Hacking Backup and play Retail GC games from HDD?

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a launch Wii which is softmodded and plays all my normal Wii retails disks from my ext. HDD via cfg Loader v70. I just found a box of all my older GC games and wondered if there's ANY way to get them onto this HDD and play them as well. Obviously I can just load them in one by one but like my Wii games, I'd prefer to install them and have them all available whenever I want.

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but the only topics I've found are older and they all seem to say different things. Looking for a current yay or nay.

Thanks!

dude22072

Trophies
Website
dude22072.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a launch Wii which is softmodded and plays all my normal Wii retails disks from my ext. HDD via cfg Loader v70. I just found a box of all my older GC games and wondered if there's ANY way to get them onto this HDD and play them as well. Obviously I can just load them in one by one but like my Wii games, I'd prefer to install them and have them all available whenever I want.

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but the only topics I've found are older and they all seem to say different things. Looking for a current yay or nay.

Thanks!
their is a app called "CleanRip" that turns both wii and GC games into .iso files.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks!
their is a app called "CleanRip" that turns both wii and GC games into .iso files.
although it can rip them, there's no way to run gc games via USB HDD on a wii currently.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
A very talented developer is working on this, and he calls it Devolution.

However, the thread has been locked due to excessive AP talk, and it doesn't look like a release is coming in the immediate future.

dude22072

Trophies
Website
dude22072.com
XP
Country
United States

Thanks!
although it can rip them, there's no way to run gc games via USB HDD on a wii currently.
wbfs+neogamma?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii games only, dude.....
The OP is asking if you can play GC from USB, you cannot.

However, with some loaders you CAN keep your GC games on your USB drive and let the loader copy them over to the SD card before they are run. Of course, that means slow startup times even with a fast Class 10 SD card.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
However, with some loaders you CAN keep your GC games on your USB drive and let the loader copy them over to the SD card before they are run. Of course, that means slow startup times even with a fast Class 10 SD card.
and it means that your SD card will wear out over time (because of continual rewrites)
it might take a few years but I would not get the most expensive one

while the loader might be able to employ strategies to counter that but I would not bet on it

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
the usb ports don't work in gc mode

No, that is not true at all as there is really no such thing as "gc mode". What actually happens is that USB ports (and Bluetooth) can't be used at the same time as Gamecube ARAM. Since just about every Gamecube game uses ARAM that means only a handful of games can be run from USB and even those will have serious problems.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
DML will play Gamecube games from SD, but not from USB. WODE rips and plays both Gamecube and Wii games using USB. Neither support audio streaming (streamed audio playback is muted).

http://www.wodejukebox.com/wodestandard.php

Yet to be released, Devolution will purportedly play Gamecube games from USB, with audio streaming support.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and it means that your SD card will wear out over time (because of continual rewrites)
it might take a few years but I would not get the most expensive one

while the loader might be able to employ strategies to counter that but I would not bet on it

To clarify, I know this is how it works with the latest USB Loader GX MOD.
- Install Gamecube game to USB drive.
- Click on Gamecube game to play.
- USB Loader GX MOD will ask to temporarily copy game to SD card.
- It also gives you the option to view other games copied this way and delete them if you want.
- After this initial copy, it keeps it on the SD and will never ask to copy again unless you delete it.

This way you keep all your GC games on your USB hard drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb