Hacking Backing Up Saved Game to USB HDD

patri0t82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! I have been able to back up my games to SD and then reinstall them onto the USB drive and they work great. My problem is, none of the old saved games are available.
When I loaded SaveMii, it goes to a black screen with the HDD plugged in. I disconnected the HDD and made a back up of the saved games, but there's no way to import to the USB drive.

Is it possible to somehow import my games to the HDD?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I have been able to back up my games to SD and then reinstall them onto the USB drive and they work great. My problem is, none of the old saved games are available.
When I loaded SaveMii, it goes to a black screen with the HDD plugged in. I disconnected the HDD and made a back up of the saved games, but there's no way to import to the USB drive.

Is it possible to somehow import my games to the HDD?
Um talking about saves for games or games themselves?

patri0t82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's like the games running off the HDD are new. My saved games from Wind Waker are gone, my progress in Smash is gone, etc.
I'd like to export the saved games from the console and import them to the usb drive.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your posts are confusing because there's Wind Waker on Gamecube and Wind Waker HD on Wii U. There's also Smash on both, clarify exactly what you mean. What system are you referring to when you say the saves aren't there?

patri0t82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your posts are confusing because there's Wind Waker on Gamecube and Wind Waker HD on Wii U. There's also Smash on both, clarify exactly what you mean. What system are you referring to when you say the saves aren't there?

So sorry!
Okay I'm referring to Wii U games. I have them installed normally by disc. Wind Waker HD and Smash Wii U. I then dumped via Disc2App and installed them to the HDD, but have no way of bringing my saved games over too. They don't show up when I load from the HDD.

Sorry again for the unclarity.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SaveMii can do that you need to backup saves from system nand and restore them to the game on usb.

But I cannot tell you exactly why SaveMii is a black screen when the hdd is plugged. Try another version of SaveMii.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

patri0t82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SaveMii can do that you need to backup saves from system nand and restore them to the game on usb.

But I cannot tell you exactly why SaveMii is a black screen when the hdd is plugged. Try another version of SaveMii.
Thank you for the response. I will say, when I start SaveMii with the HDD off, it starts, and then I can plug the HDD in. Do you know for sure if there's a way to select USB instead of SD?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you're talking about "select usb instead of sd" Do what I said and backup the save from the nand to the sd card, then restore that save to the usb. If you just look at it you should see "Wind Waker nand" and "Wind Waker usb"

patri0t82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know what you're talking about "select usb instead of sd" Do what I said and backup the save from the nand to the sd card, then restore that save to the usb. If you just look at it you should see "Wind Waker nand" and "Wind Waker usb"

Okay, thanks again. I'll check as soon as I get the chance.

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
btw, to restore a save you first need to have used the game to the point it create save data (you cant just instal the game and restore the save immediately, you need to "initialize" the save first)

and to transfer the game from nand to hdd you dont need to back it up to sd and then restore, you can transfer/copy them with the wiiU data managment tools

Last edited by Engezerstorung,

patri0t82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and to transfer the game from nand to hdd you dont need to back it up to sd and then restore, you can transfer/copy them with the wiiU data managment tools

With regards to this - when I went in to Data Management in the system menu, I had the option to move the Game itself to the HDD but not the save file.. is that what you're referring to?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been several years since I went from disc games to hard drive so I could be remembering wrong but I was pretty sure you can't just move the save in data management to the usb drive you have to do it through SaveMii. Regardless I know for sure you can through SaveMii.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
no you can moves the saves, what you cannot do is move things of the same game separately
in the data management of a game you have:
- base game if installed
- update
- dlc
- save

you also cannot "merge" things if they are on different support, a "full pack" replace another, so for exemple if you have the save in nand, and want to install the game on usb, first you move/copy the save on usb then install the game

and if you dont, once you installed your game on usb and launch it, it will considere that there is no save (and the opposite is also true), save and game need to be in the same pack (and again you cant "merge" two packs)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

With regards to this - when I went in to Data Management in the system menu, I had the option to move the Game itself to the HDD but not the save file.. is that what you're referring to?

its because if you move it it will also move the save, it doesnt move things separately, so when it propose to move the game it include the save

Last edited by Engezerstorung,

patri0t82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no you can moves the saves, what you cannot do is move things of the same game separately
in the data management of a game you have:
- base game if installed
- update
- dlc
- save

you also cannot "merge" things if they are on different support, a "full pack" replace another, so for exemple if you have the save in nand, and want to install the game on usb, first you move/copy the save on usb then install the game

and if you dont, once you installed your game on usb and launch it, it will considere that there is no save (and the opposite is also true), save and game need to be in the same pack (and again you cant "merge" two packs)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its because if you move it it will also move the save, it doesnt move things separately, so when it propose to move the game it include the save

Thanks so much for all your help. I can't help but wonder. This seems so cumbersome. How do most people back up to hdd and use custom saved games?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for all your help. I can't help but wonder. This seems so cumbersome. How do most people back up to hdd and use custom saved games?

saviine or savemii. I've used saviine, and system config tool together. saviine can backup all saves for wii and vwii I believe at the same time. saviine is like one at a time, and system config tool I believe can only backup wii u game saves (all at the same time though). the version I have can't restore them but saviine can.

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
you dont "backup to hdd", on wiiU the hdd act as a memory extention, the files are managed exactly as they are in the nand (and the hdd have an encryption to make it work only on this specifi wiiU installation, if wont work on another wiiU or if you format the system)

if you talk about doing a manual backup to have a copy somewhere safe (or share them with someone else) you cant with an official system, you need to use homebrew to dump them to the SD card, (savemii or saviine), but its not like moving them on hdd at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: