Hacking Batch shrink Gamecube games?

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got any ideas? I'm recovering from a loss and I don't want to do it one by one again :cry: I did that first time around.

Thanks for any ideas!

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are savvy with command lines and batch files, you can use GC ISO Tool via command window as well, there is a .txt file included with it that tells you the switches and such. You could concievably use that to create a batch file that can process an entire folder of ISOs to DiscEx

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i managed to become totally l33t and I got a batch that will do a specific iso, in this case game.iso.

anyone experienced with batch know how i can make it do 1 file after another until the directory has been worked?

so as an example:
game1.iso
game number 2.iso
gamecube game number 3.iso
wierd name game.iso

process all of these using discex -c

seems to be working! BUUUUTT not using -c to shrink it. GRRRRR.

Code:
[USER=325063]Echo[/USER] off
FORFILES /c "discex.exe -c @file"

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added in batch processing support (as well as the ability to compile and run in Linux) to Fix94's gamecubeISOcompress v0.2 some time ago (it was the only shrinking program I could find the source to at the time).

Maybe if I can find the time in the future, I'll poke around the source code for a more up-to-date iso shrinker

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added in batch processing support (as well as the ability to compile and run in Linux) to Fix94's gamecubeISOcompress v0.2 some time ago (it was the only shrinking program I could find the source to at the time).

Maybe if I can find the time in the future, I'll poke around the source code for a more up-to-date iso shrinker

That would be cool

It's really annoying why this damn batch isn't working! I don't understand why the -c is being ignored.

Tried GCIT but that failed, couldn't get it to run from batch.

I think i see why its failing in discex, the isos are not named game.iso. Nope, still just fucking stupid as usual, this is why i give up on coding and learning stuff! never works easily the first time around!!!!

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SCORE!!!

Code:
FORFILES /m *.iso /c "cmd /c discex -c @file"

does what i need. why the hell does it need to call a cmd on top of a cmd?!?!?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SCORE!!!

Code:
FORFILES /m *.iso /c "cmd /c discex -c @file"

does what i need. why the hell does it need to call a cmd on top of a cmd?!?!?
I'm not all that familiar with Windows' commands as I work mostly with the Linux terminal, however, I would figure that FORFILES is basically just a for loop for the windows terminal. So basically it iterates through each .iso and runs discex on the file for the current iteration.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FORFILES is just that, scans each file and executes a command based on the supplied information.

/m makes it search for only certain file masks.

/c is the command...in this batch it executes another command prompt which then runs discex with the -c argument using the next filename in the directory. why it has to be like this is unknown to me but I'm glad I learned this. I think it may come in handy sometimes.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FORFILES is just that, scans each file and executes a command based on the supplied information.

/m makes it search for only certain file masks.

/c is the command...in this batch it executes another command prompt which then runs discex with the -c argument using the next filename in the directory. why it has to be like this is unknown to me but I'm glad I learned this. I think it may come in handy sometimes.
It has to be done this way because the program itself does not have batch processing built into it, so instead you're running an algorithm in the terminal that runs the program multiple times. Often programs/commands will have the ability to pass in multiple files as arguments and to execute whatever it's supposed to do on all of them, but that appears not to be the case here. It's a bit simpler to write a program that works for a singular file as you can hard-code your program to look at one specific argument instead of adding in extra logic to look at the number of parameters passed after a flag denoting the start of filenames, etc.. It's not all that difficult to add batch processing, but I'm guessing the guys writing these programs are more worried about the program working rather than adding the gloss at the end, hence why most of this stuff is coded for the terminal rather than pretty, user-friendly GUIs.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has to be done this way because the program itself does not have batch processing built into it, so instead you're running an algorithm in the terminal that runs the program multiple times. Often programs/commands will have the ability to pass in multiple files as arguments and to execute whatever it's supposed to do on all of them, but that appears not to be the case here. It's a bit simpler to write a program that works for a singular file as you can hard-code your program to look at one specific argument instead of adding in extra logic to look at the number of parameters passed after a flag denoting the start of filenames, etc.. It's not all that difficult to add batch processing, but I'm guessing the guys writing these programs are more worried about the program working rather than adding the gloss at the end, hence why most of this stuff is coded for the terminal rather than pretty, user-friendly GUIs.

