy Card. The tests would need to be run using the same game! Some of the testing I have read about involved playing GBA games sometime and DS games other times... Sometimes using sleep and other times not using sleep at all.