Hacking Banner missing from US region NES games

Aglaophotis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got a weird issue on my N3DSXL.
When I install a US version of NES VC games, the VC banner is missing.

364629-HNI_0001.JPG

It happens with every US NES game I tried. European and Japanese games don't have this problem, neither do GB, GBC and SNES games from USA. It's only American NES.
What's causing this?

And if that is of any relevance.. My 3DS is German/European, on 11.2.0-35E with newest A9LH + Luma.

Last edited by Aglaophotis,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
games can have localised banners (some games are configured to have region/language specific banners, but obviously this won't extend to regions the game cannot be bought in most cases), so the game is loading a blank EU banner, get the EU version to fix it

that said most games just default to the main banner if the system region doesn't have a corresponding banner, and some games will actually have a banner built in for all regions despite not being playable on all regions without cfw

tl: dr try stick to game's from your own region

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Aglaophotis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tl: dr try stick to game's from your own region

But this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid when it comes to NES VC.
I read that Nintendo is offering the inferior 50 Hz versions in the PAL region.. or is this only true for Wii U VC?
At least they got it right with SNES VC on the 3DS and all regions got the American versions. But the fact that there are separate versions of NES games, makes me reluctant in getting the European ones...

Well, the banner thing is not a huge issue but it's ugly and kinda annoying. It's also weird that Japanese versions never have this problem while American do.

I may have an idea though.. Couldn't I extract both versions of a game and replace the US banner file with the EUR one of the same game? I think it's the banner.bin file.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah you could, or there is always the option of building custom NES VC games and using the US roms, that would probably be easier than rebuilding a bunch of games and swapping stuff out....although I guess then you have to source images for use on the banner (although you can normally just google image search "*game* title screen, well I guess just go with whichever method is easiest for you, maybe just sticking the US rom in the EU romfs might be easier

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv