Banking Concept of education

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by nintendofreak, Jan 31, 2007.

Jan 31, 2007
  1. nintendofreak
    OP

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Procrastination has struck again... Sadly i know people will tell me how important it is to NOT do it, but never the less, ive done it again [​IMG]

Long story short...
    Got a 3 pg essay to do on some of Paulo Friere's "banking concept of education". Id suggest you read into this a bit if you havent, its quite interesting, and makes you think!!
    Shortly it says..
    That Education today is based on "banking" students are filled with info, and based on how much they can remember, reflects their inteligence. Problem posing education on the other hand deals with posing problems, and then having the student figure out ways to tackle the problem. So rather than find the specific solutions to many problems... you are taught a general way of thinking to solve it. (kinda like math, you dont memorize what 6885560x 500 is, but you know how its done so u can do it.)

The teacher has 50+ papers to read.. my paper has to stand out! Which is why ive decided to say that Banking education is better than problem posing! (this teacher is odd, always challenges your thinking, so i have to make good points!)
    All i need are some reasons..

Im really stuck with it to tell you the truth [​IMG] so any i deas would be HIGHLY appreciated [​IMG]

Thanks to all [​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT:
    waits for mthrnite's ideas [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    If you are going to go against the grain with an essay, you need to make sure your argument is rock solid else you will come out sounding like an idiot.

First identify why someone else would say problem posing is better than banking. Then, find arguments for banking that counter the points for posing.

Generally I format my essays like this:
    -State your thesis
    -Support thesis with good points
    -Offer, lightly, possible arguments the other side would use
    -Then offer much stronger counter arguments in your favor
    -Wrap everything up and draw a final conclusion.

This is much more challenging than a usual "This is good cause of this" essay, but much more effective when done right.

As for ideas for possible points for your essay, I'm afraid I don't know enough about either to really offer any valid viewpoint. Posing does sound like it has its merits, but some material in school just cannot be learned without memorization. Take an advanced Chemistry course and you'll know what I mean.

3. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Jeez man, put me on the spot why don't you! [​IMG]

My problem is, I fall primarily into the "posing" camp when it comes to learning things. Like most arguments, both sides have merit, and their efficacy would depend largely on the individual being taught. That being said, if an individual is prone to learning things "more better" by one method, they would no doubt benefit more in the long run if at least exposed to a different mode of thinking. In some cases I'd think they would have to learn things by one method or the other. Otherwise, "math" people would never be able to draw, and "art" people couldn't balance their checkbook.

aah, so that's my problem!

Anyway, I notice Kyoji has chimed in, and he's a lot smarter than me, so I defer to his logic, and I'll put my 5 dollar words back in my Hello Kitty briefcase.

Really, the nerve of me, when I still haven't even graduated high school...

4. nintendofreak
    OP

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Sorry to put you on the spot mthrnite, i just admire your thinking. School has nothing to do with it. you havent graduated high school (yet) but it doesnt mean you cant think better than everyone else! Theres more to intelligence than school.

Kyoji-
    Thanks for the help [​IMG] Im going to follow that format.. just got to find some [more] arguments!! [​IMG]

5. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    Thats usually the trickiest part..finding good points, then on top of that finding even more to offer as counter arguments. Your main goal here is to display a strong enough grasp of both concepts to effectively support one while simultaneously destroying another.

The best of luck to you! Now to get back to my own essay...