Gaming Ban Guide - What to and not to do

petspaps

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay looked around and i haven't really found one. Our (meaning GBA Temps Faq) touches on bans. I thought why not go slightly in-depth. Hopefully I can cover enough and get pinned. Now for this I am addressing pirates and non pirates alike. More so pirates as in all honest having a flashed drive and having the internet is like starving while having a buffet in front of you. No one ain't gonna sneak a fries in their mouth.

Here we go:

What is a Ban?
Okay if you don't know what that is well you're obviously in 4th grade. It's simple, YOU ARE BANNED FROM XBOX LIVE! Not difficult to understand, also you loose some Xbox 360 functionality. Some were handed back to us during the last update in April. But in a nutshell you 360 becomes a paperweight. To clarify you GAMERTAG IS SAFE. You XBOX HDD is SAFE. As long as you don't play your saves after you are banned they are safe and can be transfered with your gamertag.

How am I banned?
This occurs when you have modified you console to play pirate copies. Usually you are flagged (more on that later) then you are banned. This can take anywhere up to 3-14 days on average. Once you are banned you console becomes the aforementioned paperweight. Microsoft are have a zero tolerance policy on this. Jtagged consoled are banned quicker than that timeframe.

Ok then, how am I flagged to be banned?
Finally you asked. Ok being flagged for banning happens in many ways but this all comes from one source. YOUR OWN 360!!!! Yes that's right you own 360 will or has done the dirty on you. The 360 is programmed to report anomalies to Microsoft hence either enough anomalies or one BIG anomaly and whack you banned.

What are these anomalies you speak of?
First off the bat, although this is still speculated on, if you flashed your drive and you used the 360 itself to power the drive this is flagged. Because the 360 is operational while the Sata cable is out the 360 reads this as an anomaly that the 360 is powering the drive but the drive isn't connected. This is usually a yellow card but as long as you don't botch the flash your still in the game.

The next common and yet simple flag is (drum roll) playing a game before it is released. Simple thing that so many idiots can't resist to. Do this and 100% you will be banned. No ifs or buts about it. You may have read or heard someone surviving this well that was either sheer dumb luck or someone was asleep at Microsoft that day. This is still a disputed policy as Microsoft love to do back flips on this and it is still unknown on how this will ban you due to some sellers leaking copies before their release date. Even so to save your console best to avoid this.

This one tops the list: playing a bad backup. Simple, there are programs to check this. USE THEM. And if the results are iffy then DO NOT USE THE ISO. Redownload it from another source or ripper or forget it. Don't try to patch it or fix it delete it would be safest way to go about it.
Some people have games that are patched a ban wave lower, it is recommended that you do not do this unless it is necessary.
If the burned game takes way to long to load it may be flagged.
If you put a backup in the drive, and there is no picture preview, it's not a perfect backup.
These may flag you. If you download ISO files (shame on you, blah blah blah), then you take the risk of getting a bad ISO file. People are putting bad ISOs out there in purpose, because, well, they are jerks and get their kicks knowing you may be banned for using it. Do not be surprised if Microsoft Agents are also doing this. BEWARE.
There are also other little things Microsoft check for so be careful.
Gamertag modding, Save modding and ISO modding is also flagged. Gamertag modifications are usually result in you gamerscore being reverted back to zero and you being unable to re-earn those achievement. As well as you being labelled a cheater on Xbox Live.

Don't update with a flashed drive. That's just stupid.

Be extremely care during ban waves. If there is any worse time to have a flashed drive it is then. Last ban wave a reported 60000-1000000 people were banned from Live. Next ban wave that could be you.
How do I know if I am flagged?
You don't, if you feel like you are then don't go on live ever again. Buy a new 360 for online and keep the other as a single player. Simple.

Microsoft banned it, Microsoft can fix it right?
Yes and no. If they feel it has been tampered with then sorry they mail it back to you unapologetically. Some people have gotten away with it before and that to be honest is pot luck.

What can I do with my banned console?
Nothing. Use is as a paperweight, take out you anger on it with a hammer, use it to level you wobbly table. Other than that single player. For some people they won't mind it. But not being able to play DLC or Arcade games may bother most.
You can't trade it and you couldn't really sell it cause who is gonna what to buy a banned console.
And don't go blaming the people who modified it or Microsoft for banning you cause guess what it's your own fault.
But I will say this if you have some sort of proof or evidence that you never downloaded illegal content and played it on your 360 then there is a legal suit occurring go join that.

Can I unban my console.
Short answer no. Long answer yes, but you will have to meet very particular requirements. Most cannon therefore this is useless. Most people who do this are banned again due to the mismatch in codes.

Last words, don't whine about your console being banned it's your own fault. Move on. This is for people who want to avoid this these are some of the safer measures..

Hope my guide was insightful enough for noobs and boobs. Mods if i forgot anything edit away. PS be gentle.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand why you would get banned by playing a game early. Ive bought games (not 360 though, i dont own one) like a week early from shops because they have broken the release date.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you get banned from Xbox Live there is still nothing stopping you from enjoying offline gaming after the fact. The Xbox 360 does NOT become a paperweight. It mainly just loses it's live functionality.

Believe it or not but before multiplayer we had *gasp* single player games!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What AshuraZro said and similarly if you consider your banned 360 a paperweight (and worth about as much) I will certainly have it off your hands for the price of a couple of decent pizzas- my associates are always willing to have another for system link, playing with mates on the couch or simply just to play.

