Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBC is mostly hardware these days.
http://reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm#Home made programming systems
http://hackaday.com/2013/05/17/reading-game-boy-carts-with-i2c/
There were a few flash cart setups the other year if you were looking for something more off the shelf, however then everdrive came along so I am not sure what goes here. I don't think you can use the everdrive for it though.

GBA can be hardware (first site above has some stuff for GBA as well).
If you have a DS/DS lite and a DS flash cart you can use, even if you don't a $10 DS and a $5 flash cart would probably still be easier in the long run.
https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/applications/download-gba-backup-tool-0-21-f3228.html

Grim Ripper

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
For the gb/gbc you can use a mega memory + gb/gbc flashcard.

Unfortunately i don't have the link to the mega memory now, i bought it from Amazon.
Then i bought the smart cart 64 in order to restore the save and make a backup in my pc. (at the time everdrive for gb/gbc didn't exist)

Temperal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm in the process of tracking down a mega memory card o bays. Since amazon is out of stock. Trouble is the auction ends when I won't be around a way to check. Does anyone know if the retron 5 can do both gbc and gba games? This would be cheaper and better for me since I want to play old games too without having to unhook all the wires up for multiple systems

Good Journey

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I truly do suggest any old DS/DS lite and any old DS flash cart (though might as well get an acceptable one as they are not much more) for dumping GBA games.
PC based methods either require custom made hardware or somewhat rare and possibly expensive hardware, a cable with a serial port on your machine, possibly having XP or fiddling with drivers or possibly some futzing around with networking and servers (not sure about GBA, most of that was for DS).
The DS and DS flash cart routine involves said flash cart, running a piece of homebrew you copied over, pressing dump, waiting not so long (they are only 32 megs max after all) and then reading the files nicely off your DS flash cart's microSD card.

I love my EZ2 linker/cradle and have it set up for dumping games/saves I want to dump but going in cold I would still pick DS and DS homebrew for it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The DS lite falls under the umbrella of any old DS/DS lite, and the R4 falls under the umbrella of any old flash cart (it is a DLDI supporting DS slot flash cart, all good). Unless I confused means by saying any old -- I just mean it as slang (any old car will do, I just need to get there sort of thing) rather than you need an older model of things, apologies if so.

Temperal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK so I have all the software I need i think GBA Backup Tool, virtualboy advance M, and the R4 and the DS lite. Now how the heck do i get the proper software on the R4. What do I need to get this to work? I tried copying things over and all I get is the loading screen. Forgive me it's been forever since I've used my DS and put any home brew on my R4 since all my old Micro SD Cards got lost.

Last edited by Temperal,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup