Ban Question...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by overlord00, Apr 21, 2010.

Apr 21, 2010

Ban Question... by overlord00 at 3:58 PM (1,400 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. overlord00
    OP

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    so yeah, i know everyone asks about bans, how they can tell if they will be banned and sure ways to stop being banned... there was even a post that directs you to the MS website... however my case is slightly different...

i have a jtag console at home, and some free xbl time and would like to update my gamertag and play a little halo or something (btw: no cheating).
    I was wondering if there was a tool that read the nand searching for particular flags or something...

i realise that there probably isnt, and that i would also need to wait for XBR4... but still wondering... prob get banned, but then back up from a previous nand dump and all will be good for offline purposes.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I doubt JTAGed consoles can go online without an insta-ban. If you just wanted to update your GamerTag, you can prolly just transfer it onto a normal memory card/flash drive and find a legit console to connect online and update with.

3. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I highlty doubt XBR4 will come out. The program it was based off of (freeBOOT) now has a single nand solution and is updated to the 9199 kernal. If you go on XBL there is no telling how long it will be before you are banned. It could be within a couple of hours to a couple of days. If you have a backup copy of your NAND then you can reverse the crippling parts.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Dodging Live bans with a JTAG box is a tough one not least of all because flags (if any) will only play a part of it.

Wait for XBR4 or generate* a "original" dump and use freeboot (I am more inclined to wait for XBR4 myself). There are some methods aiming at dodging bans and the like floating around but between drama, people without a clue and there being far more pressing things facing the rebooter devs I am not inclined to believe much here.

You also have to consider that you may not even get your free hours online- some have placed the bans at under an hour or even in the minutes range.

Edit: somewhat late to the party today.

* http://holymods.com/index.php?/topic/1424-...m-an-xbr-image/ and http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=14974.0

5. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    go online with a jtag you will be banned!

6. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    you guys that say its not possible, shame on you... how do you think the "fags" go online and get 10th prestige on MW2... must be hosted on a JTAG box... (something i DO NOT plan on doing).

also FAST, you are a gooldmine of information on this site. thanks for the links.
    thats not to say i dont have NAND backups, which i have many of, but perhaps a "blank NAND" will be better for this...

also, i dont want to transfer my gamer tag to someone else's box as i dont want to be responsible for f'ing up their machine...

7. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    @ overlord00 - They go online until they are banned then get a new KV and keys to go back online, rinse, repeat. That's how the f***ing cheaters do it. If ever anyone want's to buy a KV and keys that is what they are up to. I didn't say it was not possible, just that you will eventually get banned.

@ FAST6191 - About the first link for injecting your KV and config into a donor NAND, Do you think that is a good workaround for those who do not have their original NAND for freeBOOT v0.03x?

8. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    it's a modded iso. i imagine you're feeling real smart right now.

9. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    overlord00 freeboot demands an original NAND image- XBR is either more sketchy or more low level depending on the person you are speaking to but it can be upgraded "in place" with something like Flash360 because of the way it works.

@hundshamer good as in it works* then yes. I have doubts as to whether it is as safe as can be (taking into account the nature of moving in these circles of course)- while it should all work in software I would certainly have provisions to flash a working NAND image back with hardware.

*I have not played around much with it but I have not been able to get it to work (360 flash dump tool fails at the parsing my XBR + xellous nand dump). I sense this might be to do with my KV (Xellous dumped) as certain other apps fall over when using it while others (most importantly Le Fluffie) are fine.

The other side to all of this is not that MS ban you (not a great trouble to rebooter users) but they also have a console revocation list (what the CRL.bin in your NAND dump is) that they reserve for this sort of thing ("normal" bans skip this it but high end modding like this, profile modders* and save sharers are a different matter).
    Ending up on that is considerably more troublesome as you begin to move into things like uncorrupting profiles and fiddling with saves for people (you can recover from a bad secdata.bin but ending up on the CRL means every updated 360 will reject things "originating" from your console)

*I find that people willing to do this for effectively no gain and getting stung in the process endlessly amusing.

10. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    alot of people are asking for unbanned keyvaults on other forums, this is only because they want to host modded mw2 rooms.

most of the time it takes a couple of hours before you get banned for using a jtagged console, and during this period they host the modded room and let people max their stats.

11. JohnLoco

Member JohnLoco GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Ugh, whats the point? Just flash it and play no problem.
    If you can unban it and whatnot, surely you can flash aswell.

12. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    i imagine you too are not feeling so academic either... how does one play unsigned xex's on a retail console... they can not...

@JohnLoco; i certainly could, however, if i am gonna be banned like 5 mins after i connect there is no real point... hence this whole post/thread

@FAST6191; again, i have 2 or 3 full LPT nand dumps from my original dumpings of the nand, so im all good there.
    and on a further note fast, when i originally updated to XBR3 and the 8xxx dash, my original GT save was corrupt, leading me to think that there is already a flag in/on the nand even before any of this.

13. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    My apologies, when you said "blank" NAND I thought you meant "appears as" stock (suitable for use with freeboot) and not a truly "pre hack" image (such that you might dodge a ban for a bit longer).
    You are then correct that you can pull the 360 back from the brink with whatever NAND image you might have and then have it work again (assuming you do not blow the relevant efuses along the way), you just can not use a XBR hacked NAND image to directly generate a new freeboot one though.