Batoru Rowaiaru (Battle Royale)

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Private|Par, Aug 26, 2008.

Aug 26, 2008
  1. Private|Par
    OP

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I'm wondering if anyone has seen the movie, or read the book and/or the manga. I'm about to get the movie and watch it, and have been reading the manga online for a while. I think it's one of the best mangas I've ever read. I love the concept and the execution, at least in the manga, is excellent. For those who have no idea what Battle Royale is, I'll give you the same definition I've been giving everyone else ever since I stumbled upon it:

Battle Royale is about Japan in the near future. They have a program, called The Program, which involves putting all these Year Nine kids (14 to 16) on an island and putting explosive collars around their necks. They give them a bag containing a map, a compass and a random weapon (could be a fork, could be a machete, could be a shotgun) and then making them kill each-other for sport. They have three days to kill each-other, or they all die. To stop people from trying to escape the island, the coast guard is stationed around the island with orders to shoot on sight. The island is also divided into grids, which become danger zones to stop people from hiding in one area.

Definitely worth a read/download. I've heard that the stories differ a lot in the different mediums (book/manga/movie), and was wondering if anyone else had come across it as well.

2. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    I've seen both the movies. I thought the first one was very good, second one sucked ass.
    I hear the manga is much much much better though, you actually get to know the characters before they die etc., so I'll get around to reading that one day.

3. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    seen the movies and loved it. kinda reminds me of lord of the flies in a way. need to read the manga though. haven't got around to that just yet.

4. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    First movie was awesome. I was hooked all the way through

5. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    second movie sucked ass
    probably (i'm assuming) since the first is based on the manga and the second is just milking it

i loved it too

6. jaz

Newcomer jaz Advanced Member

Australia
    ^^^

What he said

7. cosmo2389

Member cosmo2389 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey! Battle Royale is Great!!

I liked the first movie a lot, but the second one was just mediocre...

I'm reading the book and it's really great, I like how it is written and I think it was translated very well. As for the manga, the Tokyopop "translation" was actually an adaptation (which ended up causing problems later in the series, and also led to so odd mess-ups)...

So are you reading the Tokyopop manga? If not, what is the name of the scanlation group (because I want to read the manga too, but I don't really care to read the Tokyopop version if I don't have to)?

8. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Im a huge fan of the mangas and the book, I liked the first movie, but the second sucked, because yeah... it wasn't based on the manga/book. And yeah scanlation all the way, way more readable and close to the original material.

Im such a huge fan of the manga that I got a T-shirt with The Program logo [​IMG]

9. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Ended up reading the entire book by accident when I borrowed it from my roommate many years ago just to pass time during class. I now own my own copy. =P

10. Bluntsly

Newcomer Bluntsly Member

Canada
    Only saw the first movie, I thought it was great. I remember my friend had said "this looks like something tarantino would like..", then later found out he had cast one of the females from battle royale in kill bill.

11. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    This movie is awesome. I agree with most people when they say the second one is a disappointment.

12. gov78

Member gov78 Ha made you Look

United Kingdom
    ahhh Battle Royal 2 rugby teacher death lol "KURRRRRAWRI *beep,beep...BOOOOM*"

13. miruki

Member miruki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Awww... saw the first movie some years ago together with my best girlfriend, actually we spent most time drooling at that psychopath guy.. but lol yeah, the story is absolutely awesome too... I'd like to read the book some day when I have more time.. and sadly the German DVD is totally sold out.. I wanted to make my bf watch it together with me but he hates subs, boo. :/

14. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Y'all might as well go and watch Suicide Circle while you're at it.

15. miruki

Germany
    Ugh... Suicide Circle was kind of... I seriously had to stop watching it after 30 minutes... too much for my faint heart.. XD

16. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, then you should probably stay away from Ichi the Killer.

17. miruki

Germany
    ohh but that one is amazing XD

18. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I saw it after a Game Design instructor recommended it to me. When he explained what the movie was about and all, I fell in love with the concept, plotline, everything (mainly because I had a somewhat similar game concept in mind).

Once I saw the movie, however, it left it kind of disappointed. The movie was good, just not great. I think I set my expectations a little high, also, you could see the movie's aging at times.

Most of the movie was just a killfest, which was in good fun, but it often times overshadowed the progression of the story. Some parts grabbed me, such as wondering how long certain character's relationships were really going to last, what's going to happen to Character A down the line, and whatnot. The climax was what really disappointed me, though. It kind of just threw everything together at the end... [​IMG]

I'm willing to give the book or manga a whirl, however. Which would you recommend first?

19. jargus

Member jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've only seen the first movoe and part of the manga and second movie. Very interesting. All the friends I show it to make jokes about it.
    Recent Example: In the lighthouse scene, they were laughing and said that everyone was going into Last Stand. Even I couldn't help but laugh at that one.

20. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Personally, the book. It's incredibly well-written, for being a translation (I think). There are two plots after the action starts, but it's not hard to follow, really. There's a LOT of character interaction that the movie doesn't touch on, and some of the deaths are just outright better (one guy pretty much gets his skull cleft in half, and this opens a whole different can of worms with other survivors who witness this).

I haven't read the manga, but I really don't want to. I like the book that much. [​IMG] You would probably like it too, if you can keep up with the story. I found it a little hard to follow sometimes because of me being unused to Japanese names and it tends to jump around a little.