Banjo-Kazooie confirmed for January release on Nintendo Switch Online

aaaaa.png

Announced unusually early is an unexpected pick for the next Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack game. Rare's 3D platforming hit, Banjo-Kazooie will be landing on the Nintendo Switch as part of the NSO subscription this January after a good few years of the game not being available on Nintendo platforms.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the main reason I'm a subscriber to nso is for cloud saving, but I do like the retro games (beaten breath of fire and super mario world, possibly one or two others). my first switch died, so I lost all saves, and I vowed never to allow that to happen again. it was still under warranty, but losing all saves meant starting over anyway. it made me very mad, because I was on my last chapter 4 for octopath traveler. I had never had this happen with a console before, so I keep my consoles signed in with cloud saving to make sure it doesn't. I got all saves back, better in fact, except octopath traveler and xenoblade chronicles 2 (had 35 hours in).

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
people forget fan projects like project 64 mupen64 and so on have been in development for more than 20 years... they were all started in 2001(first builds).

so they expect a new emulator probably made by a small team would be of the same caliber when they spent only afew months developing it?

while nso n64 emulator is not that good, its very stupid imo to complain its not as good as projects that have been in development for 20 years...
So just because they're behind the curve that means Nintendo can't improve?

Nintendo is a company with amazing games and with some of the most fucking goddamn talented developers in the world and you're telling me that they can't handle this shit?

Even by their own standards they are still a decade behind against the WII VC, a decade!

Keep in mind that the NSO expansion pack was a paid service from a paid development team made by the official Nintendo group, they have the source codes, the knowledge of the baseline N64 architecture the company made the damn console to begin with! They made the console they should make the better emulator and frankly i'm a little tired of Nintendo being behind of fans.

"so they expect a new emulator probably made by a small team would be of the same caliber when they spent only afew months developing it?"

PJ64 was orginally a small team, and look how big it's grown! Nintendo has a lot of staff too and still the "official" Emulator sucks crap.

Spending a few months to develop the emulator is not a justification at all, if anything it should have had been given more time in the oven to prepare it.

The upper management at Nintendo just doesn't care because they don't need the effort so they put the least amount into it just to make a quick buck, knowing that herds upon herds of fans will come and defend them, and that's the takeaway of all this.

Even if in the end you still think it's not fair to compare NSO to PJ64 I still think you might agree on the fact that they at least need to try and put in the effort to compete, even if they don't win they still need to put up a fight.

For Doing so makes me and others feel that Nintendo cares about the consumer or they care about putting quality services out.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the expansion pack is mostly about the n64, since you can get most, if not all, genesis games with the genesis collection, which I own. however, some n64 games are among the best games ever made. though, I didn't want to spend as much as I did to get the expansion pack. what I do like is the fact that they offer original controllers for the switch for the system. I don't think I used the nes or snes for those systems on the switch, and I haven't even played the genesis collection, but I've been playing the n64 with just the n64 controller. I'm loving it, now that I know how to hold the controller. it's very comfortable. that's the main selling point, at least for me, is to replicate the original experience. I did buy 2 of nes, snes, n64, and genesis controllers with one being for the switch, the other for the pc. if I had any real life friends who visited me, I'd use both on the system. that was the original intention. :(

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the expansion pack is mostly about the n64, since you can get most, if not all, genesis games with the genesis collection, which I own. however, some n64 games are among the best games ever made. though, I didn't want to spend as much as I did to get the expansion pack. what I do like is the fact that they offer original controllers for the switch for the system. I don't think I used the nes or snes for those systems on the switch, and I haven't even played the genesis collection, but I've been playing the n64 with just the n64 controller. I'm loving it, now that I know how to hold the controller. it's very comfortable. that's the main selling point, at least for me, is to replicate the original experience. I did buy 2 of nes, snes, n64, and genesis controllers with one being for the switch, the other for the pc. if I had any real life friends who visited me, I'd use both on the system. that was the original intention. :(
I mean if you like it then I have no qualms against that. I just personally want for myself for Nintendo to aim beyond their comfort zone and go beyond the stars by competing with fan emulators.

