Batch Compression

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A bunch of individual files to seperate files?

My personal preference would be for a batch file and the 7zip command line.
Assuming all files in one directory open a command line window
dir /b (if they are not all in one directory tack a /s on the end to browse a subdirectory and maybe a /p if it is going to run over).
Right click, hit mark and select all you want.
Paste into excel or some spreadsheet. Remember to wrap it in quotes if you have something like C:\program files\ (i.e. a space)

The 7zip command line from the help. You may notice that this could do most of what you want but the command line is more powerful if done properly. This being said you could also play around with the list file support if you wanted.
7z [...] [...]

::= | | |
::= []
::= '/' | '-'
::= @{filename}

Basically you want, I suggest using the 7z version as the 7za version, while standalone, is a bit limited.
7z a -t7z [location\compressed file name.7z] [location\input name]

Insert this before the file names and fill downwards, I advise any spaces be filled with an odd character like # or @ so you can replace easily, copy and paste into notepad and replace tabs with nothing (they copy can paste if your editor does not like it) and the "odd characters" with space.
Save with extension .bat and run it from the 7zip directory.
You will end up with a batch file like this
7z a -t7z "c:\a.7z" "c:\a.txt"
7z a -t7z "c:\b.7z" "c:\b.txt"

Not very glamourous I admit but it works. Play around a bit and you can do just about anything. if you add a -m on the end of the command you can set higher compression and stuff. I suggest reading the bundled help file though.

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanx alot
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.