Backup saves from retail cards to Gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Scorchy, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Hello, when i got my 4.X 3DS, i backed all my retail games with gateway games dump tool and i also dumped all saves with Gateway save dump tool. I've tryed few games and only retail Animal Crossing: New Leaf save is working on Gateway BUT when i dumped my saves AC:NL was the only game which i did'nt backed up because it gave me an error. I succeed to dump all my other games+saves tough but my saves is'nt appearing. So here's a list of my retail games i dumped, so you can tell me if it's normal those saves won't dump:

- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    - Mario Kart 7
    - A link between worlds
    - Paper Mario Sticker Star
    - SteelDiver (yea,yea, i know what you think..)
    - Professor Layton and the miracle mask
    - Luigi Mansion 2
    - Animal Crossing: New Leaf (only one working)

All games are USA region, and i've all changed their extension to .3DZ (if it someone matters)

2. EvansTasya
    This message by EvansTasya has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 28, 2014, Reason: spam.
    Aug 28, 2014
  3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    There are two type of games called: Card1 and Card2

Card1 has a save chipset which can be extracted.
    Card2 doesn't have a save chipset, the save data is stored in the same chipset than the game data. (after the game data, there are still some free space and the save is here).

Animal crossing is a Card2 type cartridge, and this is why it couldn't extract the save chipset (there's none), and why the savegame worked fine (it's included with the game).
    Other notable Card2 type cartridge : Pokemon X/Y, Tomodachi Life.
    When playing the ROM, the save is also stored directly in the game's data (in the ROM). There are tools to extract/insert save into the ROM if you need to backup your savegame.

For the other games using Card1 type, the save is encrypted to the cartridge unique ID.
    When extracting the ROM from the cartridge, Gateway dumper adds the unique ID to the ROM. All you have to do to "enable" the use of this key is to rename the rom from .3ds to .3dz

When you extract the save data from a Card1 type, the save file is using the correct file size (128kb or 512kb), but Gateway 3DS ROM launcher is compatible only with savegame size 512kb.
    If you have games using smaller file size, it's probably why you couldn't load your save files.

Attention :
    When you extract the save from the cartridge, to do run the ROM with .3ds extension, it will overwrite the data and reset the game progress because you didn't tell the game to use the key to decrypt the savegame properly.

Steps:
    1. dump the ROM
    2. dump the save
    3. on your SD card: rename the save to GameID.sav (you can find a list of GameID on http://3ds.essh.co)
    4. move the ROM to your microSD card, and rename to .3dz
    5. play :)

Abcdfv likes this.
  4. wyll001

wyll001 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Brazil
    this is a complete gamble, but you could try using save transfet tool from eShop to extract the save from the cartridge to the ds card and to a pc back to the Gateway, no, i'm not telling to get to eShop, and it's uselees to look for a backup, since you need the game card slot free, right? just wait a few days, and i'll back with a solution, i promise.

5. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    I forgot to do the third step, that was my problem, but now i used your website, changed the names on my 512Ko to titleID and it works! The only problem, is that only 3 of my games(more like 2 cuz Steeldiver is one of them) were 512ko. Is there any way to restore my 128ko saves? That would be great so i could resell all my retail games.. But thanks you for your answer Cyan, really helped me.
    If you can get back with a solution for my 4 128ko games (Luigi Mansion, Paper Mario,Miracle Mask,Link between worlds) that would really help me. What you're saying now is a bit confusing for me.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Gateway team announced that they will rework the save option for next version (not 2.3).
    maybe they will add support for real save size instead of forcing 512k.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. morph95

morph95 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2014
    France
    Hello,
    Which please ?

Margen67 likes this.
  8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Margen67 likes this.
  9. shoy

shoy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    Margen67 likes this.
  10. Rurounik9999

Rurounik9999 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2004
    Brazil
    So we're in the same boat.
    I have a copy of LBTW and just want to change it from 128k to 512k so i can play it on my Gateway.

For Pokemon, there is no way to play it on Gateway from a retail, since you can't even play it using the real card(once it's already played on a recent firmware retail 3DS).