tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Barnes & Noble Nook Color revealed
so long, e-ink!
Barnes & Noble just unveiled its all-new Nook Color, an Android tablet fronted by a 7-inch color touchscreen... so long, e-ink! (Not really, the $149 original Nook is sticking around for now, owns 20 percent of the e-reader market, and is about to get a major software update). B&N is billing it as a hybrid of e-reader and tablet device, and has beefed up its software with a full-on tablet-style UI, along with Facebook and Twitter integration. There's built-in WiFi (802.11b/g/n) and 8GB of storage, but no 3G at this point. Thankfully, the price stays aggressive as a result: $249. You might think that means the screen is going to be weak, but B&N has managed to put an impressive-sounding "VividView," 16 million color, 1024 x 600 IPS display in this thing. Interestingly, there's a "full lamination screen film" on top of the LCD to reduce glare, apparently from the backlight, not just from external light sources.

Build-wise, there's that striking corner handle we saw before (smacks of the XO-3, doesn't it?) and a microSD slot, with a 0.48-inch thick body and a 15.6 ounce overall weight. Battery life takes a notable hit, of course, with a rating of 8 hours of reading with the WiFi off. Of course, underneath it all is still Android, and Barnes & Noble is launching the Nook Developer program to allow third party apps on the device, and it even ships with a few favorites like Pandora and Lonely Planet. The color screen also enables a new library of "Nook Kids" children books, full-color magazine and newspaper subscriptions, and video playback if you're in the mood. The Nook Color ships on November 19th, pre-orders are available now.

Contributed by SoulSnatcher

D

Deleted_171835

I messed up with the formatting and source.
mellow.gif

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/barnes-...color-revealed/

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Jeez, my heart skipped a beat when I saw this, thinking that color e-ink was revealed and my Kindle 3 was destined for the trash.
So... that's a good thing? You worded that a bit oddly.

I can't get this. I'm focused on the 3DS right now.
smile.gif

IgiveUgas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who would buy this? Still LCD so you'd be better off with an Ipad. I'll stick with my e-ink device to read books.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
LCD just isn't nice to read books on. The advantages of e-ink (huge battery life, easy on the eye, can be read in direct sunlight) outweigh being able to use facebook and twitter, which you can do on your phone anyway.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just got an e-reader so I am happy on the e-reading front at the moment. But if it is a normal screen, it will pale in regards to e-ink as you cant remove all glare. I would prefer them to focus on making a great e-reader rather than a multi-function device that is simply adequate at e-reading.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just ordered a kindle 3 yesterday. For a moment there I thought it was suddenly made redundant by colour e-ink. Eight hours with the wireless off isn't very impressive for a reading device...

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least engadet has the right pics. If you go to gizmodo they have pics of border's tablet. I told them about it and my post get deleted within two mins. Idiots, i swear. I shouldn't expect any better since the editor was outed as an apple employee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1