Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
504x_drum.JPG

Looks stupid, cant we just use the touchscreen and a shoulder button?

QUOTE said:
This fall, Band Hero DS will allow four DS systems to link up for guitar-bass-vocals-drum gameplay. And for optimal drumming, the game comes bundled with a "drum grip" revealed here.

The Band Hero DS drum grip is a piece of rubberized silicon that slips over a DS Lite. And is designed to better enable the feel of rapidly playing the drums than, say, tapping on drum icons on the DS' touch screen.

The peripheral will come bundled with each copy of Band Hero DS, which will also include a single DS Lite-compatible guitar grip.

The drum grip, like the rest of Band Hero DS is not compatible with the DSi. In the case of the drum grip, it simply doesn't fit the system. I touched it briefly when it was wrapped around a DS Lite at an event in New York City last week. It felt snug and the pads felt comfortable to tap.

The grip puts drum pads over the DS Lite's d-pad and face buttons. The game's executive producer, David Nathanielsz, told Kotaku that the reason for adding the peripheral was to make it more comfortable to rapidly tap to the game's drum patterns. "They have this really nice push-back, bounce-back feel to them," he said. "They fit your thumbs well. If you start banging on that d-pad [without it,] you'd get blisters and you won't have that feel."

Kotaku will have more about Band Hero DS and developer Vicarious Visions' thinking behind the new peripheral and the game later today.

I still dont find GH to be suitable for the DS, they just feel so stupid but whatever the kids like it for some reason. Shit for DSi owners though, you'd think that Activision would do one for a DSi version.

Band_Hero_-_Drum_Gameplay_01.jpg

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks like it's gonna be bad.

A) Vicarious Visions. They're the people who raped Crash Bandicoot. I don't think I'll ever forgive them.
B) Bad name rip off. Rock Band + Guitar Hero = Band Hero. I personally though Rock Hero or Guitar Band was better.
C) Couldn't they just make a virtual drumset that used 2 styli for input? They could've just bundle the game with 2 extra long styli and the Guitar Hero slot-2 pack.
D) Vocals? The DS Mic is pretty crappy. Most games that use it just use it for blowing into or yelling, nothing as sophisticated as this.

It's a nice concept, but done wrong.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats worse is that two are mapped to the d-pad...so you can only ever drum with one at a time.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
The DS touch screen doesn't do multitouch, I think that's the problem?

Well, just make the songs so that only one stylus touches the screen at a time. Or somehow make it support multitouch. The peripherial just looks incredibly dumb, clumsy, and doesn't support DS Phat users.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
The DS touch screen doesn't do multitouch, I think that's the problem?
Yep but as I said before two drums are mapped to the d-pad meaning only one can be used at a time.

The a/b/x/y buttons would have suffice , this is just Activision making peripherals for the sake of trying to sell more copies.

This is from Kotaku

QUOTEThey know some gamers will groan. But they're confident: you just need to try it. "It" is not Guitar Hero 5 DS, which you might have expected this fall. There's no such thing. Enter Band Hero DS.

This November, Activision's Vicarious Visions studio will release its fourth music game for the Nintendo DS. Band Hero DS follows a trio of shrunken Guitar Hero games that were playable on Nintendo's handheld with a bundled guitar grip that plugged into the Nintendo DS' Game Boy Advance slot. The add-on simulated the feel of a guitar fret.

The portable Guitar Heroes were hits with kids but have suffered mockery by many reader of sites like this one, who have surmised that the games on the DS are only good for hand cramps and embarrassment.

"No matter what your game is, you're always going to have a subset of people who won't want to play it for philosophical reasons," David Nathanielsz, the game's executive producer at Vicarious Visions told Kotaku in a phone interview earlier this week. "That's unfortunate for us because there is a large group of people who see pictures of Guitar Hero DS or Band Hero DS and say, 'That looks dumb' or whatever. 'I never want to play it.'"

But play it and you just might be converted "I don't think we'll get everyone," he said. "But if we can get the message out there for people to try it…"

What if people could get over their apprehensions? What would they find?

Vicarious Visions' new game, Band Hero DS lets four people use their systems to play in a virtual band together. Its drum and guitar peripherals work only with the middle version of the DS, the DS Lite. Players can attach the guitar grip to play lead guitar or bass, wrap a sleeve of rubberized silicone around the system — the "drum grip" — and tap on mini drum pads to play drums or sing into the DS mic for vocals. And gamers can configure their band with any combination of those instruments, allowing for an all-vocals band or one with two drummers.

Imagine a quartet of players jamming together. The DS of each of the four gamers, linked over local wireless, emits the music of the game's more than 30 master tracks. Unlike Daigasso Band Brothers, the Nintendo-published multiplayer music game released in Japan in 2004, each system won't just play the sounds of the instrument its gameplay is tied to. Each one plays all of the music.

Being on a fourth iteration of a design helps. The developers of the portable Heroes repeatedly tweak their systems for detecting the strumming — and now also the drumming — efforts of their players. Some players, Nathanielsz said, lift their stylus after each strum. Some never lose contact with the screen. The game has to recognize that variety. Vicarious Visions has cleared elements from the touch screen and tweaked the programming again to improve strumming responsiveness.

For drumming, the game will recognize taps on its drum pads, not, as some may have anticipated, on the DS touch screen. A touch screen interface was considered, Nathanielsz said, but the DS' inability to recognize more than one tap on its touch screen at a time introduced the risk of the system failing to recognize two rapidly successive taps, particularly if the player was inputting them with two styli or fingers on the left and right sides of the screen. Going with something more button-based literally felt better for Vicarious Visions. "When we sat down and started prototyping drum play we wanted to replicate the rhythmic, kinesthetic experience of drumming," Nathanielsz said. "What we quickly realized is the movement of your thumbs in a horizontal and vertical direction was really compelling and fun." The gameplay that way should have the quickness and a bit of the physicality of drumming in real life.

The new game also includes WarioWare-sized, music-themed mini-game challenges that can be thrown at players in a competitive mode to throw them off or can be given to a struggling player in co-op mode to earn a boost. All songs are unlocked at the beginning of the game, but an expanded single player batch of 200 Achievements-style "Awards" spread across four instrument-based progressions has been included to help add longevity.

The game does not support the DS' Wi-Fi functionality and Nathanielsz said there are no plans to support downloadable content (as expected given the DS Lite's lack of storage capacity).

Why isn't this game called Guitar Hero 5 DS? Activision is splitting its rock-based Hero games this fall with both a Guitar Hero sequel and the new Band Hero console and portable game. The latter has a broader and more pop-inclusive soundtrack. Tracks include artists ranging from Queen to Pink to No Doubt.

To the skeptics, note Vicarious Visions' philosophy with these games. "We're not trying to replicate 100% the experience of Guitar Hero on the DS," Nathanielsz said. "The console games might be trying to make you feel like a guitarist... we're trying to abstract that one step. How can we make a great music game based on playing in a band?"

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
This looks like it's gonna be bad.

A) Vicarious Visions. They're the people who raped Crash Bandicoot. I don't think I'll ever forgive them.
B) Bad name rip off. Rock Band + Guitar Hero = Band Hero. I personally though Rock Hero or Guitar Band was better.
C) Couldn't they just make a virtual drumset that used 2 styli for input? They could've just bundle the game with 2 extra long styli and the Guitar Hero slot-2 pack.
D) Vocals? The DS Mic is pretty crappy. Most games that use it just use it for blowing into or yelling, nothing as sophisticated as this.

It's a nice concept, but done wrong.

i think they are just changing the name because they have been going with guitar hero for world tour, metallica, smash hits, GH5 is in making as well as van halen, the name "Guitar" hero insists its guitar only, when really its guitar hero + drums and mic. so band hero seems appropriate

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that the Guitar Hero games will keep the Guitar Hero name for the main series.

Band Hero is just a spin off aimed at family & "casual" players, the songs will be more "poppy". If this one does well, it'll become its own series.

Next year we'll probably get 4 serperate Band Hero games, 4 DJ Hero as well as at least 4 GH games.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its also been confirmed that not only will this not work on DSi but because of the size of the Drum thing, it wont work on DS Phat either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.