Hacking Bannerbomb/Modmii freezes at scam warning

prince_a1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a hacked 4.1 US Wii. It was first hacked in July 2009. I am trying to rehack it so I can get the latest updates. Several of my latest games don't work (via USB Loader), so I am hoping this will fix those issues. I have followed the instructions from the 'ModMii for Windows' sticky and chose the option to hack as a virgin Wii.

After I launch the bannerbomb from the SD card, I get the following scam warning.

bannerbomb-bootmii-02.png

When I press 1 on the remote, nothing happens. It freezes at that point.

I have searched on this forum and on google and attempted to do everything that I could find. I am using a Sandisk 2GB SD card (non-sdhc). I have formatted the SD card, obtained the most current version of bootmii boot.elf, tried all the different files for bannerbomb from http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/index.old.php. Nothing works, I get to that screen and it freezes.

Since I already have homebrew channel installed, I tried updating it directly. When I launch homebrew, it gives me a message to update from v1.03 to v1.08. When I select that, it downloads the update and then tries to update. It goes to the same screen as above and freezes again at the same point.

I would appreciate help on how to proceed at this point. Thank you!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
first off, the exploit (bannerbomb) isn't the problem, once it loads the hackmii installer the exploit has already finished its job.

before anything else try this... launch the hackmii installer, and do not press any buttons, watch the lights wiimote, you should notice them turn off, then turn back on, then you should see "press 1 to continue" appear on the screen, now press 1. In my experience, if u are impatient and try to press 1 too early, it can sometimes cause the wiimote to lose sync and give the appearance of a freeze.

If that doesn't work, try using ModMii's hackmii solutions feature, it will assist u in installing IOS58 before launching the hackmii installer, and it should allow your wii to launch the installer properly.

Btw, I'm guessing u installed cioscorp back when u hacked your wii in the past (did u play backup discs from the disc channel)? cioscorp definitely sounds like its the culprit in this case.

prince_a1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@XFlak: I was not pressing any buttons and waiting patiently while it loaded the hackmii installer. Even after pressing 1, I waited upto 10 minutes. That didn't work.

I installed latest IOS58 but that didn't help either.

I finally launched the homebrew channel and the WAD manager, and selected the option to install all WADs that were on the SD card. These were the WADs created during ModMii setup. After I installed all WADs, the problem was SOLVED. I was able to get into hackmii installer.

So, I don't know what the problem was and what actually fixed it. But installing all the WADs from the folder did seem to resolve the issue.

To your question about cioscorp, I don't know if I had installed it. But I had installed neogamma and used it to launch a backup disc. Would that have been a problem and installing all WADs somehow fixed it?

Thanks for your help.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
prince_a1 said:
@XFlak: I was not pressing any buttons and waiting patiently while it loaded the hackmii installer. Even after pressing 1, I waited upto 10 minutes. That didn't work.

I installed latest IOS58 but that didn't help either.

I finally launched the homebrew channel and the WAD manager, and selected the option to install all WADs that were on the SD card. These were the WADs created during ModMii setup. After I installed all WADs, the problem was SOLVED. I was able to get into hackmii installer.

So, I don't know what the problem was and what actually fixed it. But installing all the WADs from the folder did seem to resolve the issue.

To your question about cioscorp, I don't know if I had installed it. But I had installed neogamma and used it to launch a backup disc. Would that have been a problem and installing all WADs somehow fixed it?

Thanks for your help.
Hackmii installer will only use a non patched vulnerable IOS to install the HBC

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
yea, that was my next suggestion, mauifrog (sp? sorry buddy) did a lot of testing on this, basically some other IOSs can interfere with the installer, I believe he identified the 3X IOSs. So it makes sense that updating all the active IOSs that ModMii downloaded fixed the problem. I wish I could identify which files specifically need to be updated/installed so I can include them all in ModMii's hackmii solutions (even though 90% of the time only IOS58 would be required)

prince_a1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
yea, that was my next suggestion, mauifrog (sp? sorry buddy) did a lot of testing on this, basically some other IOSs can interfere with the installer, I believe he identified the 3X IOSs. So it makes sense that updating all the active IOSs that ModMii downloaded fixed the problem. I wish I could identify which files specifically need to be updated/installed so I can include them all in ModMii's hackmii solutions (even though 90% of the time only IOS58 would be required)
Yeah, in my case, updating IOS58 didn't work. Since there were a total of 41 WADs in the SD card folder, I just decided to update all.

I am assuming there were some IOSes that I may have patched to get certain games to work. By updating all, I would have lost those specific patches and would need to re-patch. Is that correct? Thanks!!

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FYI- Hackmii installer freezing at the scam screen is caused by ios30-v1040 - ios35-v1042 being installed on a wii that will not function with those ios. The hackmii installer tries to load ios30-ios36 and the ios crashes resulting in the freeze. Simple fix, install cios30-v6174 -ios36-updated and the issue is fixed, which is what you did with the wad install.

So any hackmii issue will be fixed by installing cios30-v6174 (or updated ios30-2576, no stubs), updated ios31-36, and ios58. That should fix all issues with it loading.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
mauifrog said:
FYI- Hackmii installer freezing at the scam screen is caused by ios30-v1040 - ios35-v1042 being installed on a wii that will not function with those ios. The hackmii installer tries to load ios30-ios36 and the ios crashes resulting in the freeze. Simple fix, install cios30-v6174 -ios36-updated and the issue is fixed, which is what you did with the wad install.

So any hackmii issue will be fixed by installing cios30-v6174 (or updated ios30-2576, no stubs), updated ios31-36, and ios58. That should fix all issues with it loading.
beautiful! I'll incorporate that knowledge into ModMii in my next update! And I'm glad (and surprised) to see that I actually spelled your name right in my previous post! thx man

edit: this was added to ModMii in my last update (v4.5.0), thx!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1