Banning messes up the ability to play back xvid type content on 360 if memory serves- should still be able to use a network option though and the 360 was never great for media (certainly not as good as the PS3 or (homebrew) wii and nothing near the original xbox or media PC or even one of those media hard drives).
Re: transferring saves- as of one of the last updates and before that if you bothered to fiddle with the NAND a bit then saves could be transferred at will as you would a normal 360- pretty much only the ability to use media and the ability to use live is lost.

Also- powering the drive via 360 has never been proven or even justified that well.

No words on fiddling with saves, sharing saves, fiddling with gamertags (considerably easier for the man on the street since USB support was added) and how they can not just ban but revoke your 360 (still can play single player games but your 360's content will not be accepted by other 360s unless you resign it with a still valid key).

No words on unbanning (granted it is not going to happen for most people and those that can probably already know all there is to know on the subject).

I take issue with your proposed timeframes 3 to 14 days is incredibly short not to you made no mention of waves and far too long if you mean JTAG machines.

Similarly banning is not a sure fire result of modding a console- it is worth keeping it in mind when you mod (if you care about such things).

Bad isos are one thing but they can be checked for using common tools not to mention fixed. No mention of user modifications (wave patching).

To(o) long to load can and does just mean a greasy, fingerprint laden or scratched disc as much as a bad burn.

My advice- step away and start enjoying some games again.

petspaps

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
What AshuraZro said and similarly if you consider your banned 360 a paperweight (and worth about as much) I will certainly have it off your hands for the price of a couple of decent pizzas- my associates are always willing to have another for system link, playing with mates on the couch or simply just to play.

Banning messes up the ability to play back xvid type content on 360 if memory serves- should still be able to use a network option though and the 360 was never great for media (certainly not as good as the PS3 or (homebrew) wii and nothing near the original xbox or media PC or even one of those media hard drives).
Re: transferring saves- as of one of the last updates and before that if you bothered to fiddle with the NAND a bit then saves could be transferred at will as you would a normal 360- pretty much only the ability to use media and the ability to use live is lost.

Also- powering the drive via 360 has never been proven or even justified that well.

No words on fiddling with saves, sharing saves, fiddling with gamertags (considerably easier for the man on the street since USB support was added) and how they can not just ban but revoke your 360 (still can play single player games but your 360's content will not be accepted by other 360s unless you resign it with a still valid key).

No words on unbanning (granted it is not going to happen for most people and those that can probably already know all there is to know on the subject).

I take issue with your proposed timeframes 3 to 14 days is incredibly short not to you made no mention of waves and far too long if you mean JTAG machines.

Similarly banning is not a sure fire result of modding a console- it is worth keeping it in mind when you mod (if you care about such things).

Bad isos are one thing but they can be checked for using common tools not to mention fixed. No mention of user modifications (wave patching).

To(o) long to load can and does just mean a greasy, fingerprint laden or scratched disc as much as a bad burn.

My advice- step away and start enjoying some games again.

First thing, thanks for the input.
The reason i left out JTag was because it was covered in the FAQ. This is just some of the stuff that was left out. And besides Consoles capable of JTag are so rare these days it isn't all to much worth mentioning as anyone who has one already knows going online is almost an instantaneous ban.
The time gap is the consensus of how long on average it takes to get banned some sooner and some later.
Similar to other things that you mentioned most are mentioned in the FAQ, like ban waves.
Thanks I will revise.
And to the last comment I'm currently away from my console but id love to.

-Revised and edited

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
AshuraZro said:
If you get banned from Xbox Live there is still nothing stopping you from enjoying offline gaming after the fact. The Xbox 360 does NOT become a paperweight. It mainly just loses it's live functionality.

Believe it or not but before multiplayer we had *gasp* single player games!
Yeah but single player games nowadays are quite hard to come by.

On topic...I thought you knew if you've been flagged if you try to file your console for a repair and it doesn't let you via Xbox.com?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
Yeah but single player games nowadays are quite hard to come by.

On topic...I thought you knew if you've been flagged if you try to file your console for a repair and it doesn't let you via Xbox.com?
I agree with TK. Most games have a pretty comprehensive single player. I am in fact enjoying Spiderman Shattered Dimensions right now and it is single player.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
although it hasn't been released yet, i'm surprised (but at the same time not) surprised that the new dash wasn't mentioned at all.

it's supposed to detect your drive's firmware, making LT all but useless for remaining undetected on live.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I tend to preorder 360 games and 50% of the time I have them before release date.
happy.gif
and I never got banned, I'd go ape if I did.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Pi said:
I tend to preorder 360 games and 50% of the time I have them before release date.
happy.gif

Have you ever heard of tempting fate? You really shouldn't have posted that....

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
The Pi said:
happy.gif

QUOTE(hundshamer @ Sep 23 2010, 10:43 PM)

Off topic, but you should add all of those Windows 7 Regional Wallpaper images to your theme packs. The Bing packs are worth adding too. Seeing that they are Microsoft images and it's a Microsoft console, I can't see any harm in doing it.

edit: bollocks, how did that double post happen. I'm sure I edited that post... instead of a new one. It's probably where I have a tendancy to press the 'back' button.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tk_saturn said:
The Pi said:
happy.gif

It's not really tempting fate, when Microsoft have said many times they won't ban legitimate early players.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All depends on the type games you play, personally I don't play online. If you play Halo or MW2 you may think that. Games like Brutal Legend though, one best games i've played in a long time.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good, but how about mentioning abgx360 as a program to check and fix "bad" isos. [their database may not be completely correct though but its the best thing out there if you are not dumping your games yourself.

Also add some kind of note that a flashed drive itself can get you banned. When 9199 was out, it detected ix 1.61 even if it was updated to 9199 before flashing and before playing any backups.

current lt firmware requires ssv2 and correct split vid ... but this may change as new firmwares comes out..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.