OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
So I have an old Toshiba laptop with a home version of windows xp with sp3. I got a BSOD that refers to itself as "BAD_POOL_HEADER". Now I would have just simply googled for this problem, and I did, but it didn't help me. GBAtemp is my only hope left!
What I've tried:
  • Going into safemode and doing a sfc /scannow (I get a bsod when entering safe mode)
  • Using a live Windows XP boot cd (It just goes right into installing windows, no options for recovery and such)
  • Cleaning my registry with CCLeaner (it didn't help, not to mention I have about 30 seconds until my pc goes BSOD)
  • Googling the problem (the results are either commercials for spamware or forum threads that have similar problems, but the solution to them was entering safe mode or using a bootdisk, which didn't work for me)
NEW:
  • Tried memtest + a check with gparted by using a debian live disk, there are no problems with my hdd
  • Tried booting through a usb stick with ubuntu on it (so I can copy windows files from a disk onto my pc), didn't work. PC doesnt show any options for booting from USB, only from HDD, Floppy, CD Rom and lan.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
RAM issues, or IO misreads sending corrupt data to the memory pool. Sometimes caused by driver issues. This usually occurs in conjunction to other BSOD messages such as IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Top google result suggests trying to unplug all external devices (aside from monitor) to see if any peripheral drivers are causing it.
You can also run a memtest and a chkdsk to test the RAM and primary HDD for issues.
For more detailed checks, you can try getting a diagnostic tool for your specific HDD (e.g. Seatools for Seagate HDDs).

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a RAM issue to me. Download something like Memtest86+, get it running, and leave it testing overnight. If it pops up any errors, you probably need to replace the RAM.

Plainscript

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Feel free to try this (just to be sure there isn't some dodgy driver issue)

Try Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if possible.

Print/copy/whatever the following page and scroll down to Command Line Interface: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Try: verifier.exe /standard & more importantly

verifier.exe /all

Might do a couple of reboots.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I had this error on a couple of my users...in the end, we had to replace the memory (memtest86+ showed errors). If it's too hard to create a bootCD containing memtest86+, at least try removing some of the memory bars (assuming you've got more than 1) to see if that changes things.

While the "Chkdsk /f" command does some fixing, it doesn't make for a permanent solution (at least not in the cases I've found). To be honest, I think it just clears out the garbage from the last crashes without taking care of the real problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head