Hacking Backup Dumping

CamaroShifter88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I first joined the forums back in the day when wanting to get a wii, until I got broke, but I just won a wii, so looking at modding it now. But the past few days I've been trying to keep up w/ all the hype going around teh forums, such as SMG's protection and whatnot.

However, what I'm trying to get at is I'm trying to find a way to get wii backups. I am currently living on campus however.. and they monitor what we download, and we have a 4gb/wk bandwidth, which gets cut to dialup when exceeded. Long story short.. downloading games will be a no-go for awhile. So I'm thinking i'm going to have to borrow some games and back them up (hit up Blockbuster a few times). I understand this is a tedious process, and have read some guides to doing it, however they are all extremely outdated. I was wondering if there have been any newer releases or anything that would help? Or if there are any new ROMs out that could backup wii games, rather than those posted back in the early times of wii mod-chips.

Long story short, have there been any recent strides in the technology of dumping that I'm missing out on? I've done searching, but nothing too recent comes up. That, and I'm not sure if it's possible to backup blockbuster games? I'm new w/ modchips
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
There's a way to dump them without the LG drive.

You'd need a Gecko SD adapter (for GC), SD card, and a dumper GC homebrew app.

I use this dumper app:
http://www.samutz.com/dumpster/temp/dvddump.rar
(I don't really know where it came from and I haven't been able to find a website for it, so I keep it up on mine.)

Basically, you run the dumper and it'll dump the iso onto the SD card.
If it doesn't fit on the card, it'll do it in parts, then you combine the parts on the computer.

Edit:
I should clarify.
Rather than dumping directly from the disc to the computer, this method dumps from the disc to the SD card (through Wii and Gecko) to the computer (through SD card reader).
This works for both Wii and GC games.

CamaroShifter88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hah, sorry. I'll get to the sig in a bit. I 4got about those..

But thanks for the help everyone. I'm not really looking at putting anything on an SD card.. just too little space for me, and too much of a hassle. Maybe I'm wrong.. it's been awhile. But I'll def look into it, and look over those links.

So dumping from Blockbuster games should be just fine though? They don't have anything special on them to prevent this? Thanks again everyone.

azzytee

Trophies
XP
Country
Easy pie. I bought a wiikey a long time ago, and nearly fried my wii and lifted two pads trying to install it.

Soo... then I waited a few months, bought the proper soldering equipment and trained on a stick of ram (soldering directly to the legs).

If you are planning on chipping the wii yourself, it's really easy to do the internal sd gecko mod. A lot easier than installing the chip. The wiikey cd-rom has a SD backup util on it, and there are others also. If you do the internal mod, and go buy a 2GB sd card (I got mine for like $22), then dumping is simple! I takes a few hours per game, but that's quicker than downloading, and with a 2GB card it's only one swap.

Instructions are here if you're interested: http://www.sockrocket.com/wii/

Good luck.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
*sigh*

Them bots these days. They used to make new subjects, so it was clear they were just here to advertise. What's the world coming to if they start bumping 3-year old threads without reason?
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: you're in a pre-menstral phase