Hacking Battery Drain? R4 Original vs Acekard2i vs Acekard 2.1?

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw someone commenting on this sticky, http://gbatemp.net/t231412-solving-acekard-contact-issues, saying that the Acekard 2i has some build quality problems. Although in the newer thread, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=302...p;#entry3787406, they question why people would buy an R4 instead of an Acekard. I am trying to decide which flashcart to get, so I wanted to ask you what you thought. Does the Acekard still have these problems?

The most important things to me are getting the device with the least battery drain, and that won't have problems with game compatibility (isn't Wood R4 the best? I saw a game compatibility list saying that download play doesn't work with some games (NSMB, etc) and Acekards, but it might have been out of date), then also build quality and being certain that the software will be updated to be compatible with the few remaining games to be released for the DS (I'm certain AKAIO and Wood will have those updates), and finally EZ Flash 3in1 (or similar device, still haven't bought any and I don't know if I ever will anyway) compatibility and homebrew performance.

Trying to discover which of those three flashcarts, the original R4, Acekard 2i or 2.1, is superior in those qualities. Feel free to make suggestions on another cart if I've missed it, but it seems like those three are the best? And price is a factor, so although I might someday get a DSTwo, for now I don't need it.

Will be using a NDS Lite, and will probably never buy a 3DS or any other NDS, so the only appeal of non-Lite compatibility is possible re-sale value which I will probably never do.

D

Deleted-236924

I would recommend the original R4, unless you want to use a microSDHC.
Wood R4 has very frequent updates, while AKAIO has AAP, so it doesn't requires as many updates.
The original R4 has an awesome build quality, judging from the review, while the AK2.1 has a meh build quality (The AK2i has a much better build quality, though. But both have contact issues, from what I've read.)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

If you do not plan on using a DSi or a 3DS, and you're worried about contact issues with the Acekard, get a regular R4. The Acekard and the R4 have pretty much the same compatibility with games. The Acekard has an anti-AP mode, which means games with AP can potentially work before a patch is released. The R4 is also a little cheaper.

If you do not plan on using a DSi or a 3DS, if you're not worried about maybe having contact issues (can potentially be fixed if you do have contact issues), and you're okay with paying ~$5 more, get an Acekard 2.1.

If you're okay with paying another ~$5 more, invest in an Acekard 2i or R4i Gold for DSi/3DS compatibility for DS games. If you plan on using a MicroSD card bigger than 2GB, you need something other than the regular R4.

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So then a consensus is beginning to form that the Acekards 2i and 2.1 still have some build quality issues that have not been corrected?

*Can anybody confirm that the Download Play also does not function on Acekards on many games such as NSMB? I'm new to this, but that means no local wireless multiplayer, right? That would suck.

Anyone know how these compare when it comes to battery drain or homebrew performance? What about Slot 2 GBA emulator compatibility?

*The list I refered to is http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/AceKard_compatibility_list
I am not even sure about the card OS being used, that's why I asked about it.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
caribou007 said:
So then a consensus is beginning to form that the Acekards 2i and 2.1 still have some build quality issues that have not been corrected?
The build quality isn't that bad, I have two of them -- no problems.
Can anybody confirm that the Download Play also does not function on Acekards on many games such as NSMB? I'm new to this, but that means no local wireless multiplayer, right? That would suck.**
It works.
Anyone know how these compare when it comes to battery drain or homebrew performance? What about Slot 2 GBA emulator compatibility?
I've done a lot of battery testing with f/cards (even made an app for testing
tongue.gif
) The R4 gets about 15 hours on lowest brightness, the acekard 14.
Both cards support the Ezflash 3in1 slot2 f/card for perfect GBA playing but the cards have no natural GBA emulation by themselves.
My experience is the AK2i is a little better at homebrew but they're both very good.

**The list I refered to is http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/AceKard_compatibility_list
I am not even sure about the card OS being used, that's why I asked about it.
BTW-if you have a DSi you need to choose the AK 2i, the r4 won't work with it. I wouldn't recommend the AK 2.1 in any case.

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So about the build quality, it seems the contact issues haven't been fixed as of now, and it could even stretch the handheld's slot causing problems with retail carts. However, some people say they don't have these problems, so you just take your chances with Acekards?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Build quality can sometimes vary even within the same cart as designs change and shops don't all sell the same stock, read reviews for details.

Battery, I linked you to.

The only things that have a performance difference are DSi-mode homebrws on the iEvolution, and homebrew specifically made for the DSTwo running on the DSTwo. Other than that, homebrew runs the same.

Game compatibility...
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=290097&hl=
If it's listed as having updates there, then it has updates. A main function of updates is to fix new games. Which carts get updates faster than other varies across time, (for example M3i Zero used to be hella' fast, now it doesn't do shit).

And for like the 8th time, don't get an Acekard 2.1. If you're getting an acekard, spend $2 more or whatever and get the 2i.

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks Rydian, I missed Snailface's test results on that thread when I looked over it, and didn't realize that the Acekard 2i and R4 had in fact been tested side by side using Snailface's battery testing app. However, I'm curious, does this battery testing app simulate SD card reads that would be taking place during normal gameplay? Since this is done by the flashcard's own hardware, isn't there a chance it could be a factor? --Update: "Yeah, it's streaming an MP3* which is very SD read-intensive, and yes, it is a significant factor in battery life. The overall power drain of the app is similar to a retail game being played on a flashcart so it's a good metric of overall battery life IMO. smile.gif
*most ds games use MIDI which is not SD read intensive" -Snailface

..and Download Play works with all games on the new AKAIO for sure, so it's just as functional as an R4 Wood? --Update: Yes, yes it does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.