OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Ban on tobacco displays announced
The open display of tobacco in shops is to be banned in England and Wales, the government has announced.

But plans for an outright ban on tobacco vending machines and branding on cigarette packets have been scrapped - at least for now. Ministers hope the display ban, which is also under consideration in Scotland, will reduce smoking. Northern Ireland is yet to decide a policy. Critics say the moves do not go far enough to stop young people smoking. A government consultation on how to deter young people from smoking launched six months ago found the "overwhelming majority" of 100,000 responses backed the display ban.

Health Secretary for England Alan Johnson said he had been impressed with evidence from other countries, suggesting the move would have an impact on smoking rates. Ministers say where other countries - such as Iceland - have removed displays, smoking prevalence among young people has fallen by up to 10%.

Alan Johnson said: "They see the point of sale display and as a result of seeing it, it encourages them to take up smoking. This is the key evidence as to why we have 200,000 11 to 15-year-olds smoking."

He said people who start smoking in their youth - aged 11 to 15 - are three times more likely to die a premature death than someone who takes up smoking at the age of 20. They are also more likely to be hooked for life. Deborah Arnott, director of the anti-smoking group ASH, backed the ban and said the prohibition of the display of tobacco products at point of sale would be "a proportionate response to the death and disease caused by tobacco". The Tobacco Manufacturers' Association opposes the cigarette display ban and says it could have serious unintended consequences, such as driving the sale of illicit tobacco.

It could also damage the income of smaller shops that rely heavily on tobacco sales, said the TMA's chief executive Mr Chris Ogden. Mr Johnson said the big supermarkets would be asked first to remove their displays.

Restricting access

He said other plans had been scrapped as a result of the consultation - such as getting rid of 10-pack cigarettes. Only selling cigarettes in packs of 20 might drive people who are trying to quit to smoke more, he said. But Mr Johnson said they would clamp down on underage sales from cigarette sales vending machines - people wanting to buy these cigarettes will have to show proof of age to obtain a token to work the machine. If this doesn't work, Mr Johnson said they had the power to ban vending machines altogether.

The British Heart Foundation says a total ban on vending machines is the only way to prevent children accessing cigarettes. Vending machines are the source of cigarettes for nearly one in five young smokers aged 11 to 15 - some 46,000 children. A British Heart Foundation spokeswoman said: "When the government announces further steps on tobacco control we expect nothing less than a robust tobacco control plan which includes a total ban on cigarette vending machines.

"We are concerned about the large number of children being able to access cigarettes without a face to face transaction."

The British Lung Foundation agreed, saying: "Nearly three quarters of people with lung disease tell us that they believe there should be a total ban on cigarette vending machines as they are the main source of cigarettes to young smokers." Dr Vivienne Nathanson of the British Medical Association said: "We hope the proposals to make vending machines 'child-proof' will be rigidly enforced and that if they do not work then this issue will be revisited by ministers."

The government had also considered banning all promotional material from tobacco packaging. But ministers say until there is enough evidence such a move would actually stop young people taking up smoking it will not introduce a ban.

Source: BBC News

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh cannabis is illegal but you see nearly every dirty chav smoking it on the street.

This will do nothing.

Endogene

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Guess a lot of shop holders are pretty angry now. Kids shouldnt start smoking because of the branding so i guess i'm cool with this. They are not banning cigarettes all together so those who like to have a smoke wont be hindered by it.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
They should take away the vending machines, I have never seen one here. I assume that they are in a place that is manned (a petrol station)?

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
Meh cannabis is illegal but you see nearly every dirty chav smoking it on the street.

This will do nothing.

Well, there's always going to be some way around it, but, this will eventually have a knock on effect.

TLSpartan - Usually, but not always. This is how a lot of kids get their tobacco.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here the vending machines are usually in bars and bar like locations. I could not care less what they do with tobacco as I do not smoke nor will I ever. They could make it illegal for all I care.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
The Teej said:
Hadrian said:

This will do nothing.

Well, there's always going to be some way around it, but, this will eventually have a knock on effect.

TLSpartan - Usually, but not always. This is how a lot of kids get their tobacco.

Thanks for that.

Everyone I know who smokes and is underage usually gets their smokes off someone in year 12 who is over 18. A cheap,quick and easy way to make money.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
what a lot of crap ! lets face it the government CANT afford everyone to stop smoking , and what is the real impact on Tobacco displays . when there ARE human Tobacco displays outside EVERY pub , restaurant , bookies and every single work place even SCHOOLS ( teachers have to smoke outside ) smokers make the government 8 billion a year and yet only a billion of that is spent on th NHS ? and yet Alcohol is far worse when you consider the impact on the nhs and police

Hadrian said:

This will do nothing.

this is the real problem , kids are getting stoned at school now and worse ! the government want to waken up , what age do they think we are in ? kids can get drugs at school whats gonna stop them getting tobacco lol

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
this is ridiculous, alcohol is just as bad, why don't they ban that as it harm your liver! and is lethal if you drive while drunk! ban it and add 100% tax on it! i hate our government sometimes, they are beyond stupid.

removing a 10 pack of cigarettes is silly and replacing it with a 20 pack will just make smokers smoke more as they will buy the 20 pack anyway, removing the design of a package on a pack of cigarettes is silly also, how am i supposed to read what brand is on it if you remove the design? it's like going into sainsburys and being confused by all the different detergents because they don't have their brand name on them, ridiculous.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
Ronstar said:
How much is spent on the care and medicine of cancer patients?

sorry not got exact figures to hand , but its less than 1% of NHS total budget which is about 100 billion ! to be honest a hell of a lot of the care is done by charities , but like i said government make 8 billion from tobacco and less than a billion of that is spent on cancer treatments ! our government is fkd up in the uk

off topic but in comparison 4 billion is spent on iraq and afghanistan every year ! yip fkd up government

and alcohol costs more than these two put together , ie nhs , and criminal related police , courts ,prison ect etc etc etc

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I take it the people opposed to this are smokers lol.

