science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

So, my Xbox 360 got banned about a year and a bit ago for having modded firmware. My brother just got a new Xbox. What happens if I sign onto his? I know there is something about HDD's getting crippled... and other things.

Basically, what I would love to do is have all my achievements etc, to be there when I sign into XBL. What exactly is going to happen? And what is the deal with crippled HDDs?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it got hit in the Autumn/Fall/Winter* 2009 banwave then chances are your secdata got wiped. This means while it will continue to work on your console sharing data with other consoles will not work straight away (you can resign the data), more http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=264173 (although read the whole thread). The hard drive crippling (which is taken to mean the disallowing of NXE/hard drive installs) was reversed back in I think it was April (one of the last updates before kinect).

If you sign in and recover a tag then it will be from the last time you signed in (whatever you have done since will not be there- for that you will need to repair/resign your profile by hand). Saves will also be taken out but we have automated fixing tools for that these days http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=713004

*southern hemisphere types need not speak up.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, basically, I can sign on with my brother's (or any) Xbox, and be right where I was right before I got banned? This is just for moving my old files to a new Xbox?

There is no way to fix achievements, right? And to reverse the crippling, I just update to a newer dashboard? I will still have to fix the old saves though, right?

Thanks for the links, I think what I am saying is mostly right haha

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First we have USB transfer for all 360s now so you have that option. It saves fiddling with hard drives or FTP if you have a JTAG machine which is nice.

XBL should have the pre ban backup (not sure how current they keep things so you might lose out on a couple of hours)- signing up/logging back in will get you to that point. When offline though such things are stored in a profile until people make it online for it to be uploaded.

The 2009 bans initially removed xbox live which is a function of the key vault and corrupted the secdata.bin file. The loss of secdata.bin removed the ability to transfer saves/files between 360s, the ability to install games to the hard drive and the ability to play back videos which it tied to live somehow.

You could restore the secdata though (it involves dumping the NAND and scanning the NAND for a wear levelled backup- if you had a backup you could use that and if you knew you were about to be banned you could prevent it with a NAND write protect mod). Apparently upgrading to a new dash just restores the ability to install games to the hard drives.

If you touch any 360 data with a 2009 banwave banned 360, even after updating the dash, it will become unworkable for anything but JTAG and that banned 360 unless you sign it again with a valid keyvault (note some games are fussy even then- you will need a proper save editor for those).
I linked programs for saves, le fluffie among others can do profiles (saves too but it will be on a case by case basis) assuming you have a valid key vault (should not be hard to find one).
You fix a "corrupt" profile and you can transfer it around again which should also extend to achievements (a waste of time if you ask me but hey). Note that putting it back on the banned 360 will corrupt it again although as you seem to be aiming initially at least for a one shot achievements/live matchup that probably will not trouble you.

jeffrey1790

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i have a kinect banned 360. youre saying if i dump the nand, and restore the secdata.bin, i should be able to play on my profile without it getting corrupted?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jeffrey1790 said:
so i have a kinect banned 360. youre saying if i dump the nand, and restore the secdata.bin, i should be able to play on my profile without it getting corrupted?

It is possible. But I think if you have updated the xbox since the ban/profile corruption, it is too late as a update removes the old secdata. Not positive though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kinect banned 360? I assume this means a previously banned 360 now sitting on kinect.

The theory is that NAND memory will shift what it calls a given point around a bit to stop the same sectors being overwritten time and time again (the problem is somewhat overhyped but flash memory has a limited amount of times it can be overwritten).
This also means old data sits around in the NAND after it has been "deleted"/"overwritten" (kind of like how when you delete something on a computer it sits around until the space is needed) allowing you to come in an grab it and ultimately restore the pre ban version. Some 360s do not have it for whatever reason and now it is has been over a year chances are somewhat higher this ghost data has been overwritten- I have not heard of MS deliberately targeting it though.

A similar theory was floated for the wii and how nintendo detect reversed hacks at warranty shops (as well as what hackers use to find out some things that go on in Nintendo repair shops) and there are a bunch more examples across hardware hacking in general.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it