Hacking Batch rom trimmer for all

fitzbean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to making a simply/r4 batch rom trimmer.

It trims them to the exact same size as the M3 trimmer (tested 10 or 15), and it's faster than M3's to boot; best of all of course, load up as many as you want. It writes the trimmed roms to the same folder that the roms were dragged from, and appends the familiar "_trim" to the filename. It's only 145k.

get it here.

skinnyrom.jpg

Let me know if there's any problems.

fitzbean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jezz Hank, chill. (lol) I'm sure there are many, many people who don't read the M3 specific forum but do read this one, that's why. Just want to give everyone a chance to check it out. Try to give a useful, free utility and I get reprimanded for posting it. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed Hank? Lol.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Jezz Hank, chill. (lol) I'm sure there are many, many people who don't read the M3 specific forum but do read this one, that's why. Just want to give everyone a chance to check it out. Try to give a useful, free utility and I get reprimanded for posting it. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed Hank? Lol.

Like I said, post any tools in the 'Hardware, Devices and Utilities' form -- this way it's universal
smile.gif

I'm not reprimanding you, but we have WAY too many trimmers out there. What we need is some new ideas for software. I've got a few ideas up my sleeve that I'll be developing and releasing to GBAtemp -- can't say what it is though! It's a surprise!

And yes, I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed, so I'm one pissy sonofabitch! Don't mess with me!
hate2.gif

tongue.gif

fitzbean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Like I said, post any tools in the 'Hardware, Devices and Utilities' form -- this way it's universal
smile.gif

Yeah, I'm sure tons of people read that forum.
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
I'm not reprimanding you, but we have WAY too many trimmers out there. What we need is some new ideas for software. I've got a few ideas up my sleeve that I'll be developing and releasing to GBAtemp -- can't say what it is though! It's a surprise!

Honestly, it was as easy to make this as it would have been to actually find a trimmer I liked. I didn't know there were "WAY" too many out there though; I really didn't look.

And yes, I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed, so I'm one pissy sonofabitch! Don't mess with me!

Well, don't take it out on me
smile.gif

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
smile.gif

Yeah, I'm sure tons of people read that forum.
smile.gif

QUOTE said:

Honestly, it was as easy to make this as it would have been to actually find a trimmer I liked. I didn't know there were "WAY" too many out there though; I really didn't look.

QUOTEAnd yes, I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed, so I'm one pissy sonofabitch! Don't mess with me!

Well, don't take it out on me
smile.gif

This is too funny we're talking on two different topics about the same thing
tongue.gif
hehehe

Yes, many people read the form -- look how many views and responses there are for my software, Rominator for NDS
biggrin.gif

I know what you mean about finding a trimmer you liked -- I had the same issue, which is why I wrote one
tongue.gif
(Plus, people had requested me to write one that did batch trimming with a progress bar, safe trim, and destination to save the game, so I did)

I can't exclude you from my sonofabitchiness -- If I'm going to be an ass, I need to be an ass to everyone, or else someone'll think I'm choosing favourites
tongue.gif

--Henry

fitzbean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Yes, many people read the form -- look how many views and responses there are for my software, Rominator for NDS

So you're saying I should post it there too?
smile.gif

p.s. What's wrong with your website hank?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:

So you're saying I should post it there too?
smile.gif

p.s. What's wrong with your website hank?

I haven't really put it up as of yet
smile.gif
I've been so busy with work and programming, that I haven't really had a chance to work on my site.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cool tool never was going to trim because its anoying to trim all games but now i can just drag&drop the nds files on the microsd and it ill do it simply

fitzbean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys, there's a couple more options I'm going to add tonight to make it even easier; they'll be an update at some point tonite.

fitz

yukine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks very, very useful. Just as long as it safely trims, I've had bad luck with most trimmers overtrimming.

fitzbean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's v1.1

SkinnyRom v1.1

-drag and drop
-specify path to output (or have it automatically output to same directory the rom is in)
-safe trim
-specify appending text
-specify byte jump
-settings saved session-to-session via xml
-uses unique method which involves working from the end of the file backwards, and jumping x bytes until it
finds the end of the rom complete with double and triple checks to ensure there's never any over-trimming.
-much fast than M3s trimmer.
-does not use header information so this will work with ALL games.

check out the rollover hints for brief help for most of the functions of the program

skinnyrom.gif

Download it here

If you find any games that don't trim correctly; please let me know! I'll figure out what's going on.

Enjoy,
Fitz

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will this trim all games? And will the games still work 100%?

I need to know since I am planning on trimming the following (still don't have my R4 yet...):
Megaman ZX
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Trauma Center
Mario and Luigi - Partners in Time

fitzbean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HipN, it will trim all games (in theory, haven't actually tested every game) correctly and they will work as well as they are going to work. In other words, wifi and local multiplayer that sometimes break during the trimming process should not break using this trimmer, especially with the Safe Trim checked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No sharing