Bad DVD drive or bad discs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Tom Bombadildo, Nov 12, 2011.

Nov 12, 2011
  1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I've been having slight troubles with my DVD drive lately and was just wondering if perhaps it's just dying out or whether the discs I'm using are bad. Yesterday I tried out the Skyward Sword leak on a Magnavox DVD+R single layer 4.7 GB disc and at first it read it fine, but after about 5 minutes of play it stopped reading. I figured the disc might have been dirty as I set it on top of my Wii (which, to be honest, could probably use a thorough clean). Checked the disc, cleaned it off, popped it back in and my Wii wouldn't read it at all. So is this the disc or the drive? If it's the drive that's fine as I have a USB drive so if I need to I can just use that. My Wii is a launch day Wii and has been used quite a bit so I'm a bit suspicious of the drive being bad but I figured I'd ask here.

2. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Well, +R media tends to have lower compability than -R. If this is true for the Wii I dont know (d3-2 drive, wohoo -.-).

Its kinda hard to determine what the fault is. Id say try another media though.

edit: It can also be as simple as there was an error during the burning process (which happens every now and then).

3. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    Right, I just don't have any -R's around and have always used them with no problems. I'll have to buy some -R's and try it out. And it couldn't be the burning process as I burnt Skyward Sword twice...I mean I suppose it's possible, but not probable.

4. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Yeah ok. If you burned it twice already its quite safe to assume its not the burning.
    But have you checked that the ISO is actually working (in dolphin or from a usb device)?

5. TerraPhantm

Member TerraPhantm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If your drive supports it, set the booktype to DVD-rom. That makes it easier for +Rs to work.

6. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    I have. It works fine with my HDD and that's what I'm playing it on right now.

7. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    DVD+R is atrocious for wii lens. I mean it's more strain for it than just using DVD-R even if you change the booktype. And considering you have a launch wii, it would be a good idea to use a DVD lens cleaner. At least that's what I've been doing with 2 wiis and their DVD reads are smoothly (even if their DVD drive are working at 3x.. due to softmod)