Backup Loader having a possibility to play burned GC games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Link5084, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Can this happen? The backup loader playing burned GC games on a Wii disc?

2. I'm very positive that WiiGator or Forsaeken is working on Gamecube backups as we speak. =]

You can burn them on a standard DVD and as a plus, this site has a multi ISO maker for gamecube games so you do not have to waste a whole disk of space for something less than a 1gb... [​IMG]

I plan on collecting all of the Resident Evils once it's created!!! [​IMG]D

3. Miles

Member Miles GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My understanding is that it's impossible.
    You'd have to make a Gamecube emulator for the Wii to load backups via software without booting into GC mode.
    Once the Wii goes into GC mode, you have lost all access to the Wii side of the hardware and software.
    The only way we'd be able to do a software backup loader is by programming one to work on the GC.
    We already have SD Boot, but it's not that mature and it's abandoned (Last I checked at least)
    It requires you to install the Gamecube Homebrew launcher and have an SD Gecko on hand.

4. digitydogs

Member digitydogs 404 Error: Member Not Found

United States
    Its not impossible its just more work then those with enough knowledge are willing to put in at the moment. Its been stated that the MIOS needs hacking along with another module. do a board search on the topic and you'll see where wiigator hinted to djtaz how to do it, along with several theories on how to do it and why its not been done, and probably won't be for quite some time if ever.

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Theoretically possible. There has been discussion it it by wiigator and ppc_gba (hope i spelt that nick right off hand...)

One required part is MIOS hacking.

Of course you can't run GC games in wii mode, but it is already possible to boot the wii into GC mode and MIOS determines how GC mode runs.

I don't understand it in detail, but hopefully someone is working on it [​IMG]

6. Link5084
    OP

United States
    I hope so. Should I just wait or just pay someone to install a modchip on my Wii? And also, would their compatibility loader for GC games be 100% like the modchip does for GC games?

7. digitydogs

Member digitydogs 404 Error: Member Not Found

United States
    if playing game cube backups is important to you then your best bet is to buy a chip. there aren't currently any known projects working on this and much like the backup loader even if we do get one it will be several months and revisions later before we'd get close to 100% compatability. Gamma and softchip are close for wii games but still not at 100%. once they reach 100% the developers may shift to getting GC games running.

8. Link5084
    OP

United States
    Yeah. You can't softmod a Gamecube unlike the PS2 or Xbox where you can load backups easily and you have to modchip a GC in order to play games and the discs for it are really hard to find, so I guess just playing GC games on a Wii disk and playing them on a Wii is the only best oprion to go here, eh?

9. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    First, you can softmod a GameCube... it required the Network adapter, and Phatasy Star Online (one of them, can't remember)

You tricked the GC into loading code via the online part... can't remember exactly how it was done, but it IS possible... just hard... lol

Second, just because there's no KNOWN project in patching MIOS doesn't mean there isn't one... how KNOWN was Waninkoko's backup launcher before it got leaked? He was probably working on it for months before someone said anything about it... who knows, it's xmas today, maybe one of the uber geeks here will release something today! I doubt it, but who knows!