So I'm not mad or pissed if someone likes the expansion pack, that would be really pathetic of me to do.

All I'm saying is that maybe Nintendo can do better then what they're doing now.

Reactions: godreborn

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So just because they're behind the curve that means Nintendo can't improve?

Nintendo is a company with amazing games and with some of the most fucking goddamn talented developers in the world and you're telling me that they can't handle this shit?

Even by their own standards they are still a decade behind against the WII VC, a decade!

Keep in mind that the NSO expansion pack was a paid service from a paid development team made by the official Nintendo group, they have the source codes, the knowledge of the baseline N64 architecture the company made the damn console to begin with! They made the console they should make the better emulator and frankly i'm a little tired of Nintendo being behind of fans.

"so they expect a new emulator probably made by a small team would be of the same caliber when they spent only afew months developing it?"

PJ64 was orginally a small team, and look how big it's grown! Nintendo has a lot of staff too and still the "official" Emulator sucks crap.

Spending a few months to develop the emulator is not a justification at all, if anything it should have had been given more time in the oven to prepare it.

The upper management at Nintendo just doesn't care because they don't need the effort so they put the least amount into it just to make a quick buck, knowing that herds upon herds of fans will come and defend them, and that's the takeaway of all this.

Even if in the end you still think it's not fair to compare NSO to PJ64 I still think you might agree on the fact that they at least need to try and put in the effort to compete, even if they don't win they still need to put up a fight.

For Doing so makes me and others feel that Nintendo cares about the consumer or they care about putting quality services out.
nintendo doesnt develop any emulator themselves since the wii they just pay outside companys to do it for them, lots of emulators have diferent developers on wiivc and wiiu and now switch, so that is the reason they are diferent, nintendo pays a random company to do it for them, they show the project and if they think its good enough and accept it.

Same way rockstar accepted those horrible gta remastered versions to be released to the public, an outsourced the job to another company that got greenlighted by the suits up to to be released in that condition.

Just because a company releases an exclusive game or content doesn't mean they developed it themselves, so its not like it matters what nintendo knows or doesnt know about n64 inner workings since they didnt do it themselves.

Should nintendo had higher stands on the emulation that was presented to them? well yes of course.

In the end this outsourced studios have budgets and time constraints and such, that is the reason we see so many crap out there, probably had a deadline to release the service before November so they probably just rushed it out, they can still improve on it and fix it but i doubt it, im guessing, they gave an emulator capable of running like the 30 or 40 games ninty wanted it to play and got paid, and now ninty is gonna release the roms one per month.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9I mean if you like it then I have no qualms against that. I just personally want for myself for Nintendo to aim beyond their comfort zone and go beyond the stars by competing with fan emulators.

So I'm not mad or pissed if someone likes the expansion pack, that would be really pathetic of me to do.

All I'm saying is that maybe Nintendo can do better then what they're doing now.
I would agree. It should be less expensive or better, but I do like it, mostly the fact that you can use wireless clones of the controllers. :D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Problem I have with that collection, is that the emulation is pretty subpar, sound crackling issues, massive input lag. The Genesis games on NSO however, have accurate YM2612 emulation, less lag, and just play better.

Tumbleweed

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Problem I have with that collection, is that the emulation is pretty subpar, sound crackling issues, massive input lag. The Genesis games on NSO however, have accurate YM2612 emulation, less lag, and just play better.

Again, those are all issues that you and a few others are seeing, about crackling audio they launched a fix for OOT but im barely in the last chapter and I didnt notice a single crackling... I've played MK64 Star Fox 64 Paper Mario and OOT for hour and hours without finding a single major or noticeable issue in all those games..aside ofc the water temple on OOT but hell as I said and the other user above also said it didnt ruin our experience at all... I'm not here being a ninty fanboy im just pissed with people talking about a service that is really not that bad as you guys make it look like, this has NOTHING comparable with the last GTA edition problems, thats a fucked up game, NSO, sorry guys, its working just fine for me and plenty others subscribers...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Again, those are all issues that you and a few others are seeing, about crackling audio they launched a fix for OOT but im barely in the last chapter and I didnt notice a single crackling... I've played MK64 Star Fox 64 Paper Mario and OOT for hour and hours without finding a single major or noticeable issue in all those games..aside ofc the water temple on OOT but hell as I said and the other user above also said it didnt ruin our experience at all... I'm not here being a ninty fanboy im just pissed with people talking about a service that is really not that bad as you guys make it look like, this has NOTHING comparable with the last GTA edition problems, thats a fucked up game, NSO, sorry guys, its working just fine for me and plenty others subscribers...
You downplaying the issues isn't helping. It's not only a few people experiencing these issues. It's not like Rando has a bad Switch and yours is perfect. If you enjoy it? Great. It doesn't change the fact there are issues with this service.

Tumbleweed

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You downplaying the issues isn't helping. It's not only a few people experiencing these issues. It's not like Rando has a bad Switch and yours is perfect. If you enjoy it? Great. It doesn't change the fact there are issues with this service.
Agreed, maybe I'm just not as perfectionist as u guys are when I'm playing an emulated 20 years old game on my switch just for my nostalgia purpose...If you have a patched version thats the only way to play it I never owned a Wii or Xbox I was working my ass during those years, so the last time I've played OOT or Banjo was on my N64 20+ years ago which makes me happy with the current service despite the price being salty, this we can surely argue about.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, maybe I'm just not as perfectionist as u guys are when I'm playing an emulated 20 years old game on my switch just for my nostalgia purpose...If you have a patched version thats the only way to play it I never owned a Wii or Xbox I was working my ass during those years, so the last time I've played OOT or Banjo was on my N64 20+ years ago which makes me happy with the current service despite the price being salty, this we can surely argue about.
You're oblivious to the emulation issues. Watch the videos and stop acting as though it's flawless.

Tumbleweed

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

You're oblivious to the emulation issues. Watch the videos and stop acting as though it's flawless.
Why? If im telling you ive enjoyed hours playing a few titles and I didnt notice anything that could jeopardize my enjoyment its because those issues arent really issues for me?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a little off topic, but I'm enjoying what I've played so far, aside from the lack of widescreen. I'm at Mt. Rugged in Paper Mario, and I'm still at the Water Temple in OoT.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've encountered some graphical and framerate issues, but nothing terrible, definitely not to the point of the games being unplayable. it hasn't caused me to die or anything. haven't encountered sound crackling that I can think of.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? If im telling you ive enjoyed hours playing a few titles and I didnt notice anything that could jeopardize my enjoyment its because those issues arent really issues for me?

Just because they aren't issues for you, doesn't mean they aren't emulation issues at all. They're still issues.

Preeeeeeeeeetty sure it's not supposed to look like this

https://i.redd.it/ckgctqsbr0w71.jpg

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress...enshots.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370&dpr=1.5

It looks like shit.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
You gotta realise the majority of people playing NSO probably weren't even born when N64 was released, they don't give a shit if it isn't 100% accurate they just want to play games and not worry about fog or an incorrect texture.. that's why they don't bother to fix it, the only people complaining are either the few that have nostalgia or won't even play it anyway and just emulate it but like to winge

Reactions: Tumbleweed

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You gotta realise the majority of people playing NSO probably weren't even born when N64 was released, they don't give a shit if it isn't 100% accurate they just want to play games and not worry about fog or an incorrect texture.. that's why they don't bother to fix it, the only people complaining are either the few that have nostalgia or won't even play it anyway and just emulate it but like to winge
We're talking about two different emulations, so it's an apples to apples comparison. OoT is emulated more accurately on Wii than on Switch (actually, my pick is the Master Quest disk version, which is Gamecube), and that's more than a little ridiculous.

I mean, the state of things as they are: my Switch is on a very old fw, and my Wii is how I play older games. And that's preferable.

I am glad Nintendo isn't diverting its own development resources to emulation and remakes though. It'd just be nice if they hired slightly more competent minions to put out this stuff.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing Paper Mario. I just got to dry dry ruins, hoping to tackle that tomorrow morning. I beat a pita screen in dry dry desert with like 12 pokeys. anyway, I'm loving the n64 stuff. I don't think I've played yoshi's story either, so that might be new to me.

Reactions: ut2k4master

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...