Backup/Restore your Nand + Get your biskeys+tseckeys+keys.txt Guide

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Canna, Jul 31, 2018.

1. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Alright. I got the very nice author of TegraRCMGUI, @eliboa , to update their project! It now includes biskeydumpv9 for 8.1.0!!!! While I'm not trying to make Canna's post obsolete, I am trying to get everyone updated methods for backing up their Switches. So, if you need to dump biskeys and you're on 8.1.0, load up TegraRCMGUI and press the button for biskeydump! That's it! https://github.com/eliboa/TegraRcmGUI/releases/tag/2.6

Hekate or the NX Nand Manager (also written by @eliboa ) I posted can dump the rest for ya through their menus. NX Nand Manager requires a Windows PC, but dumps directly to your hard drive, not to the SD card. https://github.com/eliboa/NxNandManager/releases

Last edited by OrGoN3, Jul 3, 2019 - Reason: updated to add links and correct the name. It's TegraRCMGUI, not TegraSmashGUI.
  2. bird333

bird333 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2018
    United States
    I don't see an option under tools for backing up biskeys. Is the 'biskeydump.bin' payload the same thing?

Last edited by bird333, Jul 15, 2019
  3. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Yes.

4. barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    United States
    quick question, was wondering waht option to choose if im not using the boot files? restoring same firmware just want to "clean" the console as im going to try sxos for a minute . thanX in advance

5. ColasBCK

ColasBCK Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    France
    Hi guys, I'm new here and have a "simple" (not for me) question :)
    I'd like to restore my NAND (which is clean) and my switch is in autoRCM.
    Do I have to disable autoRCM before doing it ?
    Or will the backup "delete" the autoRCM since it will bring my switch to its "clean" state ?
    Thank's in advance for your answer :)

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well you do not have to disable AutoRCM to restore your NAND. If your NAND was dumped before AutoRCM was enabled, then restoring your NAND will return it to the state before AutoRCM was enabled.

7. junk18993

junk18993 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2019
    Australia
    This guide is really really bad. If you extract the SD Files to your SD card when you run Hekate.bin instead of Hekate running it will attempt to boot something else (SX I think) and you get an error screen with a red pixel emoji and the word boot.dat (something like that) which almost certainly puts entries in the Switch's log ruining your chance of getting a clean backup.

Don't use the SD Files just use the Tegra payloads for biskey and lockpick.

You should probably edit your guide or fix the SD Files before you ruin even more peoples clean backups.

Last edited by junk18993, Aug 11, 2019
  8. Canna
    OP

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    you should learn about how logs are created, and learn to not be such a rude little sh^t..

The problem was the autoboot setting of hekate. but your know that if you knew anything .... do some research, learn and then tell me im wrong and my guide and files are worthless...

The issue of the autoboot was fixed, and i have updated my files so no autoboot occurs... im sorry ctcaer updated his ini in hekate and it had autoboot enabled.. i cant catch everything...

im sorry if this has ruined anyone else's delicate little lifes...

vince741 and Ramoth like this.
  9. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Would like to make suggestion on step 21.
    Please add - (Backing up EMMC USER is Your Choice as it requires 26gb Extra)
    Used to backup your User files saves games straigher after where you wrote “Backup eMMC USER”

Went onto backup emmc user to only then read it is optional. Since this is optional and no way to cancel, you will have to wait for a long time for it to finish.

10. junk18993

junk18993 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2019
    Australia
    Apology accepted.

11. bitofaloser

bitofaloser Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks very much for this guide, and thanks to anyone who is contributing their time and effort.

I am on firmware 8.1.0. I followed the Backup Guide on the first page using the attached files. I got to Print TSEC keys in Step 13 and got a message to the effect of "unknown pkg1". After some poking around a couple forums, I decided to try to inject the latest hekate from github (hekate_ctcaer_5.0.1.bin) and inject that while keeping everything else the same as it is in the guide.

This got me past the TSEC keys part and they successfully dumped, however now I am on Step 16 Select “Dump package1/2” and allow this to run, but my Switch doesn't seem to be doing anything. I selected this option and the screen says:

Found pkg1 ('20190531152432').

sept will run to get the keys.
    Then rerun this option.

...but the screen is just sitting here doing nothing. It has been like this for a really long time. Probably an hour or so now. Am I supposed to do something else here now? Do I need to update more of the software that I am running to get this all working?

12. bitofaloser

bitofaloser Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Canada
    OK. Did a bunch of reading on Hekate and realized that I don't really need to dump package1/2, but just in case I ever need it for any other tools or software I want to run, It seemed like a good idea to keep trying. Realizing that 'sept' is something that comes with atmosphere, I downloaded the latest version of atmosphere and after extracting the contends of the sdfiles attached to the first post onto my card, I the copied the latest version of atmosphere onto it as well.

I got to the screen that says

"Found pkg1 ('20190531152432').

sept will run to get the keys.
    Then rerun this option."

I pressed the power button (even though the instructions above don't say to, and the instructions on page one don't say to) and this loaded something called sept and returned me to the menu. I went back into the "Dump package1/2" option, but this time it said

"Found pkg1 ('20190531152432').

Kernel size: 0x2C2000
    INI1 size: 0x00000

pkg2 dumped to pkg2_decr.bin
    Kernel dumped to kernel.bin
    INI1 dumped to ini1.bin

Done. Press any key..."

So I guess I am good? Hope so! Hope this helps someone else if they are stuck.

Off to complete the rest of my backups now...

EDIT:

"Failed on step 24 "Select "BisKeyDump" from the Tools section".

Grabbed biskeydumpv9, replaced it in the bootloader\tools folder and ran it again. It worked this time.

I also grabbed the newest lockpick_RCM for step 27. Not sure I needed to, but it seems to make sense that I do.

Success! All backed up on firmware 8.1.0."

Last edited by porkiewpyne, Aug 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM - Reason: As per request