Battery drain in 4.1.0/ReiNX/AutoRCM in sleep mode

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by pworld, Sep 13, 2018.

1. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    Hi everyone, I got some battery drain which I can't really explain.

I am using ReiNX together with a 4.1.0 firmware and AutoRCM enabled. I have deleted all Wifi settings.
    The switch is definitely in sleep mode as I can turn it on without sending it a payload.
    The drain is about 10% per day, which is somewhat lower than other people with battery drain reported, but also much higher than OFW.

Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix/avoid it?

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    What people report is battery drain in RCM. If this is battery drain in sleep mode, try booting to OFW and test the sleep there.

3. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    I already know the battery drain is much lower in OFW, as it layed there for two weeks once and still didn't run out of charge.

EDIT: But fair enough, I don't know whether it's ReiNX or AutoRCM, so I will try to reboot to stock (but with AutoRCM enabled) to see it

4. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    If it is in RCM, you won't be able to do anything unless you push a payload (you can turn it off by holding the power button for 12+ seconds).
    If it is in sleep mode, you can wake it, for example, with the home button

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Sep 13, 2018
  5. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    I know that, thus I said that I know it's not a drain caused by being in RCM mode

6. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    isn't a 10 percent loss a day kinda normal in sleep mode ? I'm guessing ur talking about your switch being docked while being in sleep mode ? If it's not a 10 percent drain is normal because the battery degrades over time and depletion will be bigger and bigger the older it gets

Last edited by kumikochan, Sep 13, 2018
  7. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    Nah, it is definitely not normal, it should be much less (but maybe you think it is normal because you have the same problem as me?).
    No, it isn't docked, just laying there, Joycons attached, but nothing else done with it.

comput3rus3r likes this.
  8. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    That's not normal, because Switch's sleep mode is extremely effective.

OP. Try different CFW (any from Hekate pretty much) and see if the drain is same.

9. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    It is normal, your battery degraded a bit more then others.. That's it. Sometimes you're in luck and sometimes you're just unlucky and got a bad battery

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I get a 5 percent loss a day. I'm pretty sure after a year i'll also be closer to that number. It depends on your battery. Not all batteries are alike, even when they're from the same brand of same type and so forth. Some are lucky and some are unlucky that they have a battery that performs less than the other

10. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    If his battery degraded this fast, his switch wouldn't last even an hour while gaming...
    This is not normal even for 2 year oldbattery.
    If his battery is really this bad, he would be loosing about 8ish% per day while off.
    Also his battery drain in OFW is lower.

comput3rus3r likes this.
  11. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    10 percent a day ? So if you don't charge it, it will be depleted after 10 days ? Sounds kinda normal to me tho. He's just unlucky that he got a bad battery that degrades faster

12. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    Well, I now will try OFW and check if the drain is the same. I think the drain in OFW should be the lowest possible.
    So you are also affected by the battery drain, although not as severe as me. Without battery drain, the battery loss is more like 1-2% (I am not sure, but something in that ballpark). The battery shouldn't degrade that fast, usually it has 80% efficiency for quite some time

13. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Also using autorcm btw until my reed switches finally arrive

14. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    This is not normal. Switch has an extremely efficient sleep mode. I left mine for 2 months in sleep and lost only 40%... (Forgot to turn off my 1.0.0 collector's piece :D )
    Even my phone loses less while being on (only screen is off).

Or maybe I am just super lucky and won an amazing battery lottery...

This can be also caused by an update. I don't know.

15. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    So that makes me think that in fact, AutoRCM might be to blame.

comput3rus3r likes this.
  16. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Could be, autorcm ain't a good thing and is a bitch to turn off your switch while having that hence why I ordered reed switches so I can turn rcm on and off with a magnet and be done with it

17. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    I don't think that, as I didn't update the console, but left it (in 4.1.0) in sleep mode for a long time in OFW (without AutoRCM) and didn't lose too much (1-2% per day were really a ballpark estimate, 40% in two months might also have been the case)

18. xitpu

xitpu Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2008
    United States
    Maybe even if in sleep mode, if you have a heavy game loaded into memory (es. Skyrim) maybe the sleep mode drain a little more (from 4-5% to 9-10%)...
    About difference beetwen OFW e CFW maybe in OFW you dont load any games.

19. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Yeah could be that when you have a game loaded while in sleep mode that it drains faster then when no game is loaded into the memory. Could be, u made a good point. Didn't think about that

20. pworld
    OP

pworld Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    Ah, that could be a reason, that's something I should try out

kumikochan likes this.