Not really one for facts and figures but I think this is a good move. Its not like you wont be able to buy them anymore, they just wont be right up in your face.

Don't worry about the government losing out on tax... they will find other ways to tax you.

I think its a socially responsibility move .... yeah sure they profit from it but they still recognize its wrong and are trying to stop it.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
Little said:
Don't worry about the government losing out on tax... they will find other ways to tax you.

I think its a socially responsibility move .... yeah sure they profit from it but they still recognize its wrong and are trying to stop it.

whos worried ? and btw they have hiked the prices of cigarettes in the uk to nearly £6 for a pack of 20 ! all they have done by doing this is they have made a black market now that never used to be there ! which then has a knock on effect to customs who should be spending time and money stoping other crap getting into the country ! which makes all tobacco stats wrong , our streets are flooded with tobacco from abroad , so its also causing millions of cash going abroad !

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could not care less either way myself, it does seem like one of those "if you outlaw fun only outlaws will have fun" situations though.

geedub said:
Little said:

whos worried ? and btw they have hiked the prices of cigarettes in the uk to nearly £6 for a pack of 20 ! all they have done by doing this is they have made a black market now that never used to be there ! which then has a knock on effect to customs who should be spending time and money stoping other crap getting into the country ! which makes all tobacco stats wrong , our streets are flooded with tobacco from abroad , so its also causing millions of cash going abroad !

Do you have any decent studies on the subject? all the ones I have seen were conducted in places like football grounds after a match (I am not a fan whatsoever but those I know that are quite frequently appear in mainland Europe and do limits on the way back).
As for prices in the southeast and when I was Manchester/Liverpool way at least there are enough people doing it that profit margins are way down for those in the "import" game. This being said I have never known there not to be market in imported stuff like this so where the "new" is from I do not know.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Ronstar said:
How much is spent on the care and medicine of cancer patients?

On tobacco related illnesses alone, £2.7 billion a year
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/news/arch...-cancer-tobacco

QUOTE(jalaneme @ Dec 9 2008, 12:54 PM) ban it and add 100% tax on it!

How do you put a tax on something that's banned?
wacko.gif

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
This being said I have never known there not to be market in imported stuff like this so where the "new" is from I do not know.

there has never been a blackmarket like there is now ! and going back 10/15 years the streets werent flodded with them LIKE now ! and you had to be in the know back then , not like now , your average law abiding citizen can even go out and buy them ! ( i know law abiding and buying black market cigs lol )

well considering Since the Government’s Tackling Tobacco Smuggling strategy was introduced in 2000 ! they too didnt see it as a major impact

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pbr2008/tobacco-2800.pdf

also it is common sense if uk tobacco prices were in line with europe , there wouldnt / couldnt be a black market ! which would give the government more control , money , resources , less money to bank roll crime , the list is endless

Smuggling
An estimated one third of all internationally traded cigarettes are smuggled, causing revenue
losses of over £2 billion in the UK alone. There is evidence that illicit trade of tobacco products
is carried out by organised trans-national criminal groups and that the money gained is used for
other serious criminal enterprises.
Smuggled tobacco products not only undermine price increases as a means of reducing smoking
prevalence, but also exacerbate health inequalities, and may discourage younger smokers from
quitting. Recent research reveals that 1 in 20 smokers in professional groups admit to buying
smuggled tobacco but among poorer smokers the figure rises to 1 in 5 There is also a strong
association with age: 1 in 3 of the youngest smokers (16 to 24 year olds) report buying
cigarettes from illicit sources.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has in recent years introduced measures to control
smuggling, including additional Customs officers, more dedicated investigators and intelligence
staff, additional X-ray scanners, tougher sanctions and penalties and a public awareness
campaign. These have helped to reduce the market share of smuggled cigarettes. However it is
estimated that approximately 22% of tobacco smoked in the UK is still smuggled (in the form of

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/images/pd...smugglingebsite

Smuggled tobacco kills four times more people than all illicit drugs combined

in other words , if you want to stop people smoking , stop the cheap Tobacco across europe !

END OF

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks geedub, ordinarily I would say something about them being from somewhat biased sources (government surveys are generally not a beacon of excellence in this regard and the other is from a group with an agenda) but it checks out well enough for me right now.

I guess I was referring more to the ability to wander into the local pub and know/find someone who has a done a channel run (or Belgium run as the present case may be), it being so prevalent around here you rarely see the more illicit stuff. This being said I am all for an end to rip off Britain (it might even make me consider staying).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi