Baikal kernel for CUH-7215B 9.00 with USB network dongle support

xTheRussianx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOKAY! So - as we all know, CUH-7215B (and 6B, and several newer Slims with Baikal chips) have almost no working kernels.

There is a 4.14.19 Baikal patched kernel with dongle support thanks to rancid(0) but because it's 4.14 we don't get the fancy mesa drivers for actually good graphics acceleration. Those need a newer kernel.

The 5.13.18 Baikal patched kernel has broken Wifi, LAN and Bluetooth, and we can't load modules to make USB dongles work because we have no internet access to download headers to try to make anything work.

(At least not easily.)

Being that no new kernel seems to be on the horizon, I spent the last week of my life learning how to edit and cross-compile a Linux kernel, and testing every change I made on the PS4 Pro until something worked. Or my wife yelled at me.

I took the source of the 5.3.18 Baikal patched kernel using the baikal branch from https://github.com/ps4boot/ps4-linux/tree/baikal, ripped out the config from rancid(0)'s 4.14.19 and used that as the .config to make the bzimage.

I did it this way because I, at this point in time, I have no way of comparing differences that don't make my eyes bleed.

The result is a 5.13.18 kernel with USB network dongle support. At time of writing, I'm running ITMania's ENCOM Fedora 35, with an RT8153 Microsoft Surface adapter (it's just a Realtek 8153 USB to ethernet adapter.) Plug and play USB support seems to be working. Adapter mileage may vary. It's not internal LAN or WLAN, but it's a start.

I'll be testing games soon, once I get a bigger USB3.0 Flash drive.

I dub this kernel "Baltika 5" - because Baikal is a Russian chip, Baltika 5 is a cheap shitty Russian beer that gets the job done, and this is a cheap, shitty kernel that gets the job done.

I'll keep trying to get the WLAN working - if I can ever find a driver for the MT7667BSN or one that works.
When that happens, if that happens, I'll update the link to a newer version.

It's packaged with hippie68's initramfs.
I suggest using ITMania's ENCOM OS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.mediafire.com/file/25ieddloil1f57d/5.3.18_BALTIKA.zip/file <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Kernel

<<<<<< ENCOM OS in action - credit to ITMania; very nice build.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i68Wg9tV1taOb7StAMrT85k3M3Ti_IOk/view <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ENCOM OS - Rename it to psxitarch.tar.xz, install as normal.

Last edited by xTheRussianx,

AfricanLuigi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many thanks, I'll give this a go when able and let you know the results (I'll try it on Manjaro first since I dont feel like waiting for another distro install lol)

Reactions: xTheRussianx

xTheRussianx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many thanks, I'll give this a go when able and let you know the results (I'll try it on Manjaro first since I dont feel like waiting for another distro install lol)

Yes, please let me know.

USB dongles are a start, but hopefully this will also incentivize someone else to help figure out internal wlan.

AfricanLuigi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can confirm it works under Manjaro on my 7215b, using wifi tethering from my Android and pages load up on Chromium :) Thanks a lot, I hope for the same. If I knew where to start in terms of even learning about how to do this kind of stuff... Sadly I've only used ever used Kali Linux and Ubuntu, never messed with coding/compiling stuff much

Reactions: xTheRussianx

xTheRussianx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can confirm it works under Manjaro on my 7215b, using wifi tethering from my Android and pages load up on Chromium :) Thanks a lot, I hope for the same. If I knew where to start in terms of even learning about how to do this kind of stuff... Sadly I've only used ever used Kali Linux and Ubuntu, never messed with coding/compiling stuff much
Good to hear! That's a start! =D

Reactions: AfricanLuigi

vitalka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey after installing the Encom image with your bzimage with exec install-psxitarch.sh and resume-boot im getting black screen. Even if send again a payload for linux

Have you tried the kernel with gentoo? Gentoo is running for me, but i dont have tested it yet with your kernel.

xTheRussianx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey after installing the Encom image with your bzimage with exec install-psxitarch.sh and resume-boot im getting black screen. Even if send again a payload for linux

Have you tried the kernel with gentoo? Gentoo is running for me, but i dont have tested it yet with your kernel.
Use the HDMI trick.

