Backing up your saves the easy way.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by PuyoDead, Jun 7, 2009.

Jun 7, 2009
  1. PuyoDead
    OP

Member PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    So it was suggested that I make a topic about this (thanks flameiguana!). I figured this was already discussed, but I can't find a topic on it. So, here goes...

How to have a single file to run off your card to back up all your game saves.

First, the quick basic way to do this:
    Make a new text file in the root of your microsd card. Name it backup.bat (NOT backup.bat.txt). After you've done that, right click on it and hit edit. Now, this is a basic example of what to place in there:

Code:
    xcopy /S /I /Y /D *.sav C:\NDS\Saves\
    With that, it will scan the whole card for any .sav files, and write them to C:\NDS\Saves. If you want to save them to a different directory, just change the C:\NDS\Saves\ part. If it's a long directory name (over 8 characters)or has spaces, frame it with quotes. Like such:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\thisiswhereiputsaves"
    Also, this will only save any .sav files that are newer than what is already backed up. So the first time it is ran, it'll copy all of them over. But if you only play 2 games, the next time it will only copy those 2 .sav files.

If you want it to only copy saves from a specific directory on the sd card, change the *.sav part. Say you only want to copy saves from x:\ROMS. Since your drive letter will most likely not always be the same, just use ROMS\NDS\*.sav in the middle. Put all of that together, and it would be like this example:

Code:
    xcopy /S /I /Y /D ROMS\NDS\*.sav "C:\Program Files\thisiswhereiputsaves"
    Now whenever you plug your microsd card in, double click that backup.bat file, and it'll copy your saves over, and close itself.

Now, if you want to have even fancier pants, you can do this in addition to what is above. If you don't already have a file named autorun.inf, make one in the root of the card. Open it (if it doesn't open to edit, just open it with notepad), and put this in there:

Code:
    [autorun]
    action=Back up game saves
    open=backup.bat
    If you already have that file, just add those last two in there. Now when you plug in your microsd, the box that windows pops up that asks what you want to do with the card (print pictures, view contents, that kinda stuff) will have one at the top that says "Back up game saves". Hit ok for that one, and it'll be the same as running that batch file manually. If you want an icon for it, you can add icon=icon.ico and stick an icon of your choice in the root of the microsd, and either change it to icon.ico, or change the part after icon=. I myself have an AK2i with AKAIO installed, and it has an icon in there anyway (in \___aio\). So I added a line, and mine looks like this:

Code:
    [autorun]
    action=Back up game saves
    open=backup.bat
    icon=__aio\ak.ico
    And now I have the AK icon for it. Hopefully that's clear enough, and helpful to some folks. I'm not expert on this stuff, so if anyone has any suggestions for ways to do this better/cleaner, feel free to chime in.

2. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I use Microsoft's SyncToy. It lets you sync up two folders to make sure your files are up to date. It's a "1 button backup" tool.

1) Plug microSD into your PC (using adaptor, reader, etc)
    2) Setup SyncToy to link your microSD to a folder on your computer (Echo mode - any changes to files on your card will be reflected in the backup folder)
    3) Hit the RUN button and any modified files on your card will be backed up in the folder on the computer. You can PREVIEW the files before you run if you want.

Anytime you want to back up your files, just plug the card into your computer and run SyncToy. You can customize it to only monitor certain files like *.sav or whatever you want.

The way I set it up is to back up everything on my card except the NDS files. Anything, including files and folders that are deleted/added/updated on my microSD will be mirrored in the backup folder every time I hit RUN. I use this program to backup files from my PC to an external HD as well. Best of all, it's free!

Note: AKAIO does not update the SAV file's timestamp so you have to tell SyncToy to "Check File Contents" otherwise it think it hasn't changed and won't back it up.

If I have time, I may write up a tutorial with screenshots and post it in the forums.

3. PuyoDead
    OP

Member PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    Well that sounds like an excellent way to do it, too! Good for those that don't want to mess around with all the manual editing stuff. Thanks for the suggestion!

4. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    No prob.

One downside with SyncToy is that the drive letter of your microSD must remain the same or else it won't find it. If for any reason you plug in your card and the drive letter changes, you'll have to set it up again or manually change it with the Disk Manager in Windows.