I agree, I've always liked non-fancy apps, the person who wrote the application usually knows what they are doing when not worrying about a gui.

Here is my batch file to shrink it in case anyone else wants it :) Just put your isos, discex and its .dlls, as well as this bat file all in the same folder and run. working great here.

http://filetrip.net/dl?zfs4fdDf8f

Reactions: Leobgood

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, this thread inspired me to take a look again for any open source gamecube iso compression software. As before, the only one available is Fix94's GameCubeISOcompress, although this time I managed to find the source for v 0.3 . I brought in the changes that I made to v 0.2 that added unix support and batch processing, and this time I also made it so that disc 2 will be appropriately named and placed into the same folder as disc 1. If anyone's interested, I can walk them through my code changes, but I'm not going to upload the source as I didn't get permission from Fix94 to distribute derivative work of his code.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, this thread inspired me to take a look again for any open source gamecube iso compression software. As before, the only one available is Fix94's GameCubeISOcompress, although this time I managed to find the source for v 0.3 . I brought in the changes that I made to v 0.2 that added unix support and batch processing, and this time I also made it so that disc 2 will be appropriately named and placed into the same folder as disc 1. If anyone's interested, I can walk them through my code changes, but I'm not going to upload the source as I didn't get permission from Fix94 to distribute derivative work of his code.

Awesome job
!
I'm already done with my project. The batch process worked great for my needs but I could see how your work would make it just a bit more easy.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome job
!
I'm already done with my project. The batch process worked great for my needs but I could see how your work would make it just a bit more easy.
The main purpose for my code is adding in linux support (and I presume it would work for Mac, too) since all the other gamecube iso compression programs out there are Windows only. Adding in the batch support and properly placing/naming disc2 is just a little icing on the top.

KeinesR

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I agree, I've always liked non-fancy apps, the person who wrote the application usually knows what they are doing when not worrying about a gui.

Here is my batch file to shrink it in case anyone else wants it :) Just put your isos, discex and its .dlls, as well as this bat file all in the same folder and run. working great here.

Can you please reupload the batch file?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Something similar is built into modmii. Launch modmii classic, then enter S from the main menu and use the bulk game extractor

Edit: I'm not 100% sure I ever tested this with gamecube games but IIRC it uses the same cmd line tool from this thread so it should work

Last edited by XFlak,

KeinesR

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
i don't think i have this saved anywhere :( i don't even remember this thread lol

Hahaha ok, that's funny. See, i have several gamecube iso, i want to shrink them in DiscEx like the GCIT do, but in gcit i have to do it one by one, is there anyway i can do it all in one time? Like wiibackupmanager or something.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Something similar is built into modmii. Launch modmii classic, then enter S from the main menu and use the bulk game extractor

Edit: I'm not 100% sure I ever tested this with gamecube games but IIRC it uses the same cmd line tool from this thread so it should work
Hahaha ok, that's funny. See, i have several gamecube iso, i want to shrink them in DiscEx like the GCIT do, but in gcit i have to do it one by one, is there anyway i can do it all in one time? Like wiibackupmanager or something.
You may have missed my earlier post

i don't think i have this saved anywhere :( i don't even remember this thread lol
Vash long time! I remember you from back in the day. Good to see you!

KeinesR

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

I already tried modmii and doesn't make the compression. just take the original iso and convert it so i can use it with nintendont.

Reactions: XFlak

KeinesR

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Well, i figured it out in some way.

I made a .bat with the command line to execute DiscEx one iso by one, i only need to add one line for each iso and save the .bat .

Is there any command to do this automatically to all the isos in the current folder?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

By the way the command is gcit "The Ant Bully.iso" -f DiscEx -d c:\games -q

i used the quotation marks because the iso name have blank spaces between words. you have to add 1 line of command for every iso file and the destination folder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1