At the black screen, hit CTRL + ALT + F2, Unplug the HDMI for a second, plug it back in, hit CTRL+ALT+F1

kimouser6471

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Thank you for your efforts, but unfortunately, the ps4 pro 7218b cannot be turned on smoothly, and it is stuck after the machine flashes blue light
Use karo 90N jb with linux 2G

Last edited by kimouser6471,

xTheRussianx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your efforts, but unfortunately, the ps4 pro 7218b cannot be turned on smoothly, and it is stuck after the machine flashes blue light
vanille-source-5.3.18 can start normally
Use kario jb with linux 2G

That's useful information/

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that my kernel could not help you. =(

kimouser6471

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
This kernel supports bt and wifi dongles
The test result is valid on ps4 pro 7218b

linux OS use PS4_Fedora32_MW_Itm.tar.xz
miniwifi :mt7602u works fine
rt2500usb can recognize but cannot connect to AP

linux OS ENCOM-OS_ITm.tar.xz
miniwifi:mt7602u not work
t2500usb can recognize but cannot connect to AP
Android phone share WIFI to ps4 pro via usb is work
CSR BT(41b13)v2.0 usb dongle can recognize & ps3 controller is work
but cannot connect to ps4 controller

Source:.........psxita.it/forum/psxitarch-linux-una-distro-per-ps4-t6120-40.html#p45702

Attachments

• bzImage-usbwifi.rar
    5.7 MB · Views: 123
Last edited by kimouser6471,

xTheRussianx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This kernel supports bt and wifi dongles
The test result is valid on ps4 pro 7218b

linux OS use PS4_Fedora32_MW_Itm.tar.xz
miniwifi :mt7602u works fine
rt2500usb can recognize but cannot connect to AP

linux OS ENCOM-OS_ITm.tar.xz
miniwifi:mt7602u not work
t2500usb can recognize but cannot connect to AP
Android phone share WIFI to ps4 pro via usb is work
CSR BT(41b13)v2.0 usb dongle can recognize & ps3 controller is work
but cannot connect to ps4 controller

Source:.........psxita.it/forum/psxitarch-linux-una-distro-per-ps4-t6120-40.html#p45702
Yeah, that's rancid(o)'s kernel, but it's 4.14. I ripped the config from that kernel to compile mine.

That one works, but being on 4.14, you don't have access to the good Mesa drivers.

kimouser6471

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
my ps4 7218b usb dongle works
Can you tell me which linux version and configuration to use?
JB website
I want to confirm why I can't start
thanks

volume_up

42 / 5,000

翻譯結果​

Can you tell me which linux version and configuration to use? JB website I want to confirm why I can't start thanks

tkroyal44

Trophies
XP
Country
Mongolia
Can you tell me which linux version and configuration to use?
JB website
I want to confirm why I can't start
thanks

volume_up

42 / 5,000

翻譯結果​

Can you tell me which linux version and configuration to use? JB website I want to confirm why I can't start thanks

vitalka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

what are the bzimage for and what are the initramfs.cpio.gz for? Where is the exact difference between these?

THX!!!!

AfricanLuigi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use karo 90N jb with linux 2G
I had this issue with 5.3.18 kernel from Nazky. Keeping the linux USB as the *only* usb plugged in before launching the payload gave me a proper display. Then you can plug in a keyboard or hub after startup. Hope that works for you.

Reactions: kimouser6471

kimouser6471

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I had this issue with 5.3.18 kernel from Nazky. Keeping the linux USB as the *only* usb plugged in before launching the payload gave me a proper display. Then you can plug in a keyboard or hub after startup. Hope that works for you.
Thanks for sharing the experience. The 5.3.18 kerne boot is successful. But there is a black screen problem,

Reactions: AfricanLuigi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: