Baldur's Gate 3 worldwide gameplay reveal, will release in early access later this year

Almost 20 years have passed since we saw the release of Baldur's Gate 2, but now, we've finally seen the first glimpse of a brand new sequel, in the form of Baldur's Gate 3. Revealed originally in cinematic form at E3 2019, Baldur's Gate 3 is set to launch this year, in early access. This is similar to how developer Larian Studios released their other works in the past: Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.

Unlike the original two Baldur's Gate games, the third entry's combat will be turn-based, which allows players to be more tactical in their approach to battles, as opposed to real-time combat. You can also optionally play the non-combat sections in turn-based form, and explore and do stealth sections like that. There will be five companions you can choose to travel with in the early access version, with more to be added throughout the game's development.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
great intro and looks stunning - larian how many hours wil this be 100 plus if so giv us 100 trophies to aim for

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm a bit disappointed that the combat isn't real time with a pause option like in the first two, but it's not something I can't get over - I was spamming that pause button anyway, so it may as well have been turn-based. Looks good - if the price is right, it's a day 1 buy for me.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
- if the price is right, it's a day 1 buy for me.
these type of games price shouldn't be a question - anyone who respects the length and thought especially the dialogue tht go's into this kind of RPG should pay up even if was 60 quid

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
these type of games price shouldn't be a question - anyone who respects the length and thought especially the dialogue tht go's into this kind of RPG should pay up even if was 60 quid
It's not what I would call an AAA production by an AAA studio, so it shouldn't be sold for an AAA price. I've played and enjoyed BG 1 & 2 both when they were new and when they were re-released by Beamdog, but Larian isn't old Interplay. If the game is *good* then sure, but if it's member berries, that's a different discussion.

Godofcheese

Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
IRL dnd is turn based
I guess they are also planning on implementing the dm mode they had in original sin 2, which was awesome.
Real time / pause is deprecated, glad that they chose the same system as original sin.

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks great, I loved the first dragon age, origins its called I think, maybe I'm wrong, and they screwed it up with 2 and 3. Then original sin came out, played 1st part, it was great, still to play 2nd. Looking forward to baldurs gate 3: )

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea looks great, turn based, with dice rolls. real DnD feel. 4 player multiplayer. its character building awesomesauce

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not what I would call an AAA production by an AAA studio,
Lol so are you calling it an indie game - did you watch the intro and the detail in the game - if zelda is classed as a triple AAA game then this is also - but I don't care what is triple AAA or not as most of us kno this game wil be contender for game of year for a lot of people

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Lol so are you calling it an indie game - did you watch the intro and the detail in the game - if zelda is classed as a triple AAA game then this is also - but I don't care what is triple AAA or not as most of us kno this game wil be contender for game of year for a lot of people

Not AAA =/= Indie

Most games are actually in between.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not AAA =/= Indie

Most games are actually in between.
"I really don't think you can make Baldur's Gate 3 without saying this is going to be a triple-A game."David Walgrave - even the producer says its triple AAA lol - as said before I couldn't giv a toss about triple AAA or indie terms - anyone who thinks this is not a big big dev title knows nothing about video games and I'd happily spend 60 quid on it but we all kno it wil be priced just like any other big big game

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"I really don't think you can make Baldur's Gate 3 without saying this is going to be a triple-A game."David Walgrave - even the producer says its triple AAA lol - as said before I couldn't giv a toss about triple AAA or indie terms - anyone who thinks this is not a big big dev title knows nothing about video games and I'd happily spend 60 quid on it but we all kno it wil be priced just like any other big big game
If you really want to split hairs like this then Baldur's Gate 3 is developed in-house and self-published by Larian Studios, which is a fairly small studio, so for all intents and purposes it *is* indie by the most strictest definition of the word, and I'm going to call it that going forward just because it makes you tilted. I haven't even called the game "bad" at any point, I said that I'll pick it up day 1, with the proviso that "the price is right" for what I get. I don't understand why you're so upset, but it is somewhat amusing. I'm a BG fan through and through, your critique doesn't make a dent.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you really want to split hairs like this then Baldur's Gate 3 is developed in-house and self-published by Larian Studios, which is a fairly small studio, so for all intents and purposes it *is* indie by the most strictest definition of the word, and I'm going to call it that going forward just because it makes you tilted. I haven't even called the game "bad" at any point, I said that I'll pick it up day 1, with the proviso that "the price is right" for what I get. I don't understand why you're so upset, but it is somewhat amusing. I'm a BG fan through and through, your critique doesn't make a dent.
If yr a BG fan then you should support the studio and pay launch day price as you claim its small studio so by tht means they need every penny they can get - the studio isn't small anyway it has over 250 staff

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If yr a BG fan then you should support the studio and pay launch day price as you claim its small studio so by tht means they need every penny they can get - the studio isn't small anyway it has over 250 staff
That's rather small, comparatively speaking. Like I said, I will if it's good - so far it doesn't look like the BG I remember, but it looks fairly interesting.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I dare not answer as this thread will derail quicker than you can say triple AAA lol
But I need to know, :( lol I don't even have a vague notion of what the criteria are.

Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the all time greats and a big part of my development. But when I look at BG3 I just see Divinity Original Sin 2. I recognize the forgotten realms setting but I think the BG is more for name recognition than anything else.

Last edited by FGFlann,
Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...