1. tetsudattekudasai

OP tetsudattekudasai Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    I've been experimenting with Linux on my laptop lately. I'm worried that insecure practices like browsing the internet on an administrator account will get me hacked. I don't really care what happens to the copy of Linux on a USB stick. There are some files containing personal details on my internal hard drive. If I get hacked then the data from the internal hard drives can get leaked which will lead to my identity being stolen.

It is difficult to remove these hard drives from my laptop. I looked up the repair manual online and it warns me time and time again about static electricity damaging the hardware. I destroyed the last laptop I dismantled :(

Is it possible for me to backup my hard drive firmware, corrupt the firmware then restore it? It should be extremely difficult for a hacker to access my hard drive if the firmware is corrupted.

2. supersega

supersega Member
    Newcomer

United States
    ...I'm sorry, what? Laptop drives are easy to remove and most are designed to have that done to be upgraded, if you can't do that correctly, don't mess with anything. Firmware means nothing in a hard drive, as I could buy an identical drive to yours off of eBay, swap the boards, and have full access to all of your data. The only way to completely destroy information on a hard drive is to shred it, or take the platters out, smash them with a hammer, and dump the pieces in random garbage bins.

Besides, no hacker is gonna give half a rat's behind about your personal data anyways. They have bigger fish to fry than Joe in Nebraska.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  3. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

United States
    No it isn't as simple as replacing the board even with similar models and firmware. There is a lot more going on for each individual harddrive. What you're proposing requires an expensive hardware and subscription to be able to read dump the firmware data and placing it onto the donor board, or extract the controller chips from the defective drive and soldering to the donor board (this may not even be enough for some brand).
    Also degaussing is a great way to permanently destroy data on magnetic based HDD.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  4. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If your that worries use a virtual machine to browse the web.

CORE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - firmware, restore